Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,471 of 8,051
It was yes. Here's an excerpt from the chat session:

Obviously when it comes to the crunch, the story may be different.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,472 of 8,051
Thoughts on whether the M1060 is worth the upgrade over the M560?  I do like the open/close configurability of the M560 but if the M1060 is a magnitude better sounding w/ better bass...

Search doesn't work too well in this thread, probably because of the title :)

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,473 of 8,051
Drums and pianos are right there in front of you, keys being hammered and skins being hit and you can place them and feel the sound. 

I agree. You can also feel acoustic guitar strings being plucked or strummed. So awesome. I only wish that vocals weren't so pushed back. Most of the time it's no problem but once in awhile I really feel like the vocals are distant.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,474 of 8,051
Got these babies today. First impression's overwhelmingly positive: these come much closer to my ProMedias than any other headphones I've owned, including Elear and Nighthawk. Bass quantity isn't lacking but the quality and definition is outstanding. Even out of Asgard 2 they sound terrific. 

BUT........after I tried them with amps I accidently plugged them into iphone unaware that the volume setting's at max.........Just asking, would 3 or 4 seconds of extremely loud SPL harm planar diaphragm? Right now as I'm listening I feel like the bass isn't quite as solid as before. Help!

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,475 of 8,051
First things first.  Replaced the right angle plug with a straight plug.

The right angle one is the same plug I used for my T50RP Mk3

Onto the brief impression.  I have two other planars, the TH500-RP, and the above mentioned T50RP Mk3.  I going to glance over the Mk3's because they are heavily modified (for EDM goodness) and focus on the TH500-RP.  The problems with the TH500-RP are the rolled-off treble and limited sound stage, outlined in this review comparing it to a LCD-2 (http://headphone.guru/enter-the-fostex-th500rp-planar-magnetic-headphones/).  The M1060 has much better treble than the Fostex.  High hats and cymbal attacks are crisp and sharp with a very natural decay.  The soundstage is also noticeably wider, with excellent imaging, and is about perfect for my ears.  The midrange is somehow even better than the TH500-RP.  Vocals are wonderful without any hint of sibilance.  The bass, oh man, the bass is where it's at!  Much deeper extension, but tight and clear, and no boominess.

The M1060 also beats out the HD6xx, especially the midrange where the Monoprice just kills the Sennheiser.

Tracks:
1) Son of a Preacher Man, Dusty Springfield (24 Bit 192 KHz) - Female vocal
2) Don't Know Why, Nora Jones (SACD) - Female vocal
3) Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley (SACD) - Male vocal
4) Bohemian Rhahsody, Queen (SACD) - Freddie Mercury's vocal
5) YYZ, Rush (MFSL Redbook) - Neil Peart's drums
6) Hotel California, Eagles (24 Bit 192 KHz) - Because it's effin' Hotel California
7) WYWH-album, Pink Floyd (SACD) - No comments necessary
8) Trance Party, Infected Mushroom (Redbook) - EDM

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,477 of 8,051
  The M1060 also beats out the HD6xx, especially the midrange where the Monoprice just kills the Sennheiser.

Interesting; in what sense do you feel the M1060 is superior?

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,478 of 8,051
  Thoughts on whether the M1060 is worth the upgrade over the M560?  I do like the open/close configurability of the M560 but if the M1060 is a magnitude better sounding w/ better bass...

Search doesn't work too well in this thread, probably because of the title :)

I have both, and the M1060 is substantially better. I like the M560, but its only real advantage over the M1060 is that it is semi-portable and can (sort of) convert to closed - I can see myself sticking the M560 in my backpack and switching to closed mode for a flight. I might keep both for that reason alone. M1060 is my new go-to for at my desk.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,480 of 8,051
Unfortunately for me, my set of M1060 has started cracking at where the headband system enters the earcups on both sides after 2 days. It's a shame that I have to send these back and will probably end up losing the £70 import duty I paid for them. 

Monoprice might have went a bit too far when trying to copy Audeze, this wasn't what we were asking to be copied.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #1,481 of 8,051
Anybody tries Brainwavz HM5 earpads with M1060?

Don't do it. Whatever pad you choose needs to be circular so that it can adhere to the outside edge of the cup and create a perfect seal. The Brainwavz pads are eliptical in design and might break the seal where it gets narrower. I recommend Audeze Leather Free pads, which can be had from BHPhoto for $65.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,482 of 8,051
Quick question. Can I use the Monoprice headphone/dac in conjunction connected to my Oppo BD-103? My Emotiva headphone/dad XDA-2 doesn't seem to have enough power to comply with the power consumption of the M1060s. I just want to straight plug a USB cable from my Oppo to the Monoprice amp. Is this feasible? Or just crazy talk?

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,483 of 8,051
Just got mine this morning...left channel is already crackling and outright going dead with any slight head movement.

Very sad.

Can't really judge the sound since you need substantial burn in that I won't get to judge at the moment.  Might just leave a playlist on overnight to break them in and try them out tomorrow for a sound test.

Construction seems good, but there are definitely some areas where they got a bit cheapish...the left channel issue being a result of that.  The band, too.  Otherwise, a pretty sexy headphone.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,484 of 8,051
Welp, I sold my M1060's to somebody else who was looking for them. I didn't sell it for a profit, in fact, after shipping and insurance, I probably lost about $5. Worth it IMO. Better than waiting potentially weeks to receive a full refund and someone else gets a shot to own them. 

Man did they sound fantastic...Unfortunately for me the amount of sound they leaked just wasn't going to work for me in the situation that I need to use them. I should of expected as much from an open back with a Planar driver. I didn't realize the way they functioned would cause even more leakage than wide open dynamic cans. I was one of the lucky ones without any sort of connector issue as well...

I ended up picking up the T20RP with Brainwavz pads. It's an open back variant of the T50RP, but it's not extremely open so I don't anticipate a lot of sound leakage, definitely not on the level of the M1060. I've opted to keep my Schiit stack and see how those headphones fair with it. I don't expect the same quality of sound or build quality, then again, they're half the price and the M1060's apparently compete with headphones in the $700 range. 

GAH I wish they would have worked out for me. I already miss em and I just dropped them off at USPS lol. Maybe one day when I get my life together and live on my own I can revisit them. Maybe then they'll be a V2 with more traditional connectors :)

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,485 of 8,051
Just got mine this morning...left channel is already crackling and outright going dead with any slight head movement.

Very sad.

Can't really judge the sound since you need substantial burn in that I won't get to judge at the moment.  Might just leave a playlist on overnight to break them in and try them out tomorrow for a sound test.

Construction seems good, but there are definitely some areas where they got a bit cheapish...the left channel issue being a result of that.  The band, too.  Otherwise, a pretty sexy headphone.

I got these yesterday and they completely fixed the connection issue for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Tennmak-Detachable-Replacement-Headphones-Transparent/dp/B01LVYY553/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488652881&sr=8-2&keywords=mmcx+cable

To be sure it's the wire, swap the left/right connections and see if the problem swaps sides. If it doesnt, it's the cup connection . If it does, it's the cable.

It's kinda hard to test any sound difference since it takes a minute to change the cable, but I swear this cable lowers the volume a little and cleans the bass up a little. I had thoughts that it defined the imagery slightly too. BUT...That was late at night and it might be more phycological..(except the slight volume change). I think it might sound a little better to my ears with the new cable...But I could listen to them today I think the stock cables sound better...Or find no difference. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back