Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #1,262 of 8,051
  @Ggroch

Since M1060 highs are a bit brighter than LCD2, I would also be interested in your comparison of M1060 vs HiFiMan HE560, please !

I have some preliminary feedback on the M1060 vs Hifiman HE-560

Comfort - both outstanding, I weighed them (without cables) and both are very light for their size..M1060 weighs 1lb 1 ounce, just 3 ounces more than the 560).  Cushions and pressure seem comparable...I wear the 560s for hours and they feel great, same with the M1060, I think they are both 10 out of 10 for comfort around the house.

Build - both very nice...fine by me.  Slight edge in build to Hifiman HE-560 because it seems slightly better finished and uses some luxury materials (the pads and headband seem to be leather or at least are a lot more leatherish.  The Hifiman has plastic cup mounts and more plastic in the cups...but the metal on the Monoprice is sharper to touch.  Both look nice and seem very well built (except for possible MMCX connection issues down the road..My HE560s use simple 2.5mm plugs).

Efficiency -  this surprised me...the Monoprice have far more output at a given amp level than the HE-560s.  On my P1 headphone amp (which sounds great with both) if I am at 10 O'clock with the Monoprice I have to go to about 12 O'clock on the HE-560's for the same level.  I do not think the M1060s are anywhere near as hard to drive as some have speculated here. 

wait for it........  good boy:

Sound-  These 2 are more similar to my ears than the M1060 and LCD-2...but perhaps more different than I expected.   Both the M1060 and HE-560 have solid fast deep bass.  I think the 560s have a bit more deep bass punch but both are fun phones.  The mid bass is a bit more recessed on the 560's making male vocals a bit thinner...but the 1060s sound very natural and never bloated.  Overall, the midrange seems a bit more forward on the 1060s..just a bit, and that's fine because they are natural and gorgeous.  I like brighter phones...so I like the 560s very much.  However, on some recordings they can be a bit too bright and start to show signs of sibilance.   It may be the recordings fault and I like the sparkle (thanks for providing the correct word Beagle, I can see you have a lot more experience describing headphone sound than I do).   The M1060s have just a bit less sparkle...a bit less high frequency bump I think, but they still sound clear, natural and sparkle when sparkle is called for.  

On some recordings where I hear traces of sibilance on the 560s I hear less on the 1060s.   Overall, the 560s are a bit more "fun" because of slightly more bass bump and sparkle..whereas the M1060s are more natural.  For my ears, I like them both more than the darker LCD-2s.

There is another difference that I did not expect (and perhaps others can describe better than I).  The HE-560s have a tremendous "liquidity" about them. They have great detail but everything still sounds musical and as I said, has some liquid smooth lushness.  The M1060s (at this point not burned in) are not as liquid, and are perhaps slightly less detailed. Perhaps the 560s are slightly quicker..but  Its close.   The 1060s do seem a bit more natural, and are somewhat more forgiving on not so great recordings.   In any case.....there is no question that the 1060s are really fine headphones and a remarkable value.

I enjoyed re-reading the Innerfidelity review of the 560s Here.   The review contrasts the 560 and LCD-2 and matches my experience.  I would place the M1060 between the 2 in tonal balence.  I like em!

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #1,263 of 8,051
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU my headphones have been delayed by UPS due to "A late UPS Trailer arrival" not sure until when. They were supposed to be delivered today. It's not a huge deal if it's a one day delay because my Schiit stack is supposed to get here tomorrow....but PLEASE PLEASE don't be delayed until next week. Please. These M100's are hurting my ears. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,264 of 8,051
I think the upper midrange dip will eventually get to me. I listened to the Fostex TH500RP and could tell right away where the M1060 was lacking.

On the other hand, the M1060 did a couple of things better. But isn't that always the way, right? That's why we keep buying new headphones.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,265 of 8,051
Another update on ordering to the UK,
My headphones are on their way over to the UK right this second, but UPS gave customs the package details early so I've been able to get a quote for the import tax and duties.

Drum roll;

Just over £70!

The joys of living in the UK... :/

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,266 of 8,051
Another update on ordering to the UK,
My headphones are on their way over to the UK right this second, but UPS gave customs the package details early so I've been able to get a quote for the import tax and duties.

Drum roll;

Just over £70!

The joys of living in the UK... :/

Did you purchase from Ebay or Monoprice?  My friend has also ordered from the UK and he already had to pay so much to get it shipped there.  Is this import an additional cost?  Thanks in advance!

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,267 of 8,051
Did you purchase from Ebay or Monoprice?  My friend has also ordered from the UK and he already had to pay so much to get it shipped there.  Is this import an additional cost?  Thanks in advance!

I purchased from Monoprice directly. Being a fairly significant company, as UPS is, parcel values seem to be declared to the UK customs even before the parcel arrives, presumably to avoid upsetting the UK government and to ensure the payment is made. The UK requires you to pay for VAT at 20% of the combined value of the headphones + shipping as well as duties, which UPS will quote as one lump sum, for me, and likely for your friend, just over £70. As this is calculated including shipping, your friend will have to pay this charge on top of the shipping cost, as I have to.

It sucks, and if you order from a small Chinese company or similar sometimes customs won't see your item as high value (or somehow will miss it on its way through) and you won't need to pay the additional fees. But with monoprice and UPS I highly doubt customs will 'miss' the headphones value.

Sorry if I'm the bringer of bad news :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #1,268 of 8,051
I purchased from Monoprice directly. Being a fairly significant company, as UPS is, parcel values seem to be declared to the UK customs even before the parcel arrives, presumably to avoid upsetting the UK government and to ensure the payment is made. The UK requires you to pay for VAT at 20% of the combined value of the headphones + shipping as well as duties, which UPS will quote as one lump sum, for me, and likely for your friend, just over £70. As this is calculated including shipping, your friend will have to pay this charge on top of the shipping cost, as I have to.

It sucks, and if you order from a small Chinese company or similar sometimes customs won't see your item as high value (or somehow will miss it on its way through) and you won't need to pay the additional fees. But with monoprice and UPS I highly doubt customs will 'miss' the headphones value.

Sorry if I'm the bringer of bad news
frown.gif

Aww man, yeah I guess this will be a shocker for him. Thanks for all the information though.  That's an insane amount of import tax gosh.  Would he be paying this at the front door, or would it be by contacting UPS?

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,269 of 8,051
I ordered a pair of the M1060's this past weekend and they are scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. I can't wait to try them. I'll be putting them up against my Sennheiser HD650/HD600, Audio Technica M50xMG/M40x ''both with ZMF cowhide pads'', and Yamaha HPH-MT220 with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads. I'll be using my Creative E5 amp/DAC when listening/testing. The E5 is very underrated and not as well known as more expensive DAC's.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,270 of 8,051

That should be about £366 total for me...($450)

I'm hoping they will make a good alternative to LCD-2s at 40% of the price. I'll be comparing them on Saturday just for fun but I'm actually getting the HiFiMan Edition Xs as I prefer them to the LCD-2s anyway.

I don't need two pairs of headphones and I did actually try to cancel the order, but now I'm intrigued. If they don't turn out to be up to the hype, I'll stick them on the For Sale section.

I suffered the import duty for the Grace Design/Massdrop m9xx but that turned out to be a decent buy. Fingers crossed.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,271 of 8,051
  I ordered a pair of the M1060's this past weekend and they are scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. I can't wait to try them. I'll be putting them up against my Sennheiser HD650/HD600, Audio Technica M50xMG/M40x ''both with ZMF cowhide pads'', and Yamaha HPH-MT220 with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads. I'll be using my Creative E5 amp/DAC when listening/testing. The E5 is very underrated and not as well known as more expensive DAC's.

Welcome to Head-fi and congratulations on your 1st Planars! I think you will be very impressed.

A friend of mine has a Creative E5 and he loves it....the Swiss Army Knife of amps.    My guess is it should work just fine with the M1060s.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,273 of 8,051
  Welcome to Head-fi and congratulations on your 1st Planars! I think you will be very impressed.

A friend of mine has a Creative E5 and he loves it....the Swiss Army Knife of amps.    My guess is it should work just fine with the M1060s.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about the planar sound I'll get with the M1060. I've heard the widely popular planar Fostex T50RP MK3 and they sound great. I agree about the E5 being the Swiss Army knife of amps. You can choose direct mode to get direct sound from what you're listening to or turn on the awesome SBX Pro Studio to really get, for a lack of a better word, creative. :)

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,274 of 8,051
I think this is going to be a common problem Manny. These connectors are kind of built around things that don't move much. I'm thinking after I've knocked the connectors out a few times the problem will get bigger until eventually they will need replacing.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,275 of 8,051
I think this is going to be a common problem Manny. These connectors are kind of built around things that don't move much. I'm thinking after I've knocked the connectors out a few times the problem will get bigger until eventually they will need replacing.

I did notice the faulty connector's center hole was alot wider than the other side whilst fixing it. It's a shame really as I think it's keeper based off initial impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back