Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 19, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #2,251 of 8,051
  Are you saying you replaced the fabric under the grill on the earside with the foam from under the grill on the backside?

Correct. This would not work physically with the stock, pad, but it will easily fit on the between the hair guard & plastic ring of the Vegan.

After further listening and measurement the foam+Vegan stays and the only back side damping I am running is simple felt square protecting the driver.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2,252 of 8,051
  Correct. This would not work physically with the stock, pad, but it will easily fit on the between the hair guard & plastic ring of the Vegan.

After further listening and measurement the foam+Vegan stays and the only back side damping I am running is simple felt square protecting the driver.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you fit it on. On the stock earside there's foam, a metal cover, and then the earpad, correct? So where exactly is the foam from the rear going? Underneath the metal cover? over the metal cover but under the vegan pad?

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,258 of 8,051
So now this becomes a M1060 mod thread 
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,260 of 8,051
I humbly must say that I disagree with you. I am the owner of the HE500 ,the LC2f and the m1060,all unmodded,and in my subjective opinion the m1060 is equal to or better to them both soundwise. I drive my phones with a Gustard H10 and the original V-Dac. Suffering from a acute case of upgradeitis I purchased the Modi multibit hoping to improve the sound to a greater degree. Lo and behold when I hooked up the Modi the the highs on 1060 became peaky and practically unlistenable. The Modi went back into the box and back I went to my old but trustworthy Vdac. The highs are now once again sweet and airy. Anyone in the market for for the Modi multibit?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,261 of 8,051
  I humbly must say that I disagree with you. I am the owner of the HE500 ,the LC2f and the m1060,all unmodded,and in my subjective opinion the m1060 is equal to or better to them both soundwise. I drive my phones with a Gustard H10 and the original V-Dac. Suffering from a acute case of upgradeitis I purchased the Modi multibit hoping to improve the sound to a greater degree. Lo and behold when I hooked up the Modi the the highs on 1060 became peaky and practically unlistenable. The Modi went back into the box and back I went to my old but trustworthy Vdac. The highs are now once again sweet and airy. Anyone in the market for for the Modi multibit?

You should let it breakin for some time and it should smooth out.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,262 of 8,051

I'm with you. I love them just the way they are...apart form the crack of course.
Such a shame Monoprice really missed a golden opportunity here. Unless they're careful with the next batch I imagine the reputation on these headphones will be irrevocably tarnished. Most people, I imagine, will simply want a good value, excellent sounding pair of headphones out of the box and wont be interested in modding.
It suits some people of course, but I would imagine only a small portion of the headphone buying public.
HiFiMan and Audeze must be breathing a big sigh of relief right about now, whereas if Monoprice had done it properly, they would be running scared.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,263 of 8,051

You should let it breakin for some time and it should smooth out.

Yes, you should give the Modi Mutibit atleast 4 hours to warm up before giving up on it completely. Mine smoothed out quite a bit over the first few days of being left on. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,264 of 8,051
Hey guys I know this is a somewhat dumb question but the deal on Craigslist is so incredible that I have to ask it. Would the little dot mark 2 power of the m1060 well? I have heard that tube amps are not ideal with planars. I have been in a speaker audiophile for years if I'm just learning about the headphone world so any advice is appreciated. I'm getting the little that with a pair of hd6xx so I will be holding on to the amp anyway to power all my other cans, just hoping it would do a good job powering the m1060. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated living audiophile life on a budget is definitely a tricky business but in some ways I find it makes things a little more fun. Sure I would love to be able to walk in the store and drop a few stacks and walk out with a pair of LCD-Xs and a McIntosh headphone amp. Bit to me the hunt is a big part of the fun. Oh and the great sound quality of course!

But yea back on point Lottle Dot mkii + m1060 =?

Thanks headfiers

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,265 of 8,051
Hey guys I know this is a somewhat dumb question but the deal on Craigslist is so incredible that I have to ask it. Would the little dot mark 2 power of the m1060 well? I have heard that tube amps are not ideal with planars. I have been in a speaker audiophile for years if I'm just learning about the headphone world so any advice is appreciated. I'm getting the little that with a pair of hd6xx so I will be holding on to the amp anyway to power all my other cans, just hoping it would do a good job powering the m1060. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated living audiophile life on a budget is definitely a tricky business but in some ways I find it makes things a little more fun. Sure I would love to be able to walk in the store and drop a few stacks and walk out with a pair of LCD-Xs and a McIntosh headphone amp. Bit to me the hunt is a big part of the fun. Oh and the great sound quality of course!

But yea back on point Lottle Dot mkii + m1060 =?

Thanks headfiers

I think you would be better suited with something like a Vali 2 in the same price range, over double the power into 50ohm, easier tube rolling as well to taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back