Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 1, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,186 of 8,051
Quick update regarding my ordering experience (shipping to the UK) as promised;

Monoprice did not have my county (Bedfordshire) on it's system. I actually received an email to ask if they could just use Bedford (a city) instead, and they refused to accept that this was a bad idea.

This is ~3 days after ordering. Unshipped at that point. I had a REALLY hard time trying to explain why this was an issue via email, so I went to the live chat.

Basically that went like this:
First time; "I'll update the colleague who emailed you" (followed by an email from said colleague 'please select from this list - which did not include Bedfordshire and also which he'd sent me before)

Second time; Disconnected as soon as someone was allocated to me

Third time; same story

Fourth; "I'm afraid theres nothing I can do and also even though we have your money I'm afraid you now won't get any headphones, you can wait or have a refund"

I was fuming, surely you allocate stock based on first come first served?

I made an international phone call, using a sketchy looking service.

After a 20 odd minute wait, someone answered.

I explained the issue, and how I felt about it, and the issue was resolved immediately, no questions. The guy I spoke to (and I hate that I've forgotten his name - sorry dude) was a godsend. He either corrected the system or knew the process for when this issue occurs, because within a few minutes my order completed processing and has since been shipped out.

My recommendation to anyone with any shipping issues, don't bother with online chat (I can post a transcript to demonstrate why but I won't unless requested), just call. I would normally never recommend international calls or waiting in queues but it's the most painless way to get the issue resolved quickly.

I'll continue to update as promised.

Sorry all for the essay :p

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #1,187 of 8,051
  One more tweak, added a paper towel to cover the back of the driver placed under the grill.  It's about a half inch smaller than the foam that covers the driver.  I'm still tweaking the size but I'm liking the results.  I probably need to modify the front driver grill cover to get the best effects that I'm looking for.  That's down the line.

Results of current config:

M1060M aka super sub bass HD650
1fcb0b47_RedM1060StockGreenM1060Audezepadspluspapertoweloveroutsidedriver.png

What's your measuring setup? For results I'd suggest using smaller scale. 105dB - 40 dB is used in speaker measurements. 120 - 20 is just silly. This frequency response looks really straight but really the red line is down massive 15 dB at 17k.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,188 of 8,051
This how I've always done it and is closest to how I hear different headphones.  It's great to zoom in to comb over the details but a 2dB change is distinctly audible so small changes have a big effect.  It becomes harder to see the overall coherence when the scale is zoomed in too much.

Even Tyll's measurements on InnerFidelity are 70dB range.  But I will humor you...

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #1,189 of 8,051
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]One more tweak, added a paper towel to cover the back of the driver placed under the grill.  It's about a half inch smaller than the foam that covers the driver.  I'm still tweaking the size but I'm liking the results.  I probably need to modify the front driver grill cover to get the best effects that I'm looking for.  That's down the line.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]Results of current config:[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA][COLOR=000000]M1060M aka super sub bass HD650[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=AEC3DA]
1fcb0b47_RedM1060StockGreenM1060Audezepadspluspapertoweloveroutsidedriver.png

[/COLOR]

Wow. Looks great! How does it affect the soundstage though?

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #1,190 of 8,051
I am sorry to ask another variation of a common question here but I am really hesitating between the combo Vali2 + modi 2 multibit (418USD) VS the Jotenheim with balanced DAC (499USD) ... 

My questions: 
- which one would you choose ?
- is the modi 2 multibit version really worth the extra 100 USD compared to the uber one  ?

PS: Please try not to propose me to go modi 2 multibit wit Jotenheim :D

Thanks! 

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,192 of 8,051
  Monprice M1060 36 hours impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyGXo1NPLbo "Wood has a spot in my heart"

I will get mine tomorrow, shipped all the way to Norway :)

Am I wrong...or does it seem like that guy has way too many high-end headphones to be running them all on such a small DAC/AMP?

I think DMSTV's review of the Monolith's are coming either today or tomorrow..that should be a pretty good review. 

EDIT: He confirmed he's going to be uploading a review tonight. 

Originally Posted by ashmodai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am sorry to ask another variation of a common question here but I am really hesitating between the combo Vali2 + modi 2 multibit (418USD) VS the Jotenheim with balanced DAC (499USD) ... 

My questions: 
- which one would you choose ?
- is the modi 2 multibit version really worth the extra 100 USD compared to the uber one  ?

PS: Please try not to propose me to go modi 2 multibit wit Jotenheim :D

Thanks

I'm new to the whole AMP/DAC audiophile high end stuff...but I did watch some reviews on the Jotenheim and it seems like a complete end game set up. End game meaning that it's all you'll ever need. If I was in the market and had the money I would probably personally spend the extra money for the Jotenheim with the DAC because it's an all in one package. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #1,193 of 8,051
Am I wrong...or does it seem like that guy has way too many high-end headphones to be running them all on such a small DAC/AMP? 

I think DMSTV's review of the Monolith's are coming either today or tomorrow..that should be a pretty good review. 

EDIT: He confirmed he's going to be uploading a review tonight. 

I'm new to the whole AMP/DAC audiophile high end stuff...but I did watch some reviews on the Jotenheim and it seems like a complete end game set up. End game meaning that it's all you'll ever need. If I was in the market and had the money I would probably personally spend the extra money for the Jotenheim with the DAC because it's an all in one package. 

Seems like a little more attention should be paid to his front end! He's got to be under driving a few of his headphones, especially the M1060!

I'd probably got Jotenheim. You'll never need another amp, and the DAC section will be upgradable.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,194 of 8,051
Seems like a little more attention should be paid to his front end! He's got to be under driving a few of his headphones, especially the M1060!

I'd probably got Jotenheim. You'll never need another amp, and the DAC section will be upgradable.

I've just recently found out how important it is to have a DAC and AMP if you really want to get into higher-end audio. So...I can understand if that's the case. Had I not asked several people about their thoughts on the M1060, I'd be trying to run them with an E10K. (Which is apparently do-able but going to be pretty lackluster) 

I ended up purchasing a Magni 2 and Modi 2 Schiit stack along with the M1060's. Really exciting. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,195 of 8,051
I've seen a lot of people say that the M1060s obvious comparison is the Audeze which I guess makes sense in the visual sense, but it seems like the HE400 and HE400S would be the most direct comparison since they're all planar magnetic headphones at the $300 price point. Am I wrong?

That said, I'd be really interested to see a comparison between the M1060s and the HE400 series.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,196 of 8,051
  I've seen a lot of people say that the M1060s obvious comparison is the Audeze which I guess makes sense in the visual sense, but it seems like the HE400 and HE400S would be the most direct comparison since they're all planar magnetic headphones at the $300 price point. Am I wrong?

That said, I'd be really interested to see a comparison between the M1060s and the HE400 series.

That seems to be the case. When I was looking at which headphones I wanted to purchased, it was between the HE400i, HE400S or the M1060's. 

I ended up buying the M1060's over the hifiman's mostly because of the materials they're made of and the warranty. The hifiman's abundance of plastic had me a bit worried. But there's also been a lot of comparisons claiming the M1060's are competitive with much more costly headphones so...that's another bonus. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,197 of 8,051

I have the 400i, so I am really interested in that comparison. (BTW, though I believe the official MSRP on the 400i has declined to $449, it is often available for less; I got it for $300 in January.) At least one commenter here has noted that between the two he'd pick the M1060. I'm looking forward to DMS3's review--I really enjoy his videos. Unfortunately, he's noted in comments that he's never heard the 400i, though he has reviewed the original HE-400.

Actually, while the M1060's ear cups look like Audeze cups, the headband and adjustment is almost a dead ringer for that currently used by Hifiman.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,198 of 8,051
  I have the 400i, so I am really interested in that comparison. (BTW, though I believe the official MSRP on the 400i has declined to $449, it is often available for less; I got it for $300 in January.) At least one commenter here has noted that between the two he'd pick the M1060. I'm looking forward to DMS3's review--I really enjoy his videos. Unfortunately, he's noted in comments that he's never heard the 400i, though he has reviewed the original HE-400.

Actually, while the M1060's ear cups look like Audeze cups, the headband and adjustment is almost a dead ringer for that currently used by Hifiman.

My M1060's won't be here until tomorrow or Friday...but I do have a question about those bands because I have never had experience with a Hifiman IRL...

With the headband, do you adjust it prior to putting it onto your head, or do you put it on your head and it simply adjusts itself? 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,199 of 8,051
  My M1060's won't be here until tomorrow or Friday...but I do have a question about those bands because I have never had experience with a Hifiman IRL...

With the headband, do you adjust it prior to putting it onto your head, or do you put it on your head and it simply adjusts itself? 

You really have to adjust the 400i band off your head; it has about a half dozen perforated settings and the adjuster snaps up and down into them. (Unlike the Fidelio X2 which uses a self-adjusting one size-fits-all headband that works well, at least for me.) It's barely possible to adjust the 400i while wearing it, but it's really hard to do so accurately. The 400S and 560 appear to use the same exact band. I haven't seen the M1060 in person, but from pictures and DMS3's unboxing video, the headband looks like, and appears to adjust in the same manner, as the 400i.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #1,200 of 8,051

I've just recently found out how important it is to have a DAC and AMP if you really want to get into higher-end audio. So...I can understand if that's the case. Had I not asked several people about their thoughts on the M1060, I'd be trying to run them with an E10K. (Which is apparently do-able but going to be pretty lackluster) 

I ended up purchasing a Magni 2 and Modi 2 Schiit stack along with the M1060's. Really exciting. 

I believe you are going to LOVE the combo! I have owned a Magni (original) for many years now. It has always been a great little amp, and it can drive so many headphones! I recently picked up a Modi Multibit, and sadly haven't used it much. The weather in Philadelphia has been crazy warm, and I don't want to be inside when it is this nice out. I like it a lot, but I also want to compare it to a Creative Soundblaster X7 with Sparkos upgraded op amps. On the surface the sound is extremely similar, but I have not done ANY critical listening yet. That combo gets you a great setup, and you have to spend a good bit more to actually get an upgrade of note. My Magni sits unused currently, as I have moved way up the chain for an amp. It really allowed me to not worry about minor amp improvements and just jump directly to "End Game" headphone amp. Much happier I did it this way, and not incremental jumps to eventually end up where I am. I wish I could say the same for my headphone collection, but at least they give drastic sonic differences and are more useful long term. I have 3 sets of cans I need to sell, but soon 5 I will have a use for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back