Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,181 of 8,051

Now this can fall under "entitlement" I don't think is monoprice responsibility the decisions you made to make the product work instead of returning them knowing that they had issues.

I don't really think it is entitlement, rather an option that saves both parties additional cost and hassle.
I can request Monoprice to fix the faulty MMCX plug. Monoprice, obligated by the 5 years warranty that encouraged us to buy it the first place with all the risk, need to either fix it at additional cost ( repair cost + shipping and handling for getting it back and sending it again to the customer), or chose to save all that cost and pass it to the customer as a discount for a new pair. It is called the win-win proposal.
I think Monoprice can do the math and see if it works for them. If not, then we are entitled to get it fixed under the  warranty.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,182 of 8,051
In my opinion, Monoprice has done very well thus far. They agreed to keep the five year warranty after brief confusion that it had been changed, they listened to product feedback and very quickly implemented changes in the second reduction run, and have made a relatively inexpensive headphone with terrific sound quality that competes with major players in the market.

(emphasis added)

I don't think this gets stressed enough, nor does Monoprice get enough credit for this. For them to turn around and fix issues this quickly, and more importantly, be willing to change things that weren't necessarily defects (e.g., increasing cord length, adding a 1/4" adapter) based upon customer input, is incredibly commendable.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #3,183 of 8,051
It comes from changes in humidity, not abuse. The new revisions just came out so we'll find out in a few weeks time.

I'm thinking that the drivers were an exact fit within the cups. If they routed out the cups another 1/32nd or 1/16th inch then it would leave room for the wood to contract in drier humidity areas. That should've been an easy fix, as were the other ones. I'm thinking they've got it nailed now. And thanks to 'some good guy' on here, I found a string of tunes that might not all be to your tastes, but will show off what a set of cans has to offer. Especially the hallowed 1060's ... cskippy modded of course :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgYjmpRigSI&list=RDWK5Z2FkEuGg&index=27 

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,184 of 8,051
I don't really think it is entitlement, rather an option that saves both parties additional cost and hassle.
I can request Monoprice to fix the faulty MMCX plug. Monoprice, obligated by the 5 years warranty that encouraged us to buy it the first place with all the risk, need to either fix it at additional cost ( repair cost + shipping and handling for getting it back and sending it again to the customer), or chose to save all that cost and pass it to the customer as a discount for a new pair. It is called the win-win proposal.
I think Monoprice can do the math and see if it works for them. If not, then we are entitled to get it fixed under the  warranty.

Have you contacted monoprice? They may come through for you. Also,
I sure there is an engineering student somewhere near you that can solder 2.5mm connectors on to your cable for an affordable price.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,186 of 8,051
I sure there is an engineering student somewhere near you that can solder 2.5mm connectors on to your cable for an affordable price.

I dropped a message to Monoprice asking about those options and did not get an answer yet. I have fixed all the issues I faced with my M1060 myself after it was confirmed that it will not violate the warranty, I am wary, however, about doing more involved fixes like changing the plug to 2.5mm. It will violate the warranty and if the PM driver, for example, fails then it will be the end of it.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,187 of 8,051

i am on the same boat here, they dont offer shipping to Malta (strange that is ) but i can use a send-on post option wich will end up costing 100 euro more after tax. 
with that price i would go for the LCD2 on amazon for 470

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,189 of 8,051
To be honest, none of this improvements will make the headphones sound better. Is all cosmetic and durability improvements.
I guess I was the only lucky one that the cup didn't crack? I did swap the MMCX cable for a better one. Other than that I am a happy camper.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #3,191 of 8,051
What I want to know is.

1. Does the second batch sound any different than the first? Did they add anything internally to make it sound better (or worse?)

2. What will they do about the people with the first batch? Can we trade them in for the second? Or at at least get a 50% discount?

3. I don't have a 3, two just seemed lacking.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #3,192 of 8,051
why should they with a good product like this

Agreed. My question is whether other manufacturers will decrease prices to steer buyers to their brand instead, or whether Monoprice will develop successor models with even better sound quality while still undercutting the big players.

Would I buy an LCD-2 for $500? Absolutely. Will I buy one for $1,000? No. Monoprice has seen a niche for an "audiophile" product at a realistic price. It's up to Audeze and company to determine how to respond.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,193 of 8,051
  To be honest, none of this improvements will make the headphones sound better. Is all cosmetic and durability improvements.
I guess I was the only lucky one that the cup didn't crack? I did swap the MMCX cable for a better one. Other than that I am a happy camper.

Honestly, I don't think the MMCX female connector will last for long. I think within a year it will be cutting off so bad that my M1060 will not be usable. Even the best cables i used started ok then cutting off started creeping to them unless I orient the plug at a certain angle and keep it there. It was a very bad design choice by Monoprice.
It is purely durability issue.
BTW, looking at the pictures, I hope the new 2.5mm design does not end up with its own problems. for example, if you accidentally yanked the cable, the plug may break or stress the wood ring. Audeze's LCDs used an angled metal female connector apparently to address this.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,194 of 8,051

Honestly, I don't think the MMCX female connector will last for long. I think within a year it will be cutting off so bad that my M1060 will not be usable. Even the best cables i used started ok then cutting off started creeping to them unless I orient the plug at a certain angle and keep it there. It was a very bad design choice by Monoprice.
It is purely durability issue.
BTW, looking at the pictures, I hope the new 2.5mm design does not end up with its own problems. for example, if you accidentally yanked the cable, the plug may break or stress the wood ring. Audeze's LCDs used an angled metal female connector apparently to address this.

You might be right. For now, Ill let the Monolith fever pass and deal with it than... :wink:

Good catch on the connectors!

Apr 26, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,195 of 8,051
Well, mine shipped late yesterday... sadly the arrival estimate is next Tuesday.

Also, there were FAR more than 500 in this batch. Yesterday evening, after reading several mentions of low inventory throughout the day, I went to the Monoprice site and put 500 in my cart to get an inventory count, and it said 494 available. So they obviously replenished inventory at least once yesterday.

As of right now there are 324 in inventory... so the surge has passed. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back