Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,936 of 8,051
  I agree with you. It's insane they get away with that for some earpads.

If the M1060's continue to sell well, Audeze might need to raise the prices on their earpads in an attempt to salvage some profit from the Monoprice modders, who will also be to blame for a big dip on their much more profitable headphone sales.  

[RANT]
I don't wish Audeze any ill will, but the absurd pricing bubble in hi-fi needs to be popped.  Companies like Audeze are certainly free to pursue greedy multiples in their profit margins but companies like them must have sensed awhile ago that some form of reckoning was nigh, as competition heats up and consumers get better educated about their options.

I'm probably like a few others here too that feel a little dirty knowing that Monoprice are supreme reverse-engineering (ripoff) artists, but I'm happy to see them challenge the status quo and push pricing to be a little bit more honest.  For instance, imagine how much iPhones/smartphones would be selling for if Google hadn't been "inspired" by iOS to produce Android...  if you think prices are high now, I can't imagine what they might've been otherwise.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,937 of 8,051
  I ordered hand made pads from Vesper Audio for my Koss ESP-950. They were more than $65. The audeze pads are also hand made. I doubt you will get anywhere near the quality of materials and workmanship from a $20 knock-off.  

This is where you fell for marketing. You can get a yard of good Micro Suede for $8 retail. It's not some magical Audeze patented material. Their leather is handcrafted, but nowhere does it say the pads are hand stitched or hand made. The leather isn't graded either, but I doubt it wouldn't be of good quality.

It is very much possible to make a manufactured pad with near the same specs and quality for a much lower price. It just needs a willing participant to bring to the market. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,938 of 8,051

well **** me, it seems my problems have been solved, now I just have to find vegan pads. Anybody have a good source? Last I checked they were sold out.

BHPhoto sells the black ones for $65.

I think when you see the 'Request Stock Alert' button at BH, they are out of stock.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,939 of 8,051
The stock pads really are pretty good IMO for stock pads. They are comfortable. I tend to prefer velour to keep things cooler, but its not like the pleathers are bad quality at all. Yeah, if the sound signature improves, that's good but they sound good to me stock.

When Audeze charges $200 bucks for a suspension headband, it is not at all shocking to me that their pads are also terribly overpriced.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,940 of 8,051
  I agree with you. It's insane they get away with that for some earpads.

Same just it its insane for sennheiser to charge $99 for replacement earpads for my HD700.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,941 of 8,051
I'll only say this once, and it's just my position but people used to do the same thing for HD650 replacement pads.  Stock genuine replacement pads are ~$53 on Amazon.  People don't want to pay that much and buy the Brainwavz pads of their choosing.  I've tried three of the Brainwavz pads and they are nice pads but they ALL screw up the frequency response.  

Think of a pad as the room in which your speakers are located.  People who are used to speakers know that the room is the most important thing to get right.  $300 speakers in a properly set up and treated room will wipe the floor off of $3,000 speakers in an untreated/poorly set up room.  

The Audeze pads at $65 is nothing to scoff at.  I actually paid $80 from Audeze.  I don't mind.  I think of it as part of the headphone purchase.  ~$400 for a headphone that competes with $1000 seems a lot more reasonable now huh?

But by all means, if you want to buy $20 earpads then go ahead.  Just don't expect the same results.  

Pads that I tried below.  Brainwavz pads perform closest to Hifiman Pleather (not good)

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,942 of 8,051
  @cskippy
How about 1060 compared to HD650 and how about it paired with Valhalla 2?
Thanks

So I had a listen to the Valhalla 2 with the M1060.  Surprisingly not bad!  Compared to Jot, there isn't as much impact or clarity, transients aren't as snappy.  There is a better sound stage depth and 3D presentation with Valhalla 2.  Sounds seem to float in space better instead of placed across a curved wall.  Bass doesn't hit as hard but that's to be expected.  If you want a more speaker like presentation and enjoy tubes, Valhalla 2 is a great choice and works quite well with M1060.  

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,944 of 8,051
  I'll only say this once, and it's just my position but people used to do the same thing for HD650 replacement pads.  Stock genuine replacement pads are ~$53 on Amazon.  People don't want to pay that much and buy the Brainwavz pads of their choosing.  I've tried three of the Brainwavz pads and they are nice pads but they ALL screw up the frequency response.  

Weren't the Brainwavz pads meant for the HM5 though? That's different.

I'm talking about getting a pad made specifically for the M1060 that is similar in shape and material to the Vegan.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,945 of 8,051
Yes.  All Monoprice has to do is switch from the pleather material to velour or microsuede and the problem would be solved.  I bet it would actually perform better than the Audeze pads.  

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,946 of 8,051
  Yes.  All Monoprice has to do is switch from the pleather material to velour or microsuede and the problem would be solved.  I bet it would actually perform better than the Audeze pads.  

Doesn't pleather tend to add to bass response? Maybe they wanted them to have a slightly more bassy sound. Typically I think velour cleans up the bass/impact slightly.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,947 of 8,051

MONOPRICE TAKE NOTE. YOU CAN DO THIS!

CRUSH AUDEZE AND THEIR SUPER HIGH MARK UPS LIKE YOU DID WITH THESE HEADPHONES!!!!!

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,949 of 8,051
Hey, thanks for your description, which was very helpful for me. I do own the Fidelio X2 and the T50rpmkIII for music and gaming. I do prefer the X2s for gaming and the Fostex for music. On my upgrade list are the Beyerdynamic DT1770 or 1990 pros. Now I am wondering, if the M1060 could be an cheaper alternative for me than the DT1990s. Could you please post your subjective opinion in a few days, if you prefer the X2s or the M1060 as gaming/allrounder cans? How big is the sonical difference between these two? Would the M1060 be an upgrade or a sidegrade for me?

Hi,
I definitely prefer the M1060 for gaming and music over the X2, or any other headphone I have. You can hear all the subtle details around you in the game and explosions and shots are something you don't just hear but feel (shock waves hitting your ear). The speed, tightness and punch of M1060 driver significantly adds to the realism and X2 just does not have that tight punch despite its good bass and clarity. The M1060 has replaced my X2 as a daily driver and I would call it all-rounder. X2, however, is better in build, comfort and slightly with vocals. not sure if the vocals part is due to the driver not going through the burn in process, but it sounded slightly recessed and veiled compared to the X2 superb vocals. still excellent though.
I am waiting for my Modhouse Argon (modded T50RP MKII) which has excellent reviews for both music and gaming. I will see if it has an edge over what I have and being sealed and comfortable is a plus.
one more thing, M1060 leak sound like no other headphone. I don't mind it personally since I am only using it on my home desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back