Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 24, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #513 of 8,051
   Right but maybe indirectly?

I don't think so. Everyone still has to be realistic with these. I think they can sidestep the marketing hubbub of audeze and compete around the LCD-2, maybe. Now them taking on the $3k flagship hifiman? I don't think so. They're $300, if they get within a spitting distance of the LCD-2 that's already a huge accomplishment. Asking for anything more than that is asking for disappointment

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #514 of 8,051
Noob question, but will the E10K power these, or would I need a serious amp? 

Additionally, anybody know of any promo codes in checkout? 

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #515 of 8,051
I don't think so. Everyone still has to be realistic with these. I think they can sidestep the marketing hubbub of audeze and compete around the LCD-2, maybe. Now them taking on the $3k flagship hifiman? I don't think so. They're $300, if they get within a spitting distance of the LCD-2 that's already a huge accomplishment. Asking for anything more than that is asking for disappointment

Wise man. At the price differential vs LCD-2, it's already an incredible value if it's even close. You can hope and dream above that, but keep your expectations realistic :)

I've been eyeing these for several months, and I sure don't NEED more headphones! But like the HD6XX, they were such a good value I had to jump on.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #516 of 8,051
E10k is right at the bottom of the recommendation at 200mw so not the best choice but should be able to play it just not at optimum. Might want to get some reviews on how efficient they are. I will check them on my e7k just to see.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #517 of 8,051
Noob question, but will the E10K power these,...?

Yes, but you might have trouble with the input power requirements and finding a compatible sound card.

Additionally, anybody know of any promo codes in checkout? 

If you are brave enough to wait, Monoprice occasionally runs site-wide as well as more specific promos announced to email subscribers. The last one was 15% off on Sunday (19 Feb 2017).

Another option is to look out for the M1060 to be added to their Amazon store.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #518 of 8,051
  Your going to need to wait for impressions.  It says 200mw to 4W optimal power, and 10W for 200ms maximum power handling.  

Just looked up specs on the Pioneer XDP-100r thing and it puts out 75mw at 32 Ohms.  No way will that work.

Thanks.

Vali 2 does look like it'd cover it, so what's the advantage of say a jotunheim which is in the upper range of the m1060 is listed as being capable of?

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #519 of 8,051

Yes, but you might have trouble with the input power requirements and finding a compatible sound card.
If you are brave enough to wait, Monoprice occasionally runs site-wide as well as more specific promos announced to email subscribers. The last one was 15% off on Sunday (19 Feb 2017).

Since the M560's were released, every Monoprice "site-wide" discount code I checked has excluded the M560 headphones. I assume the same will hold true for the M1060's too. Just a guess...

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #520 of 8,051
  Thanks.

Vali 2 does look like it'd cover it, so what's the advantage of say a jotunheim which is in the upper range of the m1060 is listed as being capable of?

Choose Vali 2 or Lyr 2 if you want to stay single ended(TRS) and are interested in toobz.  Get Jot if you want balanced drive, and balanced pre outs.  Jot is like a razor, not forgiving but also not bright or too aggressive.  Vali 2 is slightly laidback and can be changed to suit tastes with different tubes.

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #521 of 8,051
E10k is right at the bottom of the recommendation at 200mw so not the best choice but should be able to play it just not at optimum. Might want to get some reviews on how efficient they are. I will check them on my e7k just to see.

Does not at the optimum mean I won't be able to get the best sound, or that I won't be able to get the full volume? I'm really new to this kind of stuff. 

I'm curious as to how the bass will be on these phones. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #522 of 8,051
  If these are as good as the reviewer on their site claims, I would be messing my shorts if I was Audeze or Hifiman. TBH it really doesn't matter for me, the factory tour video Audeze did lost my business for them and Hifiman has done the same with the Edition 6 and the 3 bad 400i's I have gotten. I just hope these are good so there is a new planar to take their places. Mr. Speakers is good, but has always been overpriced IMO.

You just reminded me, the cable was defective on my new 400i! I tried it on my four audio sources just to be sure it wasn't one of my receivers or amps. I had to move the cable around to get both drivers to work.
 This stuff reminds me of the old AMC Gremlin. AMC had GREAT customer service but owners got tired of taking one day off each week to get their new car repaired. Where is AMC now???
 I am not in a very good position to buy the M-1060's right now but I decided to pop for a set just in case that "prices subject to change" becomes reality.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #523 of 8,051

YOURE A GENIUS! I didn't even look at that thanks for the catch! I rushed through checkout so fast because i was so spooked theyd sell out before i hit the order button. I would NEVER miss something like that normally :c

I sent an email and ill poke chat support at 6am to change it to saturday, thank you so muchhh brehhh

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #524 of 8,051

Since the M560's were released, every Monoprice "site-wide" discount code I checked has excluded the M560 headphones. I assume the same will hold true for the M1060's too. Just a guess...

In case anyone is wondering, today's "site wide" discount excludes the M560 and M1060.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back