Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #6,286 of 8,051
I really dislike the 2.5mm connector. I think Tyll put it well when he mentioned if it get banged up, you're **** out of luck. It's not sturdy, and this is in addition to the number of connection and disconnection cycles before the spring degrades.

I hope Monoprice works on better connector types.
While I also don't like the 2.5mm jacks there seems to be many that like them since its easy to connect and disconnect, I think its one reason that Hifiman changed over to them from the SMC which I like better since the connection is secure. If Monoprice changed over to how the 2.5mm jack is implemented on the HD700 is would be a more secure connection but also harder to detach/attach the cables. I like the mini-XLR that Audeze and ZMF use since it secure and easy to attach/detach but they take up a lot more space within the cups and I think it would increase the cost if doing it like Audeze since it they were positioned straight down the jacks/wires will likely be rubbing on one shoulders a lot.

What are you guys on about? It has 3.5mm connectors, not 2.5mm, and they're perfectly fine.
The connectors to the ear cups are 2.5mm

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #6,287 of 8,051
What cracks me up about the Monoprice's is that the 560's cups/gimbal system feels 10x better constructed than the more expensive 1060's. However, I really dislike the headband system on the 560's though. Can't get enough clamping force from them. I'm going to somehow try to mount them on another headband assembly.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #6,288 of 8,051
Jay-Z's 4:44 sounds phenomenal on the M1060 (Audeze lambskin pads and fuzzor mod). Rap is one of my least favorite genres, but this album is a work of art, and the M1060 brings it to life.

Jay-Z.png

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #6,289 of 8,051
M560 pad question:
Has anyone had success finding pads with larger openings for the M560s? I mostly see posts of folks using the Shure pads as alternative to the stock ones. I tried the Shures but found them still too small, too cushy, too hot, and I also found that they didn't sound as good as the stock pads because they moved the drivers further away from the ear. I also own the M1060s and HiFiMan 400i and appreciate the generous pads openings on those headphones. I like the oval openings of the M1060s and the comfort of the HiFiMan pleather/velour combo.

I have taken the time to measure and 3-D print extra plastic mounting plates for pads, complete with the positioning pins. The inside opening is a bit larger on the new plates than on the stock ones to accommodate a larger pad. (The outside diameter remains the same.) I then affixed four coin-sized magnets to the plates in the proper location to match the magnets in the headphones. Then I simply used double sided tape to attach the pads to the plates. The plates work great. Now I just need to do some pad rolling.

I don't want to give up on the M560s. I like the open/closed feature. It's the only closed can I have and would like to make it work. I also think the magnetic pad plates are a great feature, and now that I have the plates in CAD, I can easily print additional sets to use for swapping additional pads.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #6,290 of 8,051
This thread has surely groooooown! Not sure anyone remembers me the Hamster who created the Frankenstein HE400-M1060 about 150 pages earlier, I stopped following the thread since early July and wow, look at where we are now. Took me 3 days to catch up and I read every posts. The last time I read so much was back in the days in dental school, lol.:k701smile::k701smile::k701smile:

Let me thank @PockyG and @VRacer-111 (and the guy who helped out PockyG) for pushing the mods of M1060 to the realm of 3D printing. For those of us who are willing to go a bit further to improve our precious M1060, you guys are priceless. For those who are not willing to mod their headphones - M1060 is great in its own way stock. No point to prove who or what is more superior here.

I also came across some interesting posts saying M1060 needs triple amplifications vs. a Macbook pro is more than enough to power the M1060; and a seasoned unfriendly raccoon defining M1060 is superior than HD800/800s. I have not heard HD800/800s but I know each of their own. Just find those comments amusing, that's all. Welcome to Head-fi, I guess.

To summarize what I have learned from the past 150-ish pages:
0.1. @cskippy 's Classic Audeze vegan pads (to get rid of 5k ringing) and 3 inch TP sandwiched between back foam and grill (to bring back the treble which got lost by pad swapping).
1. Fuzzor mod with Creatology felts at the driver openings to reduce the 5k ringing. (I need to remember who started this, please enlighten me.)
2. 3D printed Fazor to bring up crisp mids and highs from its rolled off stock form. (@PockyG !)
3. 3D printed back grills to reduce sonic reflections from the stock metal grill. (Honeycomb and big Monoprice logo forms are both so cool!) (@VRacer-111 !)
4. Foam and grills delete - No grills, no reflections. Scary to leave the drivers exposed though.
5. Seemingly rarity of Audeze Vegan pads made others sought for Brainwavz velour / XL / Eikon / ZMF sheepskin / Aliexpress sheep skin etc.
6. A few small pieces of Creatology felt in the inner portion of earpads will reduce the 5k ringing and reduces sonic reflections within the earpads.
7. Did I miss anything?

Let's talk about my mods here, I got a pair of first batch Ref 2, did not discover any 5k ringing, yet I proceeded with the followings:
1. Frankenstein HE400 styled headband modules which I bought from Taobao China for about 40USD. (reversible to stock.) This makes my M1060 seems like a big pillow and I get zero fatigue regardless how long i listen them to.
"Link to Taobao He400 styled headband"
2. Taobao sheepskin earpads costing 30USD. I suspect it is the same OEM as the one who is selling on Aliexpress for 41.85USD as they are eerily similar. It reduces the driver to ear distance and increases comfort drastically although stock pads are far from to be described as uncomfortable. SQ wise I thought they sound more or less the same as when you slightly press the phones inwards although there was no chance for me to do any proper AB testing. I ditched the idea of velour/vegan pads because I have briefly tried OEM AKG velour pads and didn't like how it mellowed out the bass (planar bass, I NEED YOU!)
"Link to Taobao sheepskin"
"Link to Aliexpress sheepskin"
3. Removal of back foam while covering up the drivers with TP - $0 . During my slow and ineffective AB testing this makes the phones slightly less veiled (no i did NOT find M1060 as a pair of veiled phones stock to begin with) but at the same time adding very oh-so slightly a (pleasantly) reverb-ish effect. It creates a sense of space and roomy feeling. I suspect this is due to sonic reflection from the grills and I am very super ultra curious of what 3D printed back grill and front and back fazor can bring to these phones.
If i were to ask the creators to send me a pair to this part of Asia which I live in, the shipping will be ridiculous I suspect. So what I will do is to dig up a local 3D printing service provider and get those fazors up in my phones!

Cant wait to try out the fazors! Thank you so much for the thread contributors, I love you guys.

Truly,
Hamster
25348336_10155031393200009_8311133335451148706_n.jpg

(Pardon my language, English as second language after Hamsterish. Hope I managed to get my points across.)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #6,291 of 8,051
I just got a smsl sap II pro, a bit overkill for the m1060 in terms of ohms, but I noticed that it was little more harsh in the upper midrange due to the amp change, so the harshness people seem to be hearing might be from their amp.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #6,292 of 8,051
5. Seemingly rarity of Audeze Vegan pads made others sought for Brainwavz velour / XL / Eiker / ZMF sheepskin / Aliexpress sheep skin etc.
Sorry for the double post but the ZMF Eikon pads using the ZMF Sued fabric is probably the closest thing to the Audeze vegan pads.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #6,293 of 8,051
I just got a smsl sap II pro, a bit overkill for the m1060 in terms of ohms, but I noticed that it was little more harsh in the upper midrange due to the amp change, so the harshness people seem to be hearing might be from their amp.

That is often the case. Sources, DACs and amplification all matter. That's what's so fun . . . and frustrating at times. I am using an XDuoo XD-05 with the M1060s. I did not think the xDuoo would be up to the task of driving those planars but I have been pleasantly surprised. Thought I'd have to move up into the next level of dac/amps. However, the maddening thing now is that I am so impressed with this little dac/amp result, that I must move up to hear what else can be accomplished with the M1060s!

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #6,294 of 8,051
What cracks me up about the Monoprice's is that the 560's cups/gimbal system feels 10x better constructed than the more expensive 1060's. However, I really dislike the headband system on the 560's though. Can't get enough clamping force from them. I'm going to somehow try to mount them on another headband assembly.

Please let us know how it turns out. I haven't given up on the M560s yet. A headband mod could make them actually portable (despite their weight).

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,296 of 8,051
I saw the mod list earlier on this thread for the M1060s, and would like to know if this is the correct adhesive felt. Thanks!:o2smile: Can't wait to open my new M1060s and Schiit Fulla 2 for Christmas! also, can somebody recommend the first mods I should do first please? Thanks!

That's exactly the stuff I used. My opinion 1/ear-side fuzzor mod 2/inside pad fuzzor strips 3/ 3" paper towel mod

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #6,297 of 8,051
describe a "Fuzzor strip". I get the idea of the fuzzor mod and understand that, but not a "fuzzor strip"
(Edit): also, I saw someone substitute the foam behind the pads for a sheer material, like the fabric used in panty-hoes. has anyone else heard of this?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #6,298 of 8,051
I'm also considering purchasing a 3D printer for my birthday, which is in a couple months. Hopefully i'll be able to experiment with multiple plastic fazor designs, and also grilles, because a lot of people said that some of the issues are coming from reflections off the metal grill.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6,299 of 8,051
a strip, about 1/2" wide and 2-3" long, that runs from the bottom of the pad, along the front of the pad, and along the top of the pad. No need really to do behind where your ear is. It's just to absorb some reflections inside the pad, when using non-velour (stock, lambskin, leather) pads. Easy to take out if you don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back