Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 10, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #6,256 of 8,051
By HD650, I think you mean Sennheiser's HD650. If so, then M1060 is easier to drive than HD650 on my Gustard H10.
Both were measured to output 90dB with .13mW power input. Hifiman HE560 on the other hand needs many more times power, 2.53mW.

HD650 is 300ohms nominal, and M1060 is 50ohm flat. Both have same efficency, and get to 90dB with the same amount of power.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #6,259 of 8,051
People saying it is rolled off or veiled must have different headphones then I got.... I don't know how consistent they are unit to unit but I can hear up to a little over 18k and these don't sound rolled off or veiled to me at all.

I agree with you, especially, when compared with HD650. I do not mean HD650 is badly veiled, but I feel that M1060 is more open and more sparkling.

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #6,261 of 8,051
I forgot to mention I am sensitive to highs.
So out of the 4XX and M1060 which would be better for that.

I own both. I didn't like either stock I put Vegans and paper towel on my M1060 and I put focus pads, shelf liner, and TP on my HE4XX. The HE4XX is brighter with less bass. If you are sensitive to treble/sibilance probably stay away from the HE4XX. If you love bass, the M1060 is probably a better bet.

See my quoted post from 4 pages ago.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #6,263 of 8,051
I don't want to mess with mods so would the m1060s stock be good for me?
Also that didn't make a lot of sense are you saying the the m1060s are better in both lows and highs?

TL;DR version:
1. Probably.
2. Yes, if you don't like lots of treble and like bass.

Long explanation:
I have a mid range sensitivity so the M1060 stock was a no go for me. I also HATE pleather. If forward mids (possibly harsh according me and some others) and pleather don't bother you, you'll be fine. Also, if you don't like the way they sound you can always return them. Monoprice has a very good return policy.

The bass on the M1060 is much better than the HE4XX both in volume and extension. The highs are much more mellow on the M1060. Some called it "veiled" but if you are treble sensitive you will probably like that much better than the HE4XX. Whether the M1060's treble is "better" or not is personal preference. I like crisp treble as long as it's not excessively sibilant which is why the HE4XX has a place in my cellection. So, of course, YMMV. But based on what I understand are your listening preferences, the M1060 is a better option for you than the HE4XX.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #6,264 of 8,051
TL;DR version:
1. Probably.
2. Yes, if you don't like lots of treble and like bass.

Long explanation:
I have a mid range sensitivity so the M1060 stock was a no go for me. I also HATE pleather. If forward mids (possibly harsh according me and some others) and pleather don't bother you, you'll be fine. Also, if you don't like the way they sound you can always return them. Monoprice has a very good return policy.

The bass on the M1060 is much better than the HE4XX both in volume and extension. The highs are much more mellow on the M1060. Some called it "veiled" but if you are treble sensitive you will probably like that much better than the HE4XX. Whether the M1060's treble is "better" or not is personal preference. I like crisp treble as long as it's not excessively sibilant which is why the HE4XX has a place in my cellection. So, of course, YMMV. But based on what I understand are your listening preferences, the M1060 is a better option for you than the HE4XX.
That makes sense thanks.

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #6,265 of 8,051
Long explanation:
My feelings exactly on the 1060.

@Ron Swanson Monoprice is a good company, and since you are in the US, you aren't even taking a risk since you can easily return them. My 4XX haven't arrived yet, but I say go for the 1060, even though it wasn't perfect for me. I loved the treble and bass of them. The only issue I had that made them intolerable was in the upper midrange or presence frequencies, where I've had issues with other models too that people seemed to rave about. You won't be missing out on anything in that price range if you do end up liking them, and if you don't, then send them back within 30 days for a full refund.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #6,266 of 8,051

@Ron Swanson Monoprice is a good company, and since you are in the US, you aren't even taking a risk since you can easily return them. My 4XX haven't arrived yet, but I say go for the 1060, even though it wasn't perfect for me. I loved the treble and bass of them. The only issue I had that made them intolerable was in the upper midrange or presence frequencies, where I've had issues with other models too that people seemed to rave about. You won't be missing out on anything in that price range if you do end up liking them, and if you don't, then send them back within 30 days for a full refund.

Curious to what other headphones you had issues with the upper mids?

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #6,267 of 8,051
Curious to what other headphones you had issues with the upper mids?

Shure SE535, and a few other IEMs I've auditioned. Can't think of the over ears. I've lost track of what I've auditioned now. My SE425 with certain music, but that's more lower treble. May be a bit higher with the 535 as well. Seems like 5-7k really bother me if there's any harshness or peaks. Just sounds annoying. My 215 don't bother me, and they have peaks at 4 and 8. Not entirely sure it is the peaks though that bother me, since the HD800S have a peak in that range and those sound heavenly to me. The M1060 really sounded like I was listening through tin cans or something. Maybe they had a problem, I don't know.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #6,268 of 8,051

Thanks for the advice and next time there is a sale I will pull the trigger on the m1060

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6,269 of 8,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back