Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 624
@Hansotek buddy, you got all the new toys!!! :angry: (could not find a green-with-jealousy face... but angry with jealousy would do...)
My favorite relatively inexpensive solid state is the Gilmore Lite Mk2 (granted it cost 4-5 times). Would love comparison to it, if you got one...
A comparison to Massdrop's LCX should be obvious IMHO (despite costing 2-3 times more), being a Cavalli SS design as well.
TBH, I do not need yet another amp, but for $100 if it's half as good as you portray it - I will get one (besides, since when "need" play any role in this hobby?!).

He already did a review of the Gilmore Lite MK2 http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0818/HeadAmp_Gilmore_Lite_Mk2_Amplifier_Review.htm

Sep 4, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 624
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 624
Cool, so hopefully @Hansotek can compare them (despite the price difference).

I still have it. They are actually pretty complimentary of one another, as the Gilmore Lite is very neutral and solid state sounding and the Liquid Spark is more warm and tubey sounding.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 624
I still have it. They are actually pretty complimentary of one another, as the Gilmore Lite is very neutral and solid state sounding and the Liquid Spark is more warm and tubey sounding.
Sigh. Guess I HAVE to buy the Liquid Spark now... Assuming Monoprice actually sell it during my life time... :angry:

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 624

You mean like this one? :wink:

I’m reviewing it, but if there’s is anything you want to ask, by all means, go ahead.

It’s hard not to talk about this amp without it sounding like hyperbole. Not going to mince words here though, this is the best sounding $99 amp I have ever heard. Not by a little bit either. By A LOT. I’ve heard every Cavalli amp from these last two generations, and while it’s not the most resolving or spacious or whatever of the bunch by any stretch of the imagination, it is, in my opinion, the most impressive. The fact that this amp sounds this good at $99 is downright laughable.

The Spark has real big boy amp bass, not tiny little amp bulls*** bass. It hits HARD. It also has that very special trademark Cavalli midrange presentation - very evocative... turns the music into an experience.
How is the gain? Low enough for use with iems?

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 624
You mean like this one? :wink:

I’m reviewing it, but if there’s is anything you want to ask, by all means, go ahead.

It’s hard not to talk about this amp without it sounding like hyperbole. Not going to mince words here though, this is the best sounding $99 amp I have ever heard. Not by a little bit either. By A LOT. I’ve heard every Cavalli amp from these last two generations, and while it’s not the most resolving or spacious or whatever of the bunch by any stretch of the imagination, it is, in my opinion, the most impressive. The fact that this amp sounds this good at $99 is downright laughable.

The Spark has real big boy amp bass, not tiny little amp bulls*** bass. It hits HARD. It also has that very special trademark Cavalli midrange presentation - very evocative... turns the music into an experience.

059974259de4282da7119611d4784993.gif

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 624
@Hansotek - Dave, I will definitely be looking forward to your full review and detailed comparisons to Gilmore Lite Mk2 (and others).
From the photo, I guess I recognize Cascade being used? Which other cans have you tried it with? Do you have AEONs, HEXv2, and/or Ether Flow?

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 624
How is the gain? Low enough for use with iems?

Yes. I can run the notoriously sensitive Andromeda on it and background is only barely noticeable until you turn it way up (with no music playing). You can’t hear it with music playing until you’re at ear-splitting levels that you really should not be listening at. The Westone W60s are closer to normal sensitivity-wise and you can’t hear the background at all (even over silence) until you get to really unlistenable levels on the volume dial.

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 624
@Hansotek - Dave, I will definitely be looking forward to your full review and detailed comparisons to Gilmore Lite Mk2 (and others).
From the photo, I guess I recognize Cascade being used? Which other cans have you tried it with? Do you have AEONs, HEXv2, and/or Ether Flow?

Cascade, Atticus, Auteur, HD600, HD800, HE500, ÆON Flow Open, Andromeda, W60, Vega... I also heard the original portable version with the HE1000 on several occasions- this one sounds the same and has higher voltage rails, so it should be as good or better.

When I first heard it with the HE1000 at RMAF a couple of years ago, I was absolutely blown away. I told Alex it would be funny if he put the amp in a huge chassis and had people listen to it and then opened up the chassis to show this little tiny amplifier inside. It has a big, lively stage and big, full bass, which little amps never have, so it would definitely fool a lot of people.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 624
Cascade, Atticus, Auteur, HD600, HD800, HE500, ÆON Flow Open, Andromeda, W60, Vega... I also heard the original portable version with the HE1000 on several occasions- this one sounds the same and has higher voltage rails, so it should be as good or better.
Oh - forgot Atticus and HD600... Great, several of my favorite cans are listed, so your review should be very relevant for me!!!
When do you expect to release the full review? I cannot wait... :wink:

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #26 of 624
Oh - forgot Atticus and HD600... Great, several of my favorite cans are listed, so your review should be very relevant for me!!!
When do you expect to release the full review? I cannot wait... :wink:

Hopefully the end of this month. Worst case, end of next month. I've got to get the Liquid Platinum review and the Cayin HA300 out the door, as well.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #28 of 624
Just purchased a Magni 3 for a more in-depth comparison, for those who were looking.
Me too. Can’t wait for your ‘thoughts’. :sunglasses:

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #29 of 624
Monoprice is seriously taking their time with this release

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #30 of 624

When I first heard it with the HE1000 at RMAF a couple of years ago, I was absolutely blown away. I told Alex it would be funny if he put the amp in a huge chassis and had people listen to it and then opened up the chassis to show this little tiny amplifier inside. It has a big, lively stage and big, full bass, which little amps never have, so it would definitely fool a lot of people.
Id love to know how this guy plays with the auteur. I have an eikon id love love to use this with from time to time and i want to make sure id not be holding it back in any way by doing so. I already use my eikon through the amp of my M9XX and im plenty happy with it. I figure this is likely in a similar league but with a warmer tilt, though youre the one with the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back