1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by ufospls2, Apr 4, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last
  1. Roscoeiii
    Feel this will be an upgrade over the iDSD Micro BL amp section? Or how would those compare?

2. Hansotek
    I didn’t compare them from a technical standpoint, though I really should have in retrospect. I would say the Spark is warmer - probably closer overall to the iDSD’s sound with the bass boost on than off. The Spark has a much better midrange & overall musicality. The iDSD’s amp always kinda leaves me wanting on non-IEMs. Spark does not. Mids On iDSD BL amp are slightly wonky and unnatural as headphones get more demanding, IMO. The Black Label amp is quieter w/ built-in IEMatch.

The DAC on the Black Label is a great match for the Spark- that ended up being my go-to setup: iDSD BL -> Spark-> Cascade. That DAC is a monster on that little thing. Probably my favorite sub $600 DAC. Sweet chip. First 6 bits R2R. Does MQA and DSD. Love the warm, impactful balance on it. Great naturalness. Amp is pretty good - definitely capable and dead quiet - but the DAC makes it one of my favorite mid-priced pieces.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    rayliam80 likes this.
  3. thanks4alltheFish
    Thanks for the reply...this was helpful

4. sahmen
    The ETA of the Liquid Spark is 10/14/2018, i.e. less than 2 weeks from now. i wonder how long it's been there, and whether it will recede like that of the Liquid Platinum... I hope not.

5. thanks4alltheFish
    What do you mean by recede? Are there issues with the Liquid Platinum, or do they just sell out quickly?

6. sahmen
    I mean that the Liquid Platinum's ETA date keeps getting postponed. Now it has moved to 11/2/2018, after repeatedly jumping from one October '18 ETA date to another.

7. thanks4alltheFish
    Ah, I see. I'm with you then, hopefully we see it hit* the shelves in a couple weeks.

8. Luckbad
    I've been using the Liquid Spark for a few days now and it's an excellent little amp. At $99 it's a no-brainer.

It still isn't 100% broken in (still under 100 hours), but it's been an outstanding piece of kit.

I did decide to check it out with a linear power supply and things are slightly better, but it's not the type of amp that absolutely begs for one.

I'll do more critical listening soon since the break-in period is almost over.

One surprise to me is that its low volume balance isn't wildly terrible. Initially, I was going to recommend against it for sensitive IEMs simply because the volume at 9 o'clock is quite loud even with my customs (Future Sonics MG5 HX).

However, dropping the volume further doesn't start causing channel imbalance until well below where I'd expect, and it can get down to listenable volume.

That being said, I like a little more play in the volume and like to use either Harrison Labs RCA attenuators or my Garage1217 attenuator.

The noise floor is low enough that you don't really need the latter (or an iFi iEMatch, for example).

cskippy, rayliam80, Odin412 and 3 others like this.
  9. Roscoeiii
    Wow. All of the above I consider very encouraging!

10. Zachik
    With a statement like "At $99 it's a no-brainer" - I would say "encouraging" is an understatement... :wink:

11. sahmen
    This sounds cool! Very very very cool!

12. tim0chan
    But it runs warm and is a hot deal xD

sahmen likes this.
  13. Astonish
    These are in stock right now, just a heads up

Hansotek and kukkurovaca like this.
  14. Rattle
    Spark ordered ! now to save up for the platinum...

15. thanks4alltheFish
    Just picked one up. Should have it in a couple days.

Astonish likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last