Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #5,941 of 8,052
Don't know whether to be appreciative of the contributors to this thread or pissed. Since this thread has peaked my interest into headphones and created a crater in my wallet.

I have almost next to no knowledge, when it comes to headgear. My initial interest into the M1060s came from my acquisition of a pristine pair of Carver ALS III. Made me feel like I wasted decades on dynamic drivers.

Just completed a 35 hr. break in. The stock sound was a bit fatiguing, in the higher registers (not to be equated with the dreaded ringing that others have had). So I tried a few of the less expensive mods: the paper towel mod (between the driver and the foam) and added a .75" trim of premium felt to the deepest recess of the stock pad walls. So far very happy, the highs have toned down just enough.

Ques:
I may have missed it (in this gargantuan thread), but is there a reason why owners are shying away from using a graphic equalizer, with a built in spectrum analyzer ?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,942 of 8,052
I have had this mounting thing all wrong. I have not tried it yet, but my thought for the fazor/waveguide was to cover the driver side with double stick tape and slot out the openings. This was assuming that the bottom of the wave guide actually contacts the driver frame. Then mount the ring, with the max surface area available. Then put the pads on. To change pads, leave everything in place and remove/reinstall the pads.
I had wondered about what others are doing, I guess it is way different from what I had envisioned.. I checked a while back...actually I have read every post in the thread, but did not see anyone document what they were doing.

I have a few sets of these now from both of the very nice folks that made them. I suppose I can just play with it, but it would be nice to have a starting point.
BTW, one of the versions is a one piece design. I think that was early on.

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,944 of 8,052
Got the ZMF Suede Eikon and Ori pads in today. In the next week I'll try them out on the 1060 and see how they compare to the Vegan pads.

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #5,945 of 8,052
Got the ZMF Suede Eikon and Ori pads in today. In the next week I'll try them out on the 1060 and see how they compare to the Vegan pads.
I'm really curious about the Suede pads. Looking forward to your impressions!

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #5,948 of 8,052
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #5,951 of 8,052
Don't know whether to be appreciative of the contributors to this thread or pissed. Since this thread has peaked my interest into headphones and created a crater in my wallet.

I have almost next to no knowledge, when it comes to headgear. My initial interest into the M1060s came from my acquisition of a pristine pair of Carver ALS III. Made me feel like I wasted decades on dynamic drivers.

Just completed a 35 hr. break in. The stock sound was a bit fatiguing, in the higher registers (not to be equated with the dreaded ringing that others have had). So I tried a few of the less expensive mods: the paper towel mod (between the driver and the foam) and added a .75" trim of premium felt to the deepest recess of the stock pad walls. So far very happy, the highs have toned down just enough.

Ques:
I may have missed it (in this gargantuan thread), but is there a reason why owners are shying away from using a graphic equalizer, with a built in spectrum analyzer ?

Been on this thread since the beginning and wondered the same thing. Maybe nobody's heard of this stuff or there is an inate desire to "improve" a headphone that took considerable time and money to develop. I use vintage equipment with a treble, mid-range, and bass adjustment. Between my amplifier & perhaps switching out ear pads, if it doesn't sound good, I move on.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #5,952 of 8,052
For me personally, it's always been about finding great value. I'd rather buy something for 50 dollars and modify it if it can be as good as something as good as $100 with a $5 mod. I also love to tinker and make stuff. I'd rather have a Lego set or Gunpla model than a premade toy.

Not to say that modding the M1060 makes it a $600 headphone but for me it's more about the trip than the destination. I could have bought a LCD2 and be done. But it was more fun for me to buy these, join this thread, try out some mods posted, buy a 3D printer, share more mods with everyone and see how people enjoyed them.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #5,954 of 8,052
For me personally, it's always been about finding great value. I'd rather buy something for 50 dollars and modify it if it can be as good as something as good as $100 with a $5 mod. I also love to tinker and make stuff. I'd rather have a Lego set or Gunpla model than a premade toy.

Not to say that modding the M1060 makes it a $600 headphone but for me it's more about the trip than the destination. I could have bought a LCD2 and be done. But it was more fun for me to buy these, join this thread, try out some mods posted, buy a 3D printer, share more mods with everyone and see how people enjoyed them.
I like your thinking and its what I've been doing with alternative drivers for Grado like builds, the only problem is the parts end up costing more than the M1060, LOL

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #5,955 of 8,052
Just to let you all know, the M1060 scales up with better sources, and actually does out perform the HD800s. This world is so upside down when something like 800s at it's high echelon pricing can't compete with a $300 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back