Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #108 of 624
My impulsive purchase of the LS is turning out pretty good. I am enjoying it as a small little amp to use at work. I had previously had a SMSL VMV VA2 and a Schiit Magni 2 at work but sold both and just stuck with my Onkyo DP-S1 DAP for work use. After using just that and then using it plugged into the LS, the warm, rich, and smooth sound was very audibly apparent. It makes the Onkyo, which uses dual ESS chain, sound very lean in comparison.

I have been primarily listening to it using the Audeze Sine headphones since they are my closed backs of choice for work, but did also try using them with the BGVP DMG and currently trying it out with the Focal Elex. I am really enjoying this change of pace sound from my usual fare of the Onkyo DAP and the Topping DX7, which to me, share the same sound profile with the DX7 having significantly more power/headroom.

I had built the Starving Student Tube Hybrid to pair with the DX7 as a way to smooth out the sound for the HE560/Elex I have but this Liquid Spark is doing a heck of a job so far for $100. I have the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid downstairs but haven’t listened to them side-by-side yet. Maybe that’s my next thing to do this weekend.

I did notice that the Spark was pretty treble harsh out of the box but I don’t notice that anymore at all after letting it warm up for a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #109 of 624
IMG_20181012_142058_915.jpg

Budget Multi-IO Desktop Stack
  • Littlebear One
  • Monolith Cavalli Liquid Spark
  • Fiio Q1 Mk2 (DAC mode)

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #111 of 624
@MrPretty that's hilarious! :D They did something similar to me about a year ago with the MP30 in-ear headphones, except they apparently didn't catch it and I had to contact them to get the excess sent back to them. This is even more extreme! :joy:

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #113 of 624
Also in terms of sound I'm hearing a lot of static or buzzing noise on my amp. I had the same problem with the Cavalli tube hybrid and it's not just random it's the same parts of songs (most parts unfortunately) so I need to figure out what the deal is. I thought it was a faulty tube in the hybrid, but since this is a solid state it can't be that. Is anyone else hearing it?

Since they sent me multiple amps, I've tried two of them with the same static sound. Using a monoprice dac....maybe it's the rca cable? But the fact that it can be reproduced makes me think it's the amp, but theres no way its suppose to sound like this

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #114 of 624
Damn, mine came in today but I only got one ! So far listened to Zappa Zoot Allures, Apostrophe, Alice In Chains Rainier fog and Uncle Acid Wasteland.
All 16bit flac mimby>spark>HD6xx ... wonderful little amp so far could easily demand much more for it. I am in love with valhalla 2 and have been addicted to it since may with mimby and 600/6xx and spark is no slouch in comparison. I have not detected any buzzing or weirdness at all. I can't detect any channel imbalance or static from the volume either. It's being fed from a Saga as I have my valhalla 2 in the other output, I figured i'd do a comparison later after it broke in. I have Saga volume maxed out and I have mimby/oppo 103/lounge audio phono preamp as inputs only time I get any noise is when its on the phono stage which is just hiss. My digital sources have no noise at all with spark volume maxed. I'm using BJ cables nothing fancy.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #115 of 624
Also in terms of sound I'm hearing a lot of static or buzzing noise on my amp. I had the same problem with the Cavalli tube hybrid and it's not just random it's the same parts of songs (most parts unfortunately) so I need to figure out what the deal is. I thought it was a faulty tube in the hybrid, but since this is a solid state it can't be that. Is anyone else hearing it?

Since they sent me multiple amps, I've tried two of them with the same static sound. Using a monoprice dac....maybe it's the rca cable? But the fact that it can be reproduced makes me think it's the amp, but theres no way its suppose to sound like this

Well you have 13 extra amps to try.... :)

I do not have any static issues with mine. Could be your cable or if it's bad part of a specific song, are you sure your recording is not just bad?

I use monoprice RCA cables (the really thick short ones). I have not had issues on either my MCTH or the LS.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #116 of 624
Well you have 13 extra amps to try.... :)

I do not have any static issues with mine. Could be your cable or if it's bad part of a specific song, are you sure your recording is not just bad?

I use monoprice RCA cables (the really thick short ones). I have not had issues on either my MCTH or the LS.

haha I don't want to run through all of them trying, since it's been the same problem on three I'm going to guess the issue is something else.

And yea I'm going to buy a new cable I guess. Yea, the recording is fine, I'm using spotify extreme and have listened to the tracks many times on other amps, so I'm not sure. I sold my cht because of the static and now it's there again on the spark, but no one else having the issue with it, so I guess it has to be the cable

edit: just ordered a shorter rca cable like you mentioned off amazon, will try that. Might be it because my other amp is an amp/dac all in one so it doesn't use the cable

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #117 of 624

Have you tried bypassing the DAC and just plugging the amp straight into the PC, just to rule out the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back