Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #901 of 8,051
  Almost forgot, would one of you kind people that already picked up the M1060 mind showing me a decently close picture of the cable?  If there's already a good pic of it and I didn't notice, my apologies.  Kind of curious if I can get a rough idea of the kind of quality they went for.

If you click on view all images in the upper right hand corner of the screen there's a couple close up photos. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #903 of 8,051

Actually, turns out a highly recommended cable crafter on Etsy can make the necessary cable.  They have a few different types of IEM cables they can custom make, and MMCX & XLR is a viable combination.  I've heard nothing but good about their work so far, so I'd probably go this route:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/247025988/custom-infinity-series-iem-cable?ref=shop_home_active_3

Whoa this is awesome! Thanks for that! These cables look amazing quality!

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #905 of 8,051
  There are a ton of balanced MMCX cables with decent pricing on aliexpress.com.

Honestly, VE might be able to get one made for a decent price too.  At least I hope Lee would consider it.

@harpo1 Thankya.  The jack looks exactly like one I've seen on a few high quality earbuds, so that could be promising.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #906 of 8,051
  Just got an email that they cancelled my order for no reason, and want me to re-buy it with Pay With Amazon. I was really hoping it would ship out today, not be cancelled. 
confused_face(1).gif

"Thank you for choosing Monoprice. Unfortunately, we are unable to move forward with this order and have issued a refund back to the original form of payment. If the items are still needed, as an additional security measure, please replace the order and select Pay With Amazon in the shopping cart screen. There you will be able to use your Amazon login to pay for your Monoprice order. We apologize for any inconvenience."

I never had a Monoprice order cancelled, but had a somewhat similar experience. On one small order (I've never made a Monoprice order for more than $10-12).they would not accept the debit card they have happily accepted before and since but required me to use Pay With Amazon, which worked. No idea why since I had far more than enough funds for the order.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #907 of 8,051
Just got these 10 minutes ago!  They a quite nice for the $299 price.  Using my Mussete DAC and speaker taps from my Denon AVR, but have two tube amps I will be trying a little later.

Going through my test tracks now, and I made cable adapters so I can use my aftermarket Audeze cables, haven't tried the stock cable and probably won't.  I believe in cable "rolling", to find personal preferences.

Sound is spacious, imaging and separation very good, bass tight and fast, very similar to my LCD 2.2.  Bass right out of the box has a little less decay than the LCD, and HE-6, but it hits nice and hard.  Detail is great, but good cables really make a difference there.  More comfortable than both the LCD 2.2 and HE-6, much lighter weight!

I have DHC Fusion, Peptide Pure silver. Moon Black Dragon and Kimber Axios, all work with adapters on my HD800, HE-6, LCD 2.2 and M1060, so I am hearing these probably at their best, really no complaints against the other headphones so far.....they compete very well!

I don't like the MMCX connectors at all, with the weight of my aftermarket cables and adapter they can unsnap very easily.  Another negative is the sharp edges on the grill covers.

These are certainly better than I expected, sound is clean and smooth, at least with the cable I am using now, but I need to do some burn in before commenting any further!

I think others are going to like them!

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #908 of 8,051
  Just got these 10 minutes ago!  They a quite nice for the $299 price.  Using my Mussete DAC and speaker taps from my Denon AVR, but have two tube amps I will be trying a little later.

Going through my test tracks now, and I made cable adapters so I can use my aftermarket Audeze cables, haven't tried the stock cable and probably won't.  I believe in cable "rolling", to find personal preferences.

Sound is spacious, imaging and separation very good, bass tight and fast, very similar to my LCD 2.2.  Bass right out of the box has a little less decay than the LCD, and HE-6, but it hits nice and hard.  Detail is great, but good cables really make a difference there.  More comfortable than both the LCD 2.2 and HE-6, much lighter weight!

I have DHC Fusion, Peptide Pure silver. Moon Black Dragon and Kimber Axios, all work with adapters on my HD800, HE-6, LCD 2.2 and M1060, so I am hearing these probably at their best, really no complaints against the other headphones so far.....they compete very well!

I don't like the MMCX connectors at all, with the weight of my aftermarket cables and adapter they can unsnap very easily.  Another negative is the sharp edges on the grill covers.

These are certainly better than I expected, sound is clean and smooth, at least with the cable I am using now, but I need to do some burn in before commenting any further!

Only got to borrow a LCD 2 for a couple weeks and loved the bass on them.  I don't know if you have any experience with the headphone, but do you think these might be a good replacement for the Hifiman HE-400?  I haven't had one in about a year and I do miss it quite a bit at times.  I know the LCD 2 was a phenomenal step up for that kind of sound from the HE-400.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #911 of 8,051
  How's the isolation from outside noise please? Computer fans for instance?

I'd assume the only isolation is to turn them up.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #912 of 8,051

I'm surprised that people are happy with the measurements. To Me it looks there is something very wrong with the headphones. There is a lot of ringing especially that 5khz is just insane.

Originally Posted by cskippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's called an ortho wall and isn't like traditional ringing of a dynamic driver.  The effect is mostly benign and has to due with the tension the diaphragm is set too.  Think of it like a snare drum.  You can make it loose so that it is tuned lower and is very thumpy, or tensioned higher and makes more of a crack.  There is the initial transient spike and then nearly inaudible ringing as it settles back to a stop. 

@cskippy thanks for clearing that out for me. Did some reading on the subject. Weird how I have managed to miss the concept of ortho wall even though I have red quite a bit on orthos and modded a few too. Happy to learn new things
beerchug.gif

Unfortunate thing is that now I'm quite interested in buying m1060 :p Normally planars are not my cup of tea but we'll see...

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #913 of 8,051
Well I had to order these. For $312 shipped, these are just too good to pass up. I will not take my Hifiman Edition X V2 outside the house for fear of theft. These I think will be pretty decent out of my LG V20, which has a pretty darn good DAC/Amp in it. I wasn't crazy about the LCD2 at a recent meet, but those conditions aren't always the best. I am finding that I really love planar sound, and a second set with a different tuning will be welcome. I plan on burning them in for about a week before listening. 

The reviews are just about what I thought they would be. Essentially the LCD2 sound for half/third the price. Also I will mod them if needed to increase the SQ and or Functionality. Thank you to everyone who has posted their opinions on them so far. The frequency plots have been very helpful in my decision. Now I am excited, and living on the East Coast is a bad thing when ordering from Monoprice (But a benefit with Massdrop!). 

B&H photo has the black Vegan pads (Micro-suede) for $65. I want to give these a shot stock for a bit, but upgrading the pads is something I see myself doing in the future. 

Edit: there were 65 or so left after my order (ordered 500 and the total left comes up). 

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #914 of 8,051

Do you mean the decay is slower or faster than the LCD and HE-6. I'm all about tack sharp quickness(at the expense of some artificial-ness) while others prefer "natural" decay. Your wording here is ambiguous based on how you define decay. So is the bass quicker or slower?

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #915 of 8,051
  How's the isolation from outside noise please? Computer fans for instance?

they are open so isolation sucks. With no music I hear almost no difference on or off beside a teeny bit muffling of my own voice.

That said, with the music on at a reasonable level its not that big of a deal even though I can hear my typing and sniffling. Busy electronic music drowns out almost all external sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back