Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #918 of 8,051
  Why not buy a pair of closed headphones if you need closed? Buying open backed headphones with the intention to mod them into closed back is not a good idea.

Because unmodded = not worth listening to, that simple 
o2smile.gif

And anyway it's only a matter of time before Nick N. will order one and pimp the hell out of it, he certainly won't resist much longer eh 
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #920 of 8,051

OK thanks, and going closed can't work? If you cover both cups sides bass and SS disappear?

ugh, dont do this please :)  Just covering the backs with my hands turns these to beats. bassy, flat mids and even duller highs. Get closed cans. These arent bad for letting sound in, but if its leaking sound out your concerned with they are loud.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #921 of 8,051
I ordered through monoprice directly. I tried to cancel over the weekend but couldn't because the office was closed. So I called this morning to try to cancel, but was told that the order was already sent to the wearhouse. Apparently once it makes it to the warehouse it can't be cancelled.

My order had not yet shipped, and I called them as soon as they opened at 6AM PST

I received the same response. It's fine at the end of the day. I'll give them a try. There's really not a lot that can go wrong. If they find the MMCX is a big enough issue to revise them, they'll probably be willing to do a replacement down the road. If they aren't, if your headphones fail you'll probably get a proper replacement. I mean, we do get a 5 YEAR warranty. 

That being said, mine shipped today. Not sure where they're coming from. If it's from where they're based out of, it probably won't take long, even with standard shipping. I expect them to be here Friday/Saturday at the latest. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #922 of 8,051
  covering the backs with my hands turns these to beats. bassy, flat mids and even duller highs.

Interesting, HE400's bass disappeared with its sides covered. More bass, eh? Anyway, I'll wait for ortho ninjas to pimp it with felt screens and what-not but I want better connectors than bs MMCX anyway
popcorn.gif

Yet another fubar Onkyo MMCX connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262873102321 

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #923 of 8,051
Just got them this morning.  Out of the box here's my way too early impressions with the following gears:

DAC: IFI iDSD BlackLabel connected through IFI iUSB 3.0
AMP: Schiit Mjolnir 2 with Ifi 6922 tubes

So unlike @cute i don't have any adapters for MMCX so have to settle for using the stock cable and SE (gimped) output vs. the balanced of the MJ2.

The sound is surprisingly good.  good bass impact and extension, intimate mids, not recessed like EL8's that I had and sold.  good airy sound.  Cons, a bit harsh and rough overall in upper mid to highs, but I'm sure using balanced with better cables, audeze pads, and burn-in should tame it.  Also talking about "rough".  The metal grill is like a grater! took some of my skin with it already! gonna have to sand or file it round a bit!

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #924 of 8,051
Hi.

These headphones are hard to pass on. Could someone compare neutrality with the AKG K701? I want as little coloration as possible. And for now, the AKG does not quite fill the bill.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #925 of 8,051

Treble smoothing is the last thing these cans need! its already buried and dull.

Overall balance actually improves with Audeze Vegan Pads.  The treble smoothing is actually just less peaks and valleys, more cohesive.  

Hi.

These headphones are hard to pass on. Could someone compare neutrality with the AKG K701? I want as little coloration as possible. And for now, the AKG does not quite fill the bill.

These with a -3dB Low Shelf at 1500Hz is almost perfectly neutral.  No artificial detail or weird mids.  Look at the gallery pics, I posted the results earlier.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #927 of 8,051
Overall balance actually improves with Audeze Vegan Pads.  The treble smoothing is actually just less peaks and valleys, more cohesive.  

These with a -3dB Low Shelf at 1500Hz is almost perfectly neutral.  No artificial detail or weird mids.  Look at the gallery pics, I posted the results earlier.

That is a really impressive measurement for a $300 headphone (guess closer to $400 with a pad swap. Think I may order the vegan pads and never listen to the stock. Ignorance is bliss and I'm not a fan of leather/(ette) at all. I can listen for many hours in a row, and leather isn't comfortable long term for me.

How do they measure below 20hz? Not that I'll hear it, but headphones can themselves shake and create a feeling of better bass.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #929 of 8,051
  there's a 25% coupon discount on purchases above 300$ at monoprice site now, but of course the 1060 are 299....
ANND I'm being asked 60$ for shipping fees to Italy. Not fair :frowning2:

You cannot use any Monoprice discount codes on either the M1060 or the M560.  They are clearly excluded from the discount and will be probably be for the foreseeable future.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #930 of 8,051
  there's a 25% coupon discount on purchases above 300$ at monoprice site now, but of course the 1060 are 299....
ANND I'm being asked 60$ for shipping fees to Italy. Not fair :frowning2:

I don't know if they would ship to Italy unfortunately, but these are available on Jet, Newegg, and Rakuten also now.  Jets TRIPLE15 works on them and for the people in the USA that don't get taxed it'll be a pretty good deal.  It's unfortunate that all my friends in the EU get such a large import and tax fee sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back