Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #1,606 of 8,051
Anyone have any idea if these are comparable to ESP950s? Currently I'm pretty satisfied with them and haven't had any issues yet, but seeing so much woodcracking just screams return lol. Would stock ESP950s be better than this?

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,607 of 8,051
And I just thought the oil made the surface finish shiny and looked cool 
smily_headphones1.gif

People are overreacting, how many confirmed cases of cracking wood has there been? 

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,608 of 8,051

Any tips on applying the coating? I have a bottle ordered and my M1060 are arriving Tuesday, so I want to apply the coating ASAP. 

If you're just doing it for aesthetics reasons, you may want to lightly sand the outer layer first, then when applying the finish do multiple coats. Let each coat sit on the wood for ~5ish mins then buff off with a soft cloth, then repeat.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,611 of 8,051
  Anyone have any idea if these are comparable to ESP950s? Currently I'm pretty satisfied with them and haven't had any issues yet, but seeing so much woodcracking just screams return lol. Would stock ESP950s be better than this?

I found it simply by typing "koss" on "Search this Thread." Here:

Mine arrived at my office this afternoon 30 minutes before I had to leave for the weekend, so only a minimal amount of observation, plus I don't like making deep assessments prior to burn-in.

Equipment: I'm running these off a Marantz HD-DAC1 and my current headphones are the Koss ESP-950 electrostatics with the E90 energizer/amp. One of the difficulties I immediately ran into is that while I can run both cans out of the Marantz simultaneously, the M1060s are so insanely easy to drive that even with the E90 turned up to max I could not volume match the two... which makes qualitative comparisons difficult.

I listened back and forth between the two headphones for about 20 minutes before putting my music on shuffle at decent volume to let them burn in for the weekend and walking out the door.

Thoughts in no particular order:

These things are comfortable as hell. Love love love the pads and the way the headphones sit on the head. They are considerably heavier than the Koss, but there's virtually no noticeable clamping pressure. I feel I could wear these for days.

The jaggedness of the metal... OY! Very sharp feel to them, do not like. A bit of finishing during the manufacturing process would have done wonders.

Connectors: no problem with mine. Jiggled and twisted mine trying to get them to cut out and couldn't. Time will tell...

What complete moron thought that a cord that short would be a good thing? I'm not going to be able to use these in my office without some sort of workaround... either a replacement cord that's longer or an extender cable of some sort (recommendations as to either greatfully appreciated).

Headband: cheap POS. As great as the wood and metal look and the pads look and feel, the exact opposite is true of the headband and adjusters. Bleagh.

Ok, now on to sound...

Given what I had read from others thus far, out of the box these sound much better than I was expecting, even without burn-in. Bass and mid-bass presence are stronger than the Koss. The soundstage is wider than the Koss. Overall I feel more depth with the M1060 than my electrostatics.

Treble, midrange, and detail, on the other hand is where the Koss kick the M1060's butt. There's a level of crispness and clarity that just isn't there with the M1060 out of the box... to be expected though, as those are areas where electrostatics traditionally excel.

Early assessment made on minimal listening: I think I will wind up keeping both, as I think they each lend themselves to different styles of music. For acoustic, jazz, and classical material I can see staying with the electrostatics, but for rock and metal I'm likely to want the M1060s. Jury is still out on pop, trance, etc.

Again, the above is all really premature, but I wanted to post a first take. Opinions definitely subject to change after burn-in and critical listening.

Regardless, material quality issues notwithstanding, these appear to be a great bang for the buck.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #1,612 of 8,051
And I just thought the oil made the surface finish shiny and looked cool :)  

People are overreacting, how many confirmed cases of cracking wood has there been? 

Something like 5 or so. Which is 1% of the 500 sold already. That's on top of 10+ people with connection issues. And that's all only people here on headfi and all within a week of release.

People are honestly not reacting enough. The right thing for monoprice to do is a recall and address the issues. As I said before, awesome sound for the price but how can you really buy a pair at this point?

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #1,613 of 8,051
Something like 5 or so. Which is 1% of the 500 sold already. That's on top of 10+ people with connection issues. And that's all only people here on headfi and all within a week of release.

People are honestly not reacting enough. The right thing for monoprice to do is a recall and address the issues. As I said before, awesome sound for the price but how can you really buy a pair at this point?

Wow, only 500 have been sold? Where'd you get that number from? 

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #1,614 of 8,051

Wow, only 500 have been sold? Where'd you get that number from? 

It's how many were available when they went up for sale.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,615 of 8,051
With all of these returns I feel like there are going to be a lot of refurbs/open boxes come April....

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #1,616 of 8,051
I now wish Monoprice priced these at $350 instead, with better focus on build quality / QC.

Wishlist:

1. 2.5mm connectors or other more common connectors
2. better designed wood cups, or just use plastic or metal -__-
3. better, more comfortable headband

The M1060's are very comfortable. But after an hour or two of wearing them, the top of my head hurts from the pressure. My headband adjustment is already maxed out. :/

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,619 of 8,051
  Don't put any oil on your headphones until you know you're going to keep them as that WILL void you warranty.  

Oh no I'm just doing it for aesthetic purposes - I'll probably listen to the headphones before applying then. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,620 of 8,051
I've burned mine in for over 48 hours and measured to see if there's any difference earlier today:

Red (R) and blue (L) is fresh out the box. Pink is R and green is L. I believe the low treble difference is due to placement but I'll retest tomorrow at 72 hours.

Subjectively I can't really hear a difference though. I could see if someone is only using the M1060 that the 5k peak becomes less noticeable as people adjust to the sound but when I switched between other headphones it became immediately noticeable again. My main issue is that they seem to have very noticeable ringing that fatigues me within about an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back