Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,731 of 8,051
one of the guys here posted Shure cable from Amazon and I ordered one;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083WGBCI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to my surprise, they sent me two of them. not complaining :)
The cable is straight down from the MMCX plug unlike the other ones I ordered which I think were made for IEMs (designed with a bend for around the ear). plugs are color coded and no cutting when I move around so far. seems a good fit.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,733 of 8,051
I recently received a custom ordered 4-pin XLR balanced cable -> mmcx for my M1060s via the mail from Impact Audio (who I first found out about by reading these forums). Definitely a great upgrade over the stock one as I'm a big fan of balanced outputs. Plus the cable itself is excellent. You can get them made by a few different places too which is nice for anyone who hasn't got a custom cable yet or who already has a preferred cable maker.

Also to contribute to the discussions about pad rolling, I slapped on some Audeze lambskins because I just have a thing for real leather earpads. I don't think it changed the sound noticeably to me so that would strictly be a luxury upgrade for anyone curious. Nice, but not required. Would say comfort was generally unchanged too but the M1060s do seem a bit firmer against the side of my head and less inclined to move if I tilt significantly forwards or back. Sometimes having a large head really pays off when you're seeking a firmer but still comfortable clamp.

Swapping to a balanced cable is however very noticeable and pretty great. Output via a Jotunheim if anyone was curious.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #2,734 of 8,051
FYI,you got the wrong Audeze pads.  You need the LEATHER FREE "Vegan" pads.  Those are the ones we are talking about.  They do make a big difference due to the material change from reflective leather to absorbent microsuede.  

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #2,737 of 8,051
Anyone tried the m1060s with the zte axon 7?
Curious on how well the drive them.

I don't know how equivalent this is but I did plug the M1060s into a rather old long discontinued Sony media player of mine (NWZ-S755) and it sounded pretty good. You'll get more legs from a dedicated amp or perhaps a more modern player but if my old player could sound good then I'm sure your modern smartphone will have a DAC sufficient.

That being said the M1060s aren't what I would consider mobile at all and the sound leakage is significant. Just sitting at a desk in a private room you'll probably be ok.

Edit - I looked up additional details for that smartphone you mentioned and with the audio features I'd be shocked if it wasn't a pretty decent player.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,740 of 8,051
For those of you looking for replacement/balanced MMCX cables, Venture Electronics (makers of Monk Plus) just added a ton of really affordable options (be patient, server is slow!):

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8

Just ordered a junkosha cable > XLR cable, will report how it goes in a few weeks (as they ship from China).  Their earbuds are great quality, so I'm optimistic for their cables.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,741 of 8,051
My vote goes for Impact Audio Cables. https://www.etsy.com/shop/ImpactAudioCables?ref=l2-shopheader-name Awesome customer service and they are affordable.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,742 of 8,051
I have a cable question, guys. If I have Venture build a cable with a 3.5mm TRRS plug (balanced), I can use this on a non-balanced source, right? I realize I wouldn't get the benefits of balanced this way, I'm just wondering if it would function. If I can that would be the most versatile option because I could use a 4-pin XLR adaptor if I end up getting a Jotunheim and use the 3.5mm end with all of my unbalanced amps.

Thanks in advanced! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #2,743 of 8,051
I have a cable question, guys. If I have Venture build a cable with a 3.5mm TRRS plug (balanced), I can use this on a non-balanced source, right? I realize I wouldn't get the benefits of balanced this way, I'm just wondering if it would function. If I can that would be the most versatile option because I could use a 4-pin XLR adaptor if I end up getting a Jotunheim and use the 3.5mm end with all of my unbalanced amps.

Thanks in advanced! :)  

I don't think you'll be able to use a balanced termination with a single ended source without an adapter. Luckily VE sells adapters as well :wink:

I'd also strongly suggest paying the little extra for e-packet if it's available for you country, it's very fast in my experience.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #2,744 of 8,051

Thanks in advanced! 
smily_headphones1.gif

It will not work since the second ring or sleeve will not be connected depending on where the connector is within the 3.5mm TRS jack that you plug into.  You would need to get the cable terminated with the 4 pin XLR and get a 4 pin XLR to 3.5mm TRS to use it with SE amps

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,745 of 8,051
I don't think you'll be able to use a balanced termination with a single ended source without an adapter. Luckily VE sells adapters as well
wink.gif

I'd also strongly suggest paying the little extra for e-packet if it's available for you country, it's very fast in my experience.

It will not work since the second ring or sleeve will not be connected depending on where the connector is within the 3.5mm TRS jack that you plug into.  You would need to get the cable terminated with the 4 pin XLR and get a 4 pin XLR to 3.5mm TRS to use it with SE amps

Alright, thanks for the info, guys. I will just get a 3.5mm SE cable and buy a balanced cable if/when I ever get a balanced amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back