Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 5, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,531 of 8,051
As these are mass produced at a level that's affordable, it's less about the QC, its about the assembly tolerance.  Specifically stress cracks that a few of you are experiencing is very likely the assembly worker tightened it beyond spec, or worse, there is no spec, and were just told to tighten.  And given the wood probably isn't a high density wood, the pre-tension exerted by the assembly makes it very likely to crack.  This will probably be applicable to other areas that are failing, where its a matter of assembly tolerances.  So cheap parts + lack of tolerance= higher risk for failure.    

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #1,532 of 8,051
  I personally think that the quality control issues are being a bit overblown, at least for units that have come defective, that isn't to say that the 1060 will actually hold up for the full 5 years. I personally have had no issues with my pair. I think that those who have had defects are speaking louder than those of us who are just lurking in the thread and havn't had any issues. If I had bad connectors i would be the first one to say so in this thread, but since my pair is fine I haven't said anything.

Second: I haven't seen this posted, but for all of you looking for a decent balanced cable, fiio makes this silver one for like 30 dollars and it's got prime shipping. You will just have to get an xlr adapter unless you plan on using trrs. At the least it is a quick and relatively cheap solution and probably better than the stock cable.
https://www.amazon.com/120cm-Replacement-Cable-Headphones-Silver/dp/B01HP9EU0O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1488694889&sr=8-7&keywords=mmcx+cable

There were 500 units sold. There are definitely not 500 owners reporting in here. Not everybody subscribes to Head-Fi! I guess time will tell regarding defective units. It would seem that in the interest of good customer service they would have held a few units back for replacement though. For what it's worth, my return is sitting in their local Post Office. They were closed on Saturday so the delivery didn't happen. It should be delivered on Monday. I did not have any physical issues with mine. They were returned as new.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,533 of 8,051
  Mine did the same thing as well. I noticed mine about 4 days ago. 

I worked in a furniture store in Las Vegas, NV. Quite a few Chinese made pieces, like dressers, had massive cracks in the wood. Everything we got from Mexico was fine. It was the climate change that affected the wood. Very low humidity was drying out the stuff from China. When I moved from Seattle to Las Vegas, I had a very expensive chest that almost self destructed. It was built with floating joints. The sides literally shrunk by 1/2" in across the width; leaving dovetails protruding by 1/2" in the front. I suspect the wood in these headphones have not been treated properly.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #1,534 of 8,051
In my opinion, the M1060s vocals don't seem so pushed back but I guess it might depend on what headphones you are comparing them to.

and who's vocals as well?

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,535 of 8,051
  I worked in a furniture store in Las Vegas, NV. Quite a few Chinese made pieces, like dressers, had massive cracks in the wood. Everything we got from Mexico was fine. It was the climate change that affected the wood. Very low humidity was drying out the stuff from China. When I moved from Seattle to Las Vegas, I had a very expensive chest that almost self destructed. It was built with floating joints. The sides literally shrunk by 1/2" in across the width; leaving dovetails protruding by 1/2" in the front. I suspect the wood in these headphones have not been treated properly.

Audeze LCDs had this wood cracking issues too apparently and is why they included wood care oil. https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3ee7lh/psa_for_audeze_lcd2f3f_and_wooden_headphone_owners/

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,536 of 8,051
HD 800 got in. The 1060s are boxed up and ready to be returned.

Final impression. The 1060 is a great can, possibly one of the best, if your budget is like 400 and under but even then you could get a used HD700 for $300 too and I'd take the 700 over the 1060 any day based on my own tonal preferences.

It would be silly for me to keep them. My iSine 20 beats them and the 800s make them look like a toy. But that's not to say they're bad. Again, probably one of the better deals for $300 available right now. If you dip into the used market you start seeing HD700s for $300 and Beyer T1s for $450 though.

It amazes me how subjective this is. After 2 days with the 1060 I can't find anything about the HD700 that I like better then the 1060. Even the comfort of the 1060 is better and I really like the comfort of the HD700.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #1,538 of 8,051
So, who fancies seeing if we have a case to claim the ACTUAL cables shown in the Monoprice webpage? I bet it's a lot better than the one we all got!

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #1,539 of 8,051

I agree with your thought. I live in L.A. so it's pretty dry here as well. and on a side note, I too am originally from the Seattle area. :) hehe

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,540 of 8,051
Hmm, that's the first time I hear someone describing the mids on the HD6XX as recessed. I thought all the HD6xx siblings where generally considered to be really mid centric. I've only heard the HD600 (auditioned) and HD650 (own) and certainly wouldn't call the midrange recessed on either. I'd guess that the M1060 is VERY mid forward then.....

Lol, this makes me think of the Trinity Audio thread: a lot of qc issues but people not having them refuses to acknowledge that they exist.....

Edit: anyway, I've learned my lesson from my Trinity experience (it never happens to me, right
wink.gif
) and all the reports of qc issues with the M1060 just makes the too big of a risk for me to import them over here.

I can tell you the mids are not forward on the M1060.  Other cans with more forward mids are HD600, HD650, HE-6, DT880.  There are some nulls and peaks in the frequency response in the vocal range that make the "mids" seem forward and weird.  FYI, this is eliminated with Audeze vegan pads.

That's why is hobby is so interesting.  Human hearing is so subjective.  The HD6xx to my ears sounds V-shaped, and the M1060 basically flattens the V for me.  In my youth, I was a bass player for a rock band and hung out by the drums so my hearing is shot.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,543 of 8,051
I don't think this has been discussed here before, but here goes: I think it's quite an experience initially coming from dynamic drivers to your first planars.
The brain burn-in is a thing, and it takes a while to get adjusted to how the sound is being generated. This seems to show in some of the opinions here.
Generally the more impressions vs. other planars we get here, the better value the thread has IMO, (and for example: I fail to see the point in comparing the 1060 to 600/650/6XX if you've got a limited experience with the Sennheisers.)

Additionally, the HD650 having recessed mids comment, and the 1060 beating the HE-6 have truly been hilarious.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,544 of 8,051
  I just did a quick search of the thread and I counted 6 users that reported having the cracked ear cup. Now, I have no way of knowing how many of the M1060 buyers are on Head-Fi following this thread (I haven't bought one) so that's largely useless data on its own. But it makes me wonder if geographic location has an effect on the cracking because I'm assuming they are cracking because on humidity differences and most places in China are pretty humid.

Can any owners that have the cracking problem weigh in on their local climate?

I live in the south-west most corner of Utah where it is ridiculously dry. So I'm thinking that if I buy the M1060 the cracking is going to inevitable rather than avoidable, no matter how many times it's RMA'd. It really makes me wish they had used something other than wood for the cups.

They could still use wood. It just needs to be pressure treated. Buck knives does it. I believe Grado does it too. Possibly this could be a design problem. I didn't examine mine too closely before sending them back, but I bet there are inserts in the wood that act like miniature wedges. My guess is that they are press fit. That's why the cracking is located around those pivots. Of course, low humidity doesn't help either.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back