Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 25, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #3,166 of 8,051

Has anyone tried to ask them if they can do something to make the shipping to the EU a bit more.. smooth.. when it comes to import taxes?
redface.gif

If putting a lower value is what you mean, I wouldn't count on it. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,167 of 8,051
I am contemplating about buying right now. With shipping it's $364 tot he Netherlands. But knowing my country the tax will be around an extra 100 EURO...
Me too. Korea has a 25% tax on electronics. I might just wait and hope they are in stock again shortly before my next trip to the US. With shipping and taxes they end up the same price as used HE-560

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #3,168 of 8,051
  Has anyone tried to ask them if they can do something to make the shipping to the EU a bit more.. smooth.. when it comes to import taxes?
redface.gif

Taxes depend on each country (or in this case the EU)'s economic policies, you need to talk to your politicians for that. :wink: It would be a sad day indeed if a private company could decide what a country's tax levels should be. I suspect we might have lower import taxes, for example, if toxic treaties like the TTIP had been adopted, but then we might also have some US-EU "harmonization" in terms of the slashing of traditional hard-won European workers' rights like guaranteed paid vacations in excess of 20 workdays/year or paid maternity leave of up to 1-2 years. I'll take the higher import taxes over any broad antisocial US-style economic policies, thank you very much. :)

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #3,169 of 8,051
  Exactly.  @DavidA those items only work for Hifiman headphones.  There are no attachment points on the M1060, it's a flush surface so adhesive is required.  Not a problem with the Audeze pads.  

I know there are no mounting points, its why I also listed the mounting ring which is installed on the ear cups so you can use the Hifiman ear pads with its attachment system of 4 tabs.  Its not the simplest DIY project but It looks like there is enough space to mount the rings using either epoxy or other type of glue, or even small screws​.

​I've used the mounting ring on my old Stax SRD-34 and now use the Hifiman Focus pads since the stock Stax pads were 1) expensive, and 2) not very comfortable on-ear.  In this case the Focus pads increase the distance from the driver to my ears so it lowers the treble a bit and increases the sound stage, and also changes them from on-ear to over-ear so the comfort is much better.

Do you have the inner and outer diameters of the wood frame of the M1060?  Need a minimum inside diameter of 80mm and outside of 100mm

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #3,170 of 8,051
I think Hifiman anything is simply going to be too small to be honest.

I'm not peeling the pads off my M1060 frame again just to measure the thickness of the wood but it's basically Audeze size which is larger diameter than a 400i. The wooden ring is also quite thin.

You can see someone else's comparison shots on this page http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/720

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,171 of 8,051

I like the idea of the 2.5 mm plugs better, considerably better. I don't particularly like the way the jacks are mounted. It looks pretty cheap. Better if they were countersunk/inset. It looks like a rush job to get the design changed.
It is not a huge deal. I am more concerned with the sound... still it is a bit tacky looking... even if functionally a better connection.

As has been stated after opening up the headphones, there really isn't much room to have it installed in that manner. I Think they done the best they can with the design.

I'm personally ecstatic, it more then I expected would happen.

I get it.. and counter sinking would tend to weaken the wood in an area that is a weak point in any case. Still it looks cheap, and like a not well conceived design.... But in the scheme of things, these are pretty cheap headphones, for what they are.
As mentioned, as long as they sound good I am not going to agonize over it, but that doesn't change my opinion on the subject. I wonder why they would not have gone with the design with the external housing for the jack, like the Audeze design? Of course designing that and having parts fabricated would have taken much longer than just swapping the connector type.

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #3,172 of 8,051
Taxes depend on each country (or in this case the EU)'s economic policies, you need to talk to your politicians for that. :wink: It would be a sad day indeed if a private company could decide what a country's tax levels should be. I suspect we might have lower import taxes, for example, if toxic treaties like the TTIP had been adopted, but then we might also have some US-EU "harmonization" in terms of the slashing of traditional hard-won European workers' rights like guaranteed paid vacations in excess of 20 workdays/year or paid maternity leave of up to 1-2 years. I'll take the higher import taxes over any broad antisocial US-style economic policies, thank you very much. :)

I am jealous, I wish the government here would quadruple our taxes on goods and services to match the EU rates. I would gladly pay thousands and thousands of dollars a year in extra taxes to get that extra couple days you get off per year.

Anyone who has received the revised m1060's would you mind posting some multi angled shots of them. The pictures I have seen are not the best.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #3,174 of 8,051
It looks like the new cable is still right angle. Bummer. For desktop/home use that's pointless. Who has their amp perpendicular to their seating position?

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #3,175 of 8,051
looking back, this MMCX issue has really screwed me cost wise and I am sure it did to first batch customers. I bought several cables (balanced and unbalanced) with total cost including shipping of $150+ in search of a cable that fits well. All of the ones I bought are cutting off to some degree because of this unreliable MMCX design choice by Monoprice.
because I live outside the US, even the process of returning the M1060 for a replacement (which I inquired Monoprice and still waiting for an answer), would add even additional cost to both sides and does not address the loss of investment in cables !
I think Monoprice should seriously consider providing the customers who bought the first batch and took the risk with all those initial QC issues with the option of a discount to buy a second pair at reduced price of (e.g. $150-$200) to get the more reliable design. They can save on returns cost and hassle (and refurbishing ?) for both Monoprice and their customers while showing appreciations to those who did not just return them when they started falling apart. I think also the positive publicity Monoprice got from people who chose to hold on to their M1060 despite those flaws should also be factored into this.
Any thoughts ?

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #3,176 of 8,051
I think Monoprice should seriously consider providing the customers who bought the first batch and took the risk with all those initial QC issues with the option of a discount to buy a second pair at reduced price of (e.g. $150-$200) to get the more reliable design. They can save on returns cost and hassle (and refurbishing ?) for both Monoprice and their customers while showing appreciations to those who did not just return them when they started falling apart. I think also the positive publicity Monoprice got from people who chose to hold on to their M1060 despite those flaws should also be factored into this.
Any thoughts ?

Now this can fall under "entitlement" I don't think is monoprice responsibility the decisions you made to make the product work instead of returning them knowing that they had issues.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,177 of 8,051

Now this can fall under "entitlement" I don't think is monoprice responsibility the decisions you made to make the product work instead of returning them knowing that they had issues.

Bingo!

I was one of those that purchased in the first wave. Knowing that some of the QC issues might be addressed (and features changed, e.g., the connectors) in a second manufacturing run, I returned the headphones within the return period.

Had I decided to keep them, any modifications or accsessory purchases would have been 100% on me. Not Monoprice's fault. Not their obligation to compensate. Period.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,178 of 8,051
Respectfully, Monoprice is not responsible for where buyers live, nor if they elect to purchase internationally. They are willing to exchange a defective product for a new replacement, fulfilling their warranty. Expecting anything over and above that is entitlement. Monoprice primarily does business in the United States, and finding fault with them for that fact is useless. I'm not going to complain about a company in Australia that only does business in that country.

I purchased one of the initial production run headphones and have had no issues with the MMCX connectors. I did have a single crack develop on the right rear earcup, however it does not appear to be affecting the headphones structurally, and I'm happy enough with the sound to accept it as a minor flaw. Nothing is perfect.

However, the five year warranty is extremely generous, so I can pursue an exchange in the future if necessary.

In my opinion, Monoprice has done very well thus far. They agreed to keep the five year warranty after brief confusion that it had been changed, they listened to product feedback and very quickly implemented changes in the second production run, and have made a relatively inexpensive headphone with terrific sound quality that competes with major players in the market.

EDIT: Fixed phone autocorrect of "reduction" to "production".

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,179 of 8,051
From what I can tell, this new connector design on the M1060 is the same as the HD700. Is that correct? Unlike HiFiMan 2.5mm the HD700 seems to use the TS instead of the TRS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back