Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 4, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,501 of 8,051
Got 4 of them around the same price range plugged in and volume matched.

So far I think the M1060 does better with metal compared to the rest. More detailed accurate bass and not as fatiguing in the highs.
The M1060 also Sound the most realistic... I can imagine being in the same room as the music easier.

M1060 vs X2 = little deeper and detailed soundstage, in most songs, compared to the X2. More Sub-bass and cleaner, sacrificing some of that impact bass the X2's have.

M1060 vs. T50rp = I am starting to not like the pads I have on my T50rp, as they are sounding a bit bloated in bass to me now. The voices sound more distant and sometimes I feel everything is a bit vailed in comparison. (may just be the hm5 angled pads though). The sound changes as I push in on the pads. I think its time to change the t50 pads for a change now. The T50 definitively has the more bass presence. I still love these, I just see some of their weaknesses in comparison. However they still have different attributes, and may sound better on certain genres.

M1060 vs. HD600 = my HD600s are probably still needing some burn-in, but they do still give a run for the money in the Acoustic, detail, and drum impact compared to the M1060, and I give the edge to the HD600 in that respect (analytical sound). However, soundstage width/depth, layering, tone, realism, and bass all go to the M1060. The M1060 is overall significantly more fun and appealing to listen too. As soon as I got the M1060 the only reason I am wanting to listen to the HD600 is to compare it to the M1060, and usually prefer the M1060.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #1,503 of 8,051

Interesting; in what sense do you feel the M1060 is superior?

In regards to the HD6xx, the bass extends deeper and more visceral with the M1060.  The mids in the HD6xx is a bit recessed, but mids in the M1060 is right there, in full glory.  Vocals, especially females, are lush and warm.  SRV's Strat sounds thick and heavy in Texas Flood, and that's a good thing.  SRV uses heavy gauge strings, tuned half step down, like Hendrix, for that fat sound, and the M1060 really brings it out.  The highs are a bit of a wash, but the nod goes to the Monoprice as well.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,505 of 8,051
So i wound up going for it and purchased the Jotunheim for my 1060's. Now I'm at my wits end searching for a XLR to MMCA balanced cable. Do they even exist? Do i need to contact someone to get one made? Any advice would be welcome, still new to higher end audio, only ever had DT770's.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #1,506 of 8,051
  Unfortunately for me, my set of M1060 has started cracking at where the headband system enters the earcups on both sides after 2 days. It's a shame that I have to send these back and will probably end up losing the £70 import duty I paid for them. 

Mine did the same thing as well. I noticed mine about 4 days ago. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,507 of 8,051
DAY 2 Sound Impressions
Since I have never heard an LCD series or Hifiman headphones. The M1060 sounds fantastic to me. I have been listening to several songs that I thought sounded good on my T50rp mkIII and I am blown away at how much better they sound on the M1060.

I have been doing side by side comparisons with HD600 and my M40x(zmf angled cowhide pad)

The M1060 is definitely my favorite from my comparisons. The sound stage feels larger, and layered with imagery and detail. I have never experienced this feeling of sound encompassing you in a headhone like i have with the 1060.

Can you compare the vocals/vocal presence of the M1060 vs the 600? And the M1060 vs the m40x? I'm concerned about some reports of the vocals being buried or pushed back.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,508 of 8,051
Compared the 1060s to the 600s...

Have not burned the 1060s in at all...but...

I played some Allen Toussaint's Life, Love, and Faith which has some pronounced vocals and I thought it sounded about right...more lively instrumentals though.

Played The Cars self-titled album and I thought they were a tick less pronounced, but a more lively instrumental though.

Both are 24/96 rips.

I am going to guess YMMV on these.  Curious how they sound with burn-in.

Edit - listening to some spotify tracks now...vocals definitely sitting back a bit on these.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #1,509 of 8,051
  So i wound up going for it and purchased the Jotunheim for my 1060's. Now I'm at my wits end searching for a XLR to MMCA balanced cable. Do they even exist? Do i need to contact someone to get one made? Any advice would be welcome, still new to higher end audio, only ever had DT770's.

I've too done some preliminary searching and the first thing that came up was Impact audio cables where you would get a balanced MMCX to Eidolic 3.5GB balanced TRRS.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/473771210/custom-4ft-type-6-copper-litz-iem-cable?ref=shop_home_active_2

Then you would need the 3.5 TRRS to 4 pin XLR adapter

https://www.etsy.com/listing/401110183/impact-audio-cables-ultra-mini-adapter?ref=shop_home_active_2

It might be cheaper finding a balanced cable for the Shure headphones as they use MMCX connectors or have Peter build a custom cable with MMCX to 4 pin XLR.

If you find something that works, make sure you share!

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,510 of 8,051
  I've too done some preliminary searching and the first thing that came up was Impact audio cables where you would get a balanced MMCX to Eidolic 3.5GB balanced TRRS.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/473771210/custom-4ft-type-6-copper-litz-iem-cable?ref=shop_home_active_2

Then you would need the 3.5 TRRS to 4 pin XLR adapter

https://www.etsy.com/listing/401110183/impact-audio-cables-ultra-mini-adapter?ref=shop_home_active_2

It might be cheaper finding a balanced cable for the Shure headphones as they use MMCX connectors or have Peter build a custom cable with MMCX to 4 pin XLR.

If you find something that works, make sure you share!

If you want something cheap and fast:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/282333175460

Buy that and then buy this: http://www.markertek.com/product/nc4fxx-b/neutrik-nc4fxx-b-4-pin-female-xlr-cable-end-black-shell-gold-contacts

$26 and you have a SPC OCC balanced cable.  Just clip off the 3.5mm SE termination and solder the neutrik on.

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,511 of 8,051
  Compared the 1060s to the 600s...

Have not burned the 1060s in at all...but...

I played some Allen Toussaint's Life, Love, and Faith which has some pronounced vocals and I thought it sounded about right...more lively instrumentals though.

Played The Cars self-titled album and I thought they were a tick less pronounced, but a more lively instrumental though.

Both are 24/96 rips.

I am going to guess YMMV on these.  Curious how they sound with burn-in.

Edit - listening to some spotify tracks now...vocals definitely sitting back a bit on these.

This may be a deal breaker. I'm a vocals freak and pushed back vocals are generally unacceptable to me. Generally speaking.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,512 of 8,051
Unfortunately for me, my set of M1060 has started cracking at where the headband system enters the earcups on both sides after 2 days. It's a shame that I have to send these back and will probably end up losing the £70 import duty I paid for them.

Same problem with mine (cracks in wood around swivel points) ... and plastic nut covers disappearing as well.

Mine did the same thing as well. I noticed mine about 4 days ago. 

Same here. Makes four of us so far. I'll make use of the warranty once they're back in stock. No other issues with them though.

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #1,513 of 8,051
Did anyone find mmcx to 4pin xlr cable at reasonable price? I found few but they were 200-400 bucks.

This is your best bet:

MMCX 2.5mm/3.5mm Balanced Cable (Fidue) $59
http://penonaudio.com/FIDUE-A83-2.5-3.5mm-MMCX-Cable

4pin XLR to 3.5mm Balanced Adapter $29
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-XLR-Male-Balanced-to-1-4-1-8-Female-Headphone-Cable-TRS-Audio-Adapter-/121334484324?var=&hash=item1c40194d64

This is highly useful, inexpensive, and versatile, as you can now use the M1060 on 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and 4 Pin XLR balanced connections.

I'm very much surprised no one has run these balanced yet. I will on Tuesday when I get mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back