Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
May 27, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #662 of 841
You can shelf EQ below 60Hz.
True, which sort of helps but I'd prefer not to boost 50 or above. I guess I'm just surprised at the lack of control at either end of the spectrum. Trying to figure out why they would choose to do this.

May 29, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #663 of 841
One thing that's a bit frustrating to me on this unit is where the eq starts and stops. It starts at 50hz so eqing below that isn't possible... sure if the q factor is really low it will extend a bit in both directions but the boost is still centered at 50hz. My hd600s feel like they need a boost below this. They already have a strong response at 50hz so adding to this just muddys up the sound.

If manufacturers report such crazy wide "useable" frequency response numbers like 5hz to 40hz or even just the usual 20hz to 20khz why not make the eq settings closer to the actual full fr? Is this some no no I'm missing? Aren't there many other built in eqs with a wider range or is this pretty typical? I know generally on software eqs you can go pretty wide, surely many basic ones will get down to like 32hz and some are whatever you choose. Seems like an odd decision on a well engineered unit that's made to show off excellent sq at the price..

err hd 600s have a strong response at 50hz?

May 30, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #664 of 841
Charts seem to vary a bit but under 50hz there's definitely a roll off. Luckily 50-60 is still a bit lower than flat anyway so the shelf eq seems to do ok so far, nothing bloated seeming. But it would be nice to have a bit more control I feel like. Like why not just extend out the frequencies you can eq a bit, if it's all in the audible range anyway?

May 30, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #665 of 841
Charts seem to vary a bit but under 50hz there's definitely a roll off. Luckily 50-60 is still a bit lower than flat anyway so the shelf eq seems to do ok so far, nothing bloated seeming. But it would be nice to have a bit more control I feel like. Like why not just extend out the frequencies you can eq a bit, if it's all in the audible range anyway?
Might be worthwhile to send an email to Monoprice this might be able to be altered with an update or an explanation given. If CS yields nothing, I know earlier in this thread near the beginning, a bunch of people were talking about communicating with various people on the project. There might be a lead there as well.

A firmware update would be nice if it would yield us more control. My only assumption is that they only have so much memory for the EQ and had to make some sacrifices somewhere.

The only thing that I want to note is that if a firmware update is pushed, we are likely going to have to rely on someone in this thread mentioning that they are running 1.05 because atleast when I got my unit 2-3 months ago, Monoprice still only had 1.03 as the latest version on their site whereas my unit is running 1.04.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #666 of 841
Also I probably shouldn't say strong but basically the roll off isn't as strong there as in the lower bass, so if you try to boost in that range at all - hoping to improve the sub bass - it gets muddy immediately I find.

May 30, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #667 of 841
Might be worthwhile to send an email to Monoprice this might be able to be altered with an update or an explanation given. If CS yields nothing, I know earlier in this thread near the beginning, a bunch of people were talking about communicating with various people on the project. There might be a lead there as well.

A firmware update would be nice if it would yield us more control. My only assumption is that they only have so much memory for the EQ and had to make some sacrifices somewhere.

The only thing that I want to note is that if a firmware update is pushed, we are likely going to have to rely on someone in this thread mentioning that they are running 1.05 because atleast when I got my unit 2-3 months ago, Monoprice still only had 1.03 as the latest version on their site whereas my unit is running 1.04.
True, good point. If nothing else could get an answer as to why.

Same with mine on the firmware, and I haven't been able to find out what exactly changed from 1.03 to 1.04, which is strangely still not posted on their site. Do you have any idea? I can always ask that as well though I'm not sure if I'll get any response especially how things are with support everywhere these days

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #668 of 841
Does anyone know if the preamp function is digitally done or through the analog volume pot?

Can I tell if I opened the amp and saw the wiring?

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #670 of 841
Digital volume control

Thanks!.
But how did you know? is there something I can look at to know if any unit is using a digital attenuation or analog one?

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #672 of 841
Because it has a digit-precise attenuation :) -0.00 dB, -10.00dB, you get the idea.

Wait, even the amp is digitally attenuated?!

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #674 of 841
IMG_20200620_010631.jpg

Ladies, gents, and all yall nonbinaries. I present the volume knob mod.

A bit of sticky rubber stuff leftover from some 3m rubber feet. Cut up and used so you can control the volume infinitely with one finger.

The rubber feet came in a square piece of rubber with the round feet bits punched out. I just used a bit of the excess and viola!

Ive been using this since close to day 1 and just realised I should share. The rubber feet are about 1inch to give you a sense of scale.

One of those small tweaks that make for a massive quality of life differences. Adjusting volume and navigating the menu is nowhere near as much of a chore.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #675 of 841
Wait, even the amp is digitally attenuated?!

All digital. Only one pot and it is definetly digital. It is an infinetly spinning stepped knob.
On my sensitive headphones I can even hear almost inaudibly quiet pops when adjusting volume sometimes. Not sure the methodology they are using though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back