Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 7, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,701 of 8,051
So this may have been asked, but has anybody tried the M1060 drivers in a Audeze body.  I am just curious because there are some Audeze starting to come out of warranty and you may be able to find a blown pair cheaper soon.  May solve all the QC issues and replace drivers on a bad pair at the same time.  I know Audeze is good about refurbing an old pair, but just a thought for someone loves the m1060 sound.

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,702 of 8,051
  So this may have been asked, but has anybody tried the M1060 drivers in a Audeze body.  I am just curious because there are some Audeze starting to come out of warrant and you may be able to find a blown pair cheaper soon.  May solve all the QC issues and replace drivers on a bad pair at the same time.  I know Audeze is good about refurbing an old pair, but just a thought is someone loves the m1060 sound.

I see no reason it wouldn't fit, given the size and layout, not about to spend a few hundred on a half dead LCD to find out though.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,703 of 8,051
I've been behind on this thread but given the amount of time these have been out, what are the general views people are having with these compared to the HE400i, Ether Flow and LCD series now?

As someone who owns the 400i and wants either a LCD or Ether Flow as an endgame planar, this price point is appealing if it beats the he400i and comes at least very close to the latter.

Thanks in advance of any info is provided.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #2,705 of 8,051
I've been behind on this thread but given the amount of time these have been out, what are the general views people are having with these compared to the HE400i, Ether Flow and LCD series now?

As someone who owns the 400i and wants either a LCD or Ether Flow as an endgame planar, this price point is appealing if it beats the he400i and comes at least very close to the latter.

this thread
page 178
post 2663

will point you exactly to posts with detailed info addressing M1060 - HE400"i" - HE-560.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,706 of 8,051

It's a fantastic, versatile headphone with audeze pads and paper mod. It's a fun can. Big sound, healthy bass amount, full and smooth sounding. Very analog sounding. Others have it beat in neutrality and stuff like my T1 extends more and does treble sparkle, detail soundstage, and resolution better, but for a fun and enjoyable warm tilted listen, you need to try the 1060. It's a thick and rich, warm smooth sound.

It's a total steal for the asking price, do not see how anyone looking for fun sound can be disappointed with the way these sound once modded.

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #2,707 of 8,051
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIDUE-A83-2-5-3-5mm-MMCX-Silver-Plated-Balanced-Audiophile-Earphone-Cable-/381657775172?hash=item58dc937c44:g:xf_eek:LAAAOSwGotWqJtC

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Balanced-Female-Hi-end-Furutech/dp/B0108IEWNE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491610561&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+to+4-pin+xlr+balanced

Will connect to any 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4-Pin balanced XLR source. Works perfectly in my setup.

Hmm, I do now remember you posting that before, thanks. I'll wait a bit longer to see if the cable that matches my needs perfectly pops up, and if not I'll try the adapter route.

Call to cable builders: MMCX to 4-pin XLR, please! Preferably with Eidolic connectors, and in the 8ft range.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #2,708 of 8,051
I am so pissed. After a few pluging / unplugging I started to have the left connector issue ... I tried the squeezer trick but no luck at all ... Very strange behaviour now ... on my phone sounds looks almost if the left cup was saturating (??) and on my desk nfb-11 it is like it felt a very different resistance and the sound is clean but way lower (like 10db) less than on the right one ...
****. I dom't want to send them back with the costs of shipping + import fees so I am afraid I will need to wait for someone to design nice out of cup connector 3d printed so I can get rid of these s@+?= connectors.

Unscrew the 3.5mm end and make sure the transparent insulator sleeves are in the right position. My conductor wires had kinks in and were shorting against the shell

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #2,709 of 8,051
Hmm, I do now remember you posting that before, thanks. I'll wait a bit longer to see if the cable that matches my needs perfectly pops up, and if not I'll try the adapter route.

Call to cable builders: MMCX to 4-pin XLR, please! Preferably with Eidolic connectors, and in the 8ft range.

Will gladly sell you mine. See signature.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #2,710 of 8,051
If you are interested in a similar sized dac/amp combo as the Origen+ with all the same inputs/outputs (specifically it has optical for console use), check out the Xduoo xd-05. I haven't used the Origen+, but I really like the xd-05 and I think it gets more favorable reviews over the Origen+ and potentially even something like the Fulla 2. It can power the HD650's pretty well and even Zeos noted they can take the T50rp's up to max volume. It has a built-in battery for travel, but I use it solely for desktop. Oh and it allows for op-amp rolling in case you are interested in that. Goes for about $160 new on ebay. 

I am running the 1060's on the Xduo05 and I like the sound.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #2,712 of 8,051
well after having read and followed 181 posts on this thread, and pretty much being convinced that I would be one of the happy owners of the 1060 after they came back on stock, I disappointedly have to say that I won't be getting one :frowning2: I could live with the QC issues as I don't really mind getting my hands dirty so to speak, but what with all the import taxes and shipping to Italy, which would probably set me back around at least 150€ plus possible pad roll and cables, it was really becoming a bit too much for me, especially if I consider the shipping fees for an RMA. Coincidently I just bumped into a he400i for 350€ and pulled the trigger on that! Now I just wish I'll have enough $$ for food before the next pay check. Damn this hobby!! All the best for the current and future 1060 owners :D

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,713 of 8,051
Get another cable, maybe from Amazon, so it can be returned easy.  I haven't had any issues but I tried my Shure SE215 cable and it was definitely a better fit and sounded fine too.  

I tried two different cables with exact same results so I am quite sure the issue is with the connector on the phones cup side ...

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,714 of 8,051
  Really?

I'd love to purchase an MMCX to 4-pin XLR cable, but can't find one. Preferably longer as well, of course..my M1060 are NOT used as portables.

Moon Audio offers this, and while the price is nearly as much as the M1060, the Dragon cables are well reviewed, and you are likely to find a noticeable improvement in sound over the stock cable given the UP-OCC copper conductors in the Blue Dragon - https://www.moon-audio.com/blue-dragon-v3-shure-headphone-cable.html. Select length and 4 pin XLR termination. Consider the Silver Dragon cable for Shure headphones V3, with UP-OCC stranded silver conductors, for a bit more detail and slightly leaner sound. The moldings around the connectors on either of these are made to fit into the recessed inlets on the Shure SRH series, which isn't significant for use with the M1060, but you should email them to check that the fit of the MMCX connectors themselves aren't any different.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,715 of 8,051
Unscrew the 3.5mm end and make sure the transparent insulator sleeves are in the right position. My conductor wires had kinks in and were shorting against the shell

Tried already a different cable with exact same behavior so I am positive that the issue is with the cup side of things :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back