Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #676 of 8,051
  COMPARISON TO LCD2 IMAGES

I pulled out my LCD2s and took some images side by side.  It is clear Monoprice was trying for similar headphones to the LCD2.

I find it interesing how much more of the driver is blocked/covered on the 1060 than the LCD2. That could turn out to be a mistake... and a potential mod point if someone wanted to open up the holes.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #677 of 8,051
  Thanks for your initial impressions and nice photos, tgaguirre! 

How comfortable are these headphones? And how long is the cable?

I'm also a little disappointed the ear pads are not removable, but if the stock ones are comfortable, the glued-on pads may not be a big deal.

I wonder if anyone can compare the build quality and sound quality between the M560 and the M1060.

1. Really comfortable! More so than my HD600's The fake leather is super soft and they are light.
2. Pads are removable, just peel off the glue :wink:\
3. Build seems solid. I think the 560 were a little better though. left connector cuts out so these are defective. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #679 of 8,051
  You compared them 
You also at one point mentioned the HE-400S - did you compare to them as well? If I already have focus pads on the HE-400S do you think theyre a worthwhile upgrade?

Possibly might be worth an upgrade.  They definitely have a different sound than the HE400S and have a brighter more open and airier sound probably because of the larger cups and drivers.  They are closer to the Audeze LCD series.

It depends on what type of sound you like.  You should try them out if you can.

I think build quality is probably better on both Hifiman and Audeze.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #680 of 8,051
  COMPARISON TO LCD2

After some more sound analysis, I pulled out my LCD2 and compared it side by side with the M1060.

The M1060s clearly are made to emulate the feel and size of the LCD2, (much more than the Hifiman's) although the build quality may not be quite in the same league as the Audeze.

However, sound wise they both have similar power requirements as they are driven to similar sound levels at the same volume level.

The sound stage is similar, in fact the M1060 may be slightly better and has a slightly more open feeling.

After analyzing similar tracks on each, the bass level is actually not far off from each other.  My initial impression was that the LCD2 bass was much better but now that I heard them side by side they are not that far off.  The M1060 may be just a bit boomier and not quite as tight but still sounds very good.

The M1060 once again seemed a tad brighter which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on your listening likes.

Overall, I'm liking the sound of these headphones better than the build quality.

Unfortunately, I don't have a measuring rig but I am looking forward to someone posting some FR graphs.

I will let these burn in more today and see how i feel about the sound later.  If I have more impressions I will post them.

I'm a little premature on this since I haven't got mine yet but I can't help think that the fake wood grain could be replaced with real veneer. That should increase the value by at least $100.00 & kill the warranty.
darthsmile.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #681 of 8,051
  1. Really comfortable! More so than my HD600's The fake leather is super soft and they are light.
2. Pads are removable, just peel off the glue :wink:\
3. Build seems solid. I think the 560 were a little better though. left connector cuts out so these are defective. 

Did you remove the pads?  And were you able to put them back on or do you have to re-apply glue?

If you did this, do you have any pictures?  I'm afraid to remove the glue on mine and not be able to put them back together but I would like to see what it looks like behind the pads.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #682 of 8,051
I think it was meant as a joke. You can remove the pads, so they are removable, but only once :) But you can't reattach them.
Did you remove the pads?  And were you able to put them back on or do you have to re-apply glue?

If you did this, do you have any pictures?  I'm afraid to remove the glue on mine and not be able to put them back together but I would like to see what it looks like behind the pads.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #683 of 8,051

No, it's actually not, being that the comparison is being made of fresh non-burned-in 1060 vs. burned in LCD2. It's a flawed comparison to draw conclusions from at this point. Your implication that the original comparison is invalid is premature.

Given the change in the 560s (and most headphones really), drawing conclusions based upon fresh out of the box cans isn't valid.

Once someone has 60-100 hours of burn-in, THEN valid comparisons using the same source and amp can be made.

If all headphone assessments and impressions were performed out of the box, there woul be  a hella lot more returned headphones across the entire cost spectrum.

I realize that conclusion jumping is an Olympic sport when it comes to consumer electronics, but sheesh... false start!

Initial impressions are welcome, but drawing conclusions from them is a mistake.

I agree.  I posted my initial impressions but the headphones need some time to burn in and then we can make better comparisons.

In fact, once I compared them side by side with the LCD2s my impressions of the sound quality (in particular the bass) became more favorable of them. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #684 of 8,051
  Right on, I understand. 

So yes, the left connector on mine is also loose. cuts out if I move the right way.

Ah cool so it's just a QC thing. Do you/anyone have a way to check if its the cans or the connector?

I don't have extra cables I'm pretty scrub. :frowning2: These are my only cans now, returns the 400i's for these :p

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #685 of 8,051
OK, luckily someone already posted some rough photos of a teardown so I dont need to :wink:

Impressions:

Build quality is pretty decent. Not flimsy. Wood finish is just ok. Part was not sanded fine enough so its kind of rough. Metal is laser cut and unfinished on the edges so they are a  bit rough and will scratch things when placed on a surface. Very cozy to wear! Pads are super soft and memory foam is luscious.Great light feel for all day listening. Like another owner, My Left connector seems defective though. it cuts out if I move just the right way. Pliers may fix it if you pinch the connector a bit. Ill check.

Initial sound is pretty nice. Fairly flat sounding with subdued bass and warm highs. Really nice mids. Someone said they are bright but I tossed on my Grado's sr2e and had to giggle because they are much brighter and almost harsh compared to the 1060's. They are really fast and detailed however the sound as a whole seems buried and not as up front and in your face as my Grados. I find myself reaching into the headphones a bit to hear them. I have plenty of power to drive them so its not an amp issue. They really come to life with a little bass bump in the EQ. They are pretty spacious sounding but no more than my HD600's, Grado 125's or even the SE535 iem. They are not bad at all but Im not blown away. 

Worth $300? Sure, If you have no other cans in the price range.I think there are some better options with dynamic drivers. If these fail to impress in a few days Im replacing them with Grado sr325's which did  impress on first listen.

This is just based on 15 minutes or so of listening. Im going to let them burn-in for a few hours and get more time on them before making a more qualified judgement.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #688 of 8,051

Heck no.Someone else did a few pages back though.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #690 of 8,051
A sample size of 3 is too small to determine anything though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back