Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #31 of 624
Id love to know how this guy plays with the auteur. I have an eikon id love love to use this with from time to time and i want to make sure id not be holding it back in any way by doing so. I already use my eikon through the amp of my M9XX and im plenty happy with it. I figure this is likely in a similar league but with a warmer tilt, though youre the one with the amp.
It plays really well with the auteur. I am using that as one of the main headphones in my review, so you can count on my observations applying there.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 624
@Hansotek Dave - great flood of very very well written reviews! (as always... :wink:)

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #34 of 624
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #35 of 624
I heard a prototype of the Liquid Spark at an event at The Source AV a while back and I really liked it. I especially remember the punchy bass for such a small amp. I didn't need a portable amp at that time so I mentally shelved it, but now that it's morphed into a small desktop amp I'll probably buy one. I remember that the prototype sounded really good with the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #37 of 624
I liked the review so much that I'll buy one of these. I don't know where I'll put it, but I'll find a place for it somewhere. Maybe it'll tone down the harshness I have with the hugo 2.
Yeah - I do not need yet another amp, but for $99 - I will get it for sure!
This is the ideal price point for "I do not need it, but will buy it anyhow" :wink:

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #38 of 624
Yeah - I do not need yet another amp, but for $99 - I will get it for sure!
This is the ideal price point for "I do not need it, but will buy it anyhow" :wink:

I’m 100% in the same camp, lol!

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #39 of 624
Great review. How's the pairing with your Senn HD600?

If they play well together what a great sounding starter combo the Spark and 6XX could be...

Really, really good with 300 ohm headphones like the Sennheiser and the ZMF dynamics. I agree, that is an awesome starter combo.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #40 of 624
I heard a prototype of the Liquid Spark at an event at The Source AV a while back and I really liked it. I especially remember the punchy bass for such a small amp. I didn't need a portable amp at that time so I mentally shelved it, but now that it's morphed into a small desktop amp I'll probably buy one. I remember that the prototype sounded really good with the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Yeah, the AEON and Cascade both work very well with it. Combined with the chilled out mids, punchy bass and small size, I loved it for a small desktop amp at work. Doesn’t get in the way. Perfect sound for background tunes. Great synergy with my favorite office headphones.

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #41 of 624
Really, really good with 300 ohm headphones like the Sennheiser and the ZMF dynamics. I agree, that is an awesome starter combo.

Always a good sign when an amp can pair well with both hard-to-drive planars and high impedance cans. At least for those of us who want to keep our amp collections to a minimum.

I'll be interested to compare the Spark with the amp section of the iDSD Micro BL (which has an analog input...)

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #42 of 624
I have a Liquid Spark in house now for review. This is a completely new unit so it's not burned in at all. That means no comments for a while.

I'll also give it a go with a linear power supply (which nobody should even be considering for a $99 amp, but I have one that'll work so I have to try it!).

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #45 of 624
What dac would be recommended for something like this?

Whatever you want. I used it with a pretty wide variety of DACs: iFi xDSD & iDSD Black Label, Shanling M0, Fiio X5 III, Hugo 2, Yggy... and I guess the AK380, if you count the prototype stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back