Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 5, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,577 of 8,051

Do you know if it actually had an effect on the structure or function of the headphone at all? Or is it simply cosmetic? 

Seems cosmetic so far but who knows if it will provide a lever for the screw to weaken the structure over time.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,580 of 8,051
Unlikely. Audeze and hifiman has just as much Quality issues if not more. Google audeze quality control or hifiman quality control.

I keep forgetting that they actually have the same issues as well. They actually suggested using some sort of wood finish to prevent the issue, didn't they? 

It's kind of funny actually. Monoprice makes what looks like a Audeze and HiFiman combination of headphones and they have the same issues lol. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #1,581 of 8,051
Unlikely. Audeze and hifiman has just as much Quality issues if not more. Google audeze quality control or hifiman quality control.

Audeze hasn't had nearly as many issues with wood cracking ever since they changed the connectors way back although there are some pictures with cracks at the same spot as here with the M1060. 

Either way I am glad, I went with an aluminium LCD-2.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,582 of 8,051
Damn mine cracked after 1 day!

I hope it is only cosmetic otherwise I might have to get a replacement.

If it is only cosmetic I might just deal with it because I love the sound of the M1060 so much. It's almost perfect to my tastes.

Left side only:

http://i.imgur.com/PxsjGj8.jpg

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,584 of 8,051
This seems such a shame. The quality control issues ....
I'm in the UK and ordered a pair pronto, which should be here within the next few days. I really hope I'm not disappointed, but I'm almost expecting issues now, either cable or some other.
The thing is, it's taken them til now to get these available, from first showing them last autumn, yet it does seem as though they've effectively been released either with no testing as such, or simply with not really giving a damn about quality control.
I have a pair of HE400s', and yeah they're not brilliant quality build, but they're solid enough and they feel good to use and there have been no problems with them whatsoever.
But just to show how precarious things are now in the world of headphones - I recently bought a pair of HiFiMan Edition X, and I was more than disappointed with their quality. The sound did not wow me but that's a side-issue. The ear pads creaked when they swivelled, the size adjusters moved of their own accord when I was wearing them, and the little rods going into the ear cups from the metal yokes, worked themselves free of the housing when I was taking them on and off my head! Over a grand!
And they were the version 2!
I hope I'm not disappointed, and I hope Monoprice can take whatever steps (product recall while the numbers are relatively low?) are necessary to sort this out, otherwise I think the immediate future of this product may be dead in the water before they get around to the next production run.
They need to take the time to address these issues, otherwise it will only get worse, what with good numbers of people iniatating returns.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,586 of 8,051
  It's a stress fracture in wood...whatever the screw is going into is pushing the wood apart...

I got these 2 weeks ago, and until I saw this thread, I thought my same issues with cracked wood was an isolated case. I called Monoprice and was told they were backordered, but would send me a new pair when new batch came in by April or so. As great as they sound (compared with my HD600 & AKG K702), I can't deal with treating them like delicate snowflakes so I returned them for a refund.

I'll hold off until those brave souls who'll take one for the team report back that this issue has been solved or at least minimized.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,587 of 8,051
The audeze oil is this. I ordered a bottle and will apply to my m1060

Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, 16-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BKQYGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-.hVyb9FJN0RA

Woodworker here.  If it is a matter of water vapor absorption from different climatic conditions, no oil or finish will stop this.   In scientific tests, the only thing that really slows down water vapor moving in and out of wood is a thick layer of wax, as in 1" of paraffin.  Which is why they use wax on the end of boards to prevent splitting when drying and seasoning them.  Of course, some finish is better than nothing, and a spit coat of shellac is more effective than most other finishes for slowing water vapor absorption.  (Edit:  Don't try applying shellac to your headphones though!   It should be applied after smoothing and staining the wood, and before the final top coats.)

This problem with the M1060 is more likely due to making a relatively large hole in thin wood, then having it undergo some stress as it pivots.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,588 of 8,051
The audeze oil is this. I ordered a bottle and will apply to my m1060

Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, 16-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BKQYGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-.hVyb9FJN0RA

Haha I happen to have a bottle laying around and this is a good idea

Here's a before and after (This is one coat, turned out okay, but not i'm tempted to sand to wood with a high grit sand paper and do multiple coats, will report back later) Now i kinda want to lacquer coat the wood. 

Before: 

After:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back