Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,996 of 8,051
Fifth day, wooden ring cracked 
frown.gif
 Not sure if it was a coincidence but my dorm room humidifier was off for the night, and it cracked the next morning. 

Probably won't return - I like the sound of these a lot - should I return right before the second batch comes in? 

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,997 of 8,051
  Fifth day, wooden ring cracked 
frown.gif
 Not sure if it was a coincidence but my dorm room humidifier was off for the night, and it cracked the next morning. 

Probably won't return - I like the sound of these a lot - should I return right before the second batch comes in? 

I would contact Monoprice and see if they can arrange a replacement when the second batch comes in. Ask if you can hold on to your m1060 until a replacement is available,that way you will be guaranteed a replacement as soon as possible and you get to listen to the headphones until then. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,998 of 8,051
What about product development and R&D? It seems the 1060 was able to borrow from the LCD line. I wonder how much time Audeze spent getting the design ready.

Bingo! I worked for a large electronics company that was put out of business because of foreign dumping. They couldn't compete against Sony because of the import duties levied on their product in Japan, yet our government allowed Sony to export to the USA with virtually no restrictions. American companies & the American work force went South. For example, when I attended a corporate stock holder meeting, I saw a compact disc project a holographic image 5 years before the public ever saw it in Star Wars & long before the c.d. ever debut to the public. Our technology went out the window. It is very hard for the USA to compete. Engineers demand higher wages than McManagers! R&D is costly.
 R&D? You would be hard pressed to find anything coming from the Asian countries that is an actual innovation from those countries. Saying Audeze is ripping off the public is a little harsh. I do agree this should be a wake up call to Audeze though. Audeze produced the LCD2 aluminum around Christmas for $500.00. I'd be willing to bet they still made a decent profit!  

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,999 of 8,051
I'll only say this once, and it's just my position but people used to do the same thing for HD650 replacement pads.  Stock genuine replacement pads are ~$53 on Amazon.  People don't want to pay that much and buy the Brainwavz pads of their choosing.  I've tried three of the Brainwavz pads and they are nice pads but they ALL screw up the frequency response.  

Think of a pad as the room in which your speakers are located.  People who are used to speakers know that the room is the most important thing to get right.  $300 speakers in a properly set up and treated room will wipe the floor off of $3,000 speakers in an untreated/poorly set up room.  

The Audeze pads at $65 is nothing to scoff at.  I actually paid $80 from Audeze.  I don't mind.  I think of it as part of the headphone purchase.  ~$400 for a headphone that competes with $1000 seems a lot more reasonable now huh?

But by all means, if you want to buy $20 earpads then go ahead.  Just don't expect the same results.  

Pads that I tried below.  Brainwavz pads perform closest to Hifiman Pleather (not good)

Excellent explanation!
Using the room:speaker environment relative to inside pad:headphone driver was very insightful. Great way to highlight the important role the pads play.
:wink:

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,000 of 8,051

HD700 has better in both, but yes the 1060s clarity gave excellent detail and separation, but in a closer-in, narrower presentation. The 700s start farther out and goes farther, though both can be "brought in" as volume increases. The two are very different in sound, not just planar vs dynamic, or 40mm driver vs 106mm. The 700s are harder to drive and both can get very loud without distortion though the 1060s treble may be better at higher volumes over longer periods than the 700s. The 1060s have that planar sound of a slight darkness and lushness to the bass and mids.

Thank you very much for the comparison!

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,001 of 8,051
  I have already seen some mention of this in the thread.  But, here is more talk about the Tidal Force headphones that seem to share the same DNA.  Or something like that :D

http://www.avsforum.com/tidal-force-debut-premium-hdmi-cables-wave-5-planar-magnetic-headphones/

I still have my M560.  As soon as the M1060 was on sale, I had it in my cart.  Just could not do it.  Now I wish I had, darn it.  Sounds like the M1060 may have been worth it.  But my experience with the M560 is why I was hesitant.  It was just too darn bright for my ears.  Even with a tube amp, and even after hours and hours of break-in.  

I highly doubt these are clones. They are most likely the same headphone as the M1060. There are several large factories in China that make tons of electronics. They sell to large volume retailers. If you do in depth research, you will find that there can be up to 20 different television models produced on the same assembly line. They change the appearance and slap a different name on each model for the market. You will probably see a proliferation of such "clones" if this headphone/price point is profitable. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,002 of 8,051

I have already seen some mention of this in the thread.  But, here is more talk about the Tidal Force headphones that seem to share the same DNA.  Or something like that :D

http://www.avsforum.com/tidal-force-debut-premium-hdmi-cables-wave-5-planar-magnetic-headphones/

I still have my M560.  As soon as the M1060 was on sale, I had it in my cart.  Just could not do it.  Now I wish I had, darn it.  Sounds like the M1060 may have been worth it.  But my experience with the M560 is why I was hesitant.  It was just too darn bright for my ears.  Even with a tube amp, and even after hours and hours of break-in.  

I highly doubt these are clones. They are most likely the same headphone as the M1060. There are several large factories in China that make tons of electronics. They sell to large volume retailers. If you do in depth research, you will find that there can be up to 20 different television models produced on the same assembly line. They change the appearance and slap a different name on each model for the market. You will probably see a proliferation of such "clones" if this headphone/price point is profitable. 

You explanation is pretty much the definition of a clone. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,003 of 8,051

You explanation is pretty much the definition of a clone. 

Pretty much, yes, except they probably start out at the beginning of the line as the same base unit and modified at the end as a "different" unit. Semantics aside, I'm saying if you missed the great M1060 debut, you may have more choices down the road at the same price and without cracking wood, etc.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,005 of 8,051
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was a tooth infection that spread, causing seizures, that led to him in a coma with no brain activity. He was 40, and sole parent to a 9 year old son.

Services are Monday and Tuesday, and I'd imagine I'll be back listening by Wednesday. It'll be forcing myself to move on, but getting back to music/gaming is important as it's my favorite hobby. One I'm glad I have as a way to move on.

Really looking forward to diving into mods with these. I really like them stock, and I know the vegan pads will be a huge improvement for long term listening. Taking time to read here, helps. Thanks again!

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,006 of 8,051
...It was a tooth infection that spread, causing seizures, that led to him in a coma with no brain activity...

Sorry to hear about your friend. This is why I had my wisdom teeth extracted at the late age of 45. Even a low-grade infection that doesn't bother you can damage your heart over time. More serious infections can lead to sepsis and death.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,007 of 8,051
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was a tooth infection that spread, causing seizures, that led to him in a coma with no brain activity. He was 40, and sole parent to a 9 year old son.

Services are Monday and Tuesday, and I'd imagine I'll be back listening by Wednesday. It'll be forcing myself to move on, but getting back to music/gaming is important as it's my favorite hobby. One I'm glad I have as a way to move on.

Really looking forward to diving into mods with these. I really like them stock, and I know the vegan pads will be a huge improvement for long term listening. Taking time to read here, helps. Thanks again!

Very sorry for your loss.

I got chills down my spine reading the cause of death, due to a fairly recent similar event in my life.

Last year my aunt was sent to the hospital; the doctors tried test after test, with no results. Her systems started shutting down one by one, including her kidneys, and she went into a coma. 

Thankfully, they were eventually able to determine the cause and treat it accordingly. The cause? An abcessed tooth. My uncle (her husband) mentioned it in an off-hand way and that got them looking into it, leading to them discovering the tooth infection was poisoning her whole body.

So sorry that your friend didn't make it; I hope he wasn't in too much pain when he went. I also hope I'm not making things harder for you, I just wanted to let you know I can relate to what you're going through.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,008 of 8,051
Got the 1060's yesterday and was listening to them on and off all day. My first impressions are pretty good. These cans reveal lots of detail and have a neutral sound signiture that borders on being almost bright. The low end is very good and sounds tight and right with no boominess. The body is very good as well (unsurprising since it's a planar). So far I think these cans offer a terrific a value for the price but I do feel their build is a bit flimsy.

PS: No cracks as of today (crosses fingers)

There are two caveats I have though. One of them is the ever so "slightly bright" sound signiture and the other is "sound stage openness". 

These cans have a more upfront presentation and don't feel as airy or open as I'm use to.  (They present depth excellently though!)

A possible solution is to get the Vegan pads but I'm not sure I want to void the warranty as of right now. 
tongue_smile.gif

PS: Source used was a Chord Mojo (PC > Intona > Regen> Mojo)

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,010 of 8,051
  One small trick I use to open up the soundstage a little bit more is to flip them around and swap the connectors (with the fat part of the pads facing forward).  I found that this doesn't help as much on the M1060's but with my Hifimans, it's much more noticeable.  

Wanted to ask about the L/R connectors actually. I don't see any indicators on the headphones themselves, only on the wires.

This is normal correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back