Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #3,196 of 8,051
Oh look, the website has been redesigned and we can finally post again!

Dunno how I feel about it, usually am open to new themes that increase usability, but this feels.. different.

Anyway, took this screenshot for all of you wondering if those who ordered the second batch that became available last Saturday / Friday (Australia / America) was going to be refurbs essentially. (Old units that were revised.)

Capture.PNG

Seems like common sense now that we have the answer, but doubt can play on the mind.
Mine is currently I believe being processed through customs in Sydney, NSW and then should be on it's way.

Scheduled for 1st of May, this Monday coming Australian timezone.
Hoping it arrives Friday instead, but we shall see.

Very excited, most nervous about the amount of bass it'll have and the quality as that's what really draws me into my movies and games, music I can adjust to less bass somewhat.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3,197 of 8,051
Well, mine shipped late yesterday... sadly the arrival estimate is next Tuesday.

Also, there were FAR more than 500 in this batch. Yesterday evening, after reading several mentions of low inventory throughout the day, I went to the Monoprice site and put 500 in my cart to get an inventory count, and it said 494 available. So they obviously replenished inventory at least once yesterday.

As of right now there are 324 in inventory... so the surge has passed. :wink:
I noticed the same thing, glad more people can get their hands on it now. :)

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #3,198 of 8,051
Whoever designed the MMCX cable is an absolute idiot.

I cut the right angle jack off to terminate an XLR connector to make a balanced cable because I know there's two ground wires. This would make you think they use a separate ground if there's two ground wires at the right angle connector, right? Nope.

Turns out all four wires, the left+, right+, and two grounds, go to EACH MMCX connector... Only difference is one of the positive wires is not soldered on to corresponding MMCX connector, but it's still ran all the way to it, and both ground wires are attached to each. Now I ruined the cable because it can't be balanced, even though it has two ground wires.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #3,199 of 8,051
BTW, there's an unboxing vid of the v2 on Youtube:

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #3,200 of 8,051
Well, finally got the Monoprice notification email...

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #3,201 of 8,051
Yes mine, at least 2 out of the three that I requested just showed up about 20 minutes ago.
Quite timely...

Apr 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #3,203 of 8,051
Those seem kind of short. These are pretty large headphones, and might not sit flush with that. BTW, I don't use any headphone stands. My headphones all lay on their sides as it puts the least amount of tension and pressure on the pads and headband.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,206 of 8,051
The MMCX connectors are used quite a lot for IEMs due to their smaller size. Its why Hifiman used to use the SMC connectors until going to the 2.5mm (which has issues also IMO) I've built a few MMCX cables and many SMC cables and have yet to have any go bad while I've had 2 2.5mm jacks go bad but its on the female side (headphone) that is the problem for me. And since the female 2.5mm is quite large it makes doing the removable cable mod for TH-X00/600/900 a problem since you need to cup the cups where the MMCX or SMC jacks don't. If anything I wish the M1060 used mini-XLR but they are quite large and don't look the best but the connection is solid.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #3,207 of 8,051
They're back in stock for anybody interested.

Important to note they have been revised.

2.5mm plugs instead of MMCX, Sharp edges on grilles are gone, longer cable, 6.3mm adapter included, wood appears to have been treated (Potentially modified)

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #3,209 of 8,051
A couple things.

I RMA'd my headphone and sent it in today. Let's hope they dont care that I've replaced, and re-applied the stock pads and also have opened up the headphones a few times. I didnt mess anything up.

Secondly, am I the only one who pronounces PLANAR as PLANE-nERR and not PLANE-nARRR (like a pirate)? I am an engineer, and we always learned to say Planar as Plane-er in all my studies and professional career.

That's all. :)

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #3,210 of 8,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back