Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 3, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #1,396 of 8,051
While I was running, and with the brain starved of oxygen, I was thinking about the bad left mmcx connector that a lot of people have. I wonder if at the final testing, one of the left plugs had a larger than standard pin that expanded the socket making it loose. In that case, the problem could not have been picked up, and was actually caused by the final quality test.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,397 of 8,051
  Its cool I don't take offense haha. You should see the hate mail I get every day. Its insane. Dozens of people a day telling me to kill myself. That's the youtube life!
Thanks for the support! : )

That's insane ... Continue the good work, I really enjoy your videos as well !

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,398 of 8,051
  Just got mind today and WOW I like them a lot, definitely a good value at $300. 30 second impressions are, they're keepers and i'm gonna go buy a balanced MMCX cable. 

I'll give it a few days and some burn in time before I talk about the SQ, but initial impressions are good. My reference cans are the Ether Flow's C's and Stax SR307/SRM323. 

Ooh, another Stax-ifier! I am awaiting your impressions, Sir.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,399 of 8,051
Mine arrived at my office this afternoon 30 minutes before I had to leave for the weekend, so only a minimal amount of observation, plus I don't like making deep assessments prior to burn-in.

Equipment: I'm running these off a Marantz HD-DAC1 and my current headphones are the Koss ESP-950 electrostatics with the E90 energizer/amp. One of the difficulties I immediately ran into is that while I can run both cans out of the Marantz simultaneously, the M1060s are so insanely easy to drive that even with the E90 turned up to max I could not volume match the two... which makes qualitative comparisons difficult.

I listened back and forth between the two headphones for about 20 minutes before putting my music on shuffle at decent volume to let them burn in for the weekend and walking out the door.

Thoughts in no particular order:

These things are comfortable as hell. Love love love the pads and the way the headphones sit on the head. They are considerably heavier than the Koss, but there's virtually no noticeable clamping pressure. I feel I could wear these for days.

The jaggedness of the metal... OY! Very sharp feel to them, do not like. A bit of finishing during the manufacturing process would have done wonders.

Connectors: no problem with mine. Jiggled and twisted mine trying to get them to cut out and couldn't. Time will tell...

What complete moron thought that a cord that short would be a good thing? I'm not going to be able to use these in my office without some sort of workaround... either a replacement cord that's longer or an extender cable of some sort (recommendations as to either greatfully appreciated).

Headband: cheap POS. As great as the wood and metal look and the pads look and feel, the exact opposite is true of the headband and adjusters. Bleagh.

Ok, now on to sound...

Given what I had read from others thus far, out of the box these sound much better than I was expecting, even without burn-in. Bass and mid-bass presence are stronger than the Koss. The soundstage is wider than the Koss. Overall I feel more depth with the M1060 than my electrostatics.

Treble, midrange, and detail, on the other hand is where the Koss kick the M1060's butt. There's a level of crispness and clarity that just isn't there with the M1060 out of the box... to be expected though, as those are areas where electrostatics traditionally excel.

Early assessment made on minimal listening: I think I will wind up keeping both, as I think they each lend themselves to different styles of music. For acoustic, jazz, and classical material I can see staying with the electrostatics, but for rock and metal I'm likely to want the M1060s. Jury is still out on pop, trance, etc.

Again, the above is all really premature, but I wanted to post a first take. Opinions definitely subject to change after burn-in and critical listening.

Regardless, material quality issues notwithstanding, these appear to be a great bang for the buck.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,400 of 8,051
The problem is that ortho diaphragm tension is very hard to keep consistent from what Tyll said so it's entirely possible that impressions differ because some pairs would sound drastically different.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,401 of 8,051
I got my M1060's a little over an hour now. Keep in mind I am new to this "Hobby" and not an audiophile by any means. I enjoy music, but I am probably not the best at picking out details when it comes to sound. I am using a Mangi V2 and Modi V2 for AMP/DAC. My first impressions:

Build quality:

Built quality is pretty much what I expected. It's not amazing, but it's pretty good. It's hard to surprise me after having experienced the build quality of Fidelio X2's. The headband system could be better, there's already marks on the metal band itself from the adjustment mechanism, as well as shreds of plastic on the metal. I could see the adjustment band being an issue down the road. That being said, I am sure the built quality and materials used are superior to any HiFiman headphone in the $300 price-range. 

The panels on the side of the headphones are sharp, but it's not really an issue since you're not really going to be touching the headphones there at any point in time. The wood is...well wood. Being wood, there's imperfections, but considering it's wood it's to be expected. Oh and yes, it has that smell that everyone seems to like. 

Those connectors:

The connectors were a concern for me. After multiple reports of ear cups disconnecting I nearly panic cancelled my order. With that being said....I haven't ran into such an issue, at least, not yet. I could see these connectors being an issue down the road however. I've never had any headphones or IEM's with MMCX connectors, but I have noticed that the connectors don't seem to fit all the way inside my headphones. They have a distinct shape that makes you think they're supposed to snap in securely one way, however, they freely rotate once snapped in. The cable is the perfect length for me because I keep my AMP and DAC near the front of my desk. You may have an issue if your AMP is pushed near the back of your desk. 

Comfort:

The more and more I get into headphones, the more and more I've come to the realization that comfort is really subjective. The shape of your head, ears, etc is going to shape the way you feel about comfort on headphones. As someone with a larger head and average sized ears, I personally think these headphones are really comfortable. They aren't the most comfortable that I have worn personally (That has to go to the Fidelio X2's as well) but they do completely encompass my ears and I think they'll encompass yours as well, unless your ears are very very large. 

The headband has "cushions" on it, but they aren't extremely soft and don't appear to be any sort of memory-foam material. I can feel the headband on the top of my head, but it's not applying very much pressure at all. I will say, that it does take some fiddling with the headband adjustment to get it adjusted to where I really want it. It's not really as seamless as I had wished, but it's not terrible. 

Sound:

Okay, so this is arguably going to be the part that most audiophiles and headphone enthusiasts on this website are going to care about, however, it's also going to be the part that I am the absolute worst at explaining. As mentioned above, I am new to higher-end audio and not an audiophile by any means. I primarily listen to modern rap/hip-hop, which is terrible genre to benchmark just about any headphone with the exception of beats and bass-cannon/bass heavy headphones. Given the circumstances, I opted to listen to songs from other genres that I listen to every-so-often. 

Something that really stood out to me was when I started playing "One" by Metallica. The first 25 seconds consists of gunshots and a helicopter flying over. I've listened to this song numerous times and I think this the first pair of headphones I've listened to the beginning of this song and really felt something. I could "feel" the sound the gunshots and felt like the helicopter was actually flying over me. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever heard the song and listened to it on a basic sound system or sub-par headphones, I'd give it a listen. 

Being someone who listens to a lot of hip-hop, I feel like I am fairly decent as paying attention to bass. The bass on these headphones sound and feel unique. I'm assuming it's the "planar bass" that I have heard referenced several times. The bass isn't overblown by any means, it isn't overwhelming and it's not underwhelming. If anything, I would describe it as "Accurate and punchy." One thing I did try, was listening to metal music with a lot of pedal-bass in it and I found it's extremely easy to hear each individual hit. It doesn't really meld together.

One of the things that stood out to me the most with these headphones was the sound leak. Now, I've owned a lot of open headphones, but these headphones leak more sound that any other pair I have ever owned. If you live in tight living quarters with somebody else, have a roommate in a small college dorm, want to use these in a cubicle surrounded by other people or intend to use these headphones in public...I would advise you look elsewhere, unless you don't mind everybody else hearing what you hear and or bothering other people. The sound leak is so significant, it may be a deal breaker for some people. I have to give it time to see if it proves to be an issue for me, because while I need to have some openness on my headphones to hear people that want to talk to me, I don't want them hearing everything I listen to. 

Overall feelings: 

Are these headphones worth $300? As of now, I am going to say yes. It's hard to argue with headphones that have a mostly metal and wood construction, 106mm planar drivers and a 5 year warranty at that price point. 

While I am not blown away by these headphones, I am not underwhelmed either. I definitely need to spend more time with them to provide final opinions. I really do like the sound and their comfort, but I really don't like the amount of sound they leak, I am still skeptical of the MMCX connectors and how well parts of the headphone are going to hold up over time. I'm going to give them more time before I make a final decision whether or not to keep them, return them, or sell them. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,402 of 8,051
  The problem is that ortho diaphragm tension is very hard to keep consistent from what Tyll said so it's entirely possible that impressions differ because some pairs would sound drastically different.

This. My friend is getting a pair once they're available again.  I'll make sure I give them a good listen and compare, plus see how close they measure to my pair.  

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,404 of 8,051
Got the headphone today. The left mmcx was bad, easily fixed with tweezers. The cable is, well, no so good, but servicible. Got mmcx connectors coming from Lunashops. The plan is to make a balanced cable. Letting it burn for a bit while I go running, and will give it a listen later tonight. Gonna see how it stacks up to TH500-RP, T50RP mk3 (heavily modded), and HD6XX.

Let me know how you feel it stacks up against the T50RP. I'll try and keep an eye out :p

Originally Posted by Aerosu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I received the headphones last night from my purchase from ebay.  Overall I am liking the sound of the headphones especially for its sound stage and in games.  I've started noticing things in Overwatch like wild life sounds and background sounds which were probably there before, but these headphones really helped point them out to myself. It's as if they were sounds of gibberish with my old headphones.  I've come to equalize a bit in the lower treb to help bring it forward, but the rest of the spectrum of sound is greatly to my liking.

Unfortunately, I most likely will be exchanging them as it seems I've gotten a used pair. 

For instance the headband adjustments seemed to be used prior to myself.

There is a scratch along the wood finish on one of the cups.

Another thing I had noticed was that the stickers seemed to be "restuck" on but I had overlooked that unfortunately and slit them open on the box itself.

Mine have the exact same markings, both on the headband and the wood. I'm leaning less towards them having been used prior, and more towards them testing the phones in QA before packing them up. The markings on the headband would come just after adjusting them down to the final notch and back up. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,406 of 8,051
HD 800 got in. The 1060s are boxed up and ready to be returned.

Final impression. The 1060 is a great can, possibly one of the best, if your budget is like 400 and under but even then you could get a used HD700 for $300 too and I'd take the 700 over the 1060 any day based on my own tonal preferences.

It would be silly for me to keep them. My iSine 20 beats them and the 800s make them look like a toy. But that's not to say they're bad. Again, probably one of the better deals for $300 available right now. If you dip into the used market you start seeing HD700s for $300 and Beyer T1s for $450 though.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,407 of 8,051
  Someone that can make a $10-15 version of the Audeze Vegan pads for these would make a killing. Think about it Monoprice.....

There is no reason material wise that this can't happen. There is a huge markup on those pads.

I've thought the same thing.  The Audeze pads are WAY better but still not ideal.  The pad opening is slightly smaller and they put your ears further from the driver which will make the mids/lower treble even more recessed.  

Just a material change on the pads would be all that's needed.  

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #1,408 of 8,051
... It would be silly for me to keep them. My iSine 20 beats them and the 800s make them look like a toy. But that's not to say they're bad. Again, probably one of the better deals for $300 available right now. If you dip into the used market you start seeing HD700s for $300 and Beyer T1s for $450 though.

It's not exactly valid to compare a new product to used products... but that said, I'm thrilled that you've found your audio nirvana. I look forward to getting to listen to some HD800s. I also want to find some locals that have electrostatics that I can try out.

My package arrived three days ago and I haven't been able to make the time to go pick it up >.< I'm not going to get to hear them until MONDAY, now!

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,409 of 8,051
Man was going to put up my M1060 up for $350 before I read the flipping rule. I'll just return it.

It's ok. Can't hold a candle to the HD 800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back