Monoprice Monolith AMT Headphones
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #241 of 320
do you correct to harman target?
Yes I do, as I usually use Oratory1990 or AutoEQ as bases, then I tweak for my age and preferences. Looking at the FR of the Monoliths, and GL850, that flat region in upper mids / lower treble is rather evil. I made my own EQ based on charts, then I found the GL850 EQ on AutoEQ and I liked it. I also found out that Goldplanar uses that wonky mini-XLR wiring that Monoprice uses, so I guess we know who makes them. (The GL850 also shares the recessed XLR ports with the outer shell that the Monolith AMT have)

This is my current tweaked EQ:

Code:
Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 9.1 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 3385 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 1.42
Filter: ON PK Fc 965 Hz Gain -3.72 dB Q 0.92
Filter: ON PK Fc 76 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.33
Filter: ON PK Fc 8567 Hz Gain 4.1 dB Q 0.9351
Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 128 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 1.58
Filter: ON PK Fc 231 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 2.3
Filter: ON PK Fc 60 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 2.75
Filter: ON PK Fc 2167 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 5.43

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #243 of 320
If anyone is curious, here is the pricing shared with me by Vesper Audio when I asked for Monoprice AMT pads.:

Detailed pricing(in usd) is as follows:

Handcrafted custom earpads, all leather, all fleecy materials(vegan), or hybrid, not angled, black, regular foam, are $59/pair.

You can order standard or any custom thickness, angle, opening. You can choose any quoted material for any part of the pads.

Options we offer:

1. Real whole grain leather:
Black, emerald ink, grey, blue, dark blue, navy blue, red, coral, dark brown, beige, ivory, dark green - no extra
Any other color for whole grain real leather available as an extra $20 option
Real whole grain leather with not through perforation (black color only) - $3 extra
Through perforation on whole grain real leather (any quoted color) - $19 extra

2. Fleecy materials:
Alcantara - black, dark-blue, sandy brown - $8 extra
Perforated microsuede(dark brown) - no extra,
Black, brown, grey, blue, beige, red, burgundy, dark-green, pale lilac microsuede, - no extra
Real black suede (chamois) - $7 extra, brown - $20 extra
Velour - black, brown, grey, pastel green - no extra
Through perforation on fleecy materials (any quoted color) - $18 extra

3. Filling and shape options:
Aoustic foam - open pore - $3 extra
Memory foam - $4 extra
Closed pore memory foam (slower rebounding) - $14 extra
Natural latex(20, 25 mm. thick only) - $18 extra
Additional gel cooling - $9 extra (compatible with real leather on face contacting surface only, fleecy materials may be elsewhere)
Angled pads - $6 extra
Glasses grove - $15 extra
Horn like shape - $12 extra

4. Shipping
Air tracked mail - $16
EMS - $62

Please note, all prices are quoted for paypal payment. You may pay 7% less with USDT.
Production time is currently ~37 b. days. Please let us know if you are ready to proceed with payment (along with options and payment type of your choice) or if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #244 of 320
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #245 of 320
Stock tuning is bad as expected. Also wasn't liking the GL850 eq either... but then I remembered I'm not a fan of Harman tuning so turned down the bass shelf and now the headphone is much better than I gave it credit for. Not sure if it's a keeper yet considering I already have a He1000v2. It's a good sounding headphone but so far I am not hearing much difference in use of the AMT driver vs a planar. It's certainly a good choice if you can buy it at the $4xx sale price vs $1000+ headphones.

Reminds me heavily of the HE6SE v1 run off a quality amp with o1990's eq, but less issues that stick out to me.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #246 of 320
Are there any reviews that directly compare the sonics of the Monoprice AMT with the HEDDphone 2? It seems to me the HEDDphone needs to be very significantly sonically superior to the AMT to be able to justify the high $1999 cost. A little more comfort due to the lighter weight I don't think cuts it.

I've still not found anything. However, I did find an interesting very positive review of the HEDDPhone 2 on Headphone.com. This is at https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/heddphone-two-review-ive-never-been-so-excited-for-a-headphone .

This review was very positive with the major exception of complaining about a certain overbright hashy quality at the top end. Has anyone tried the HEDDphone 2 and noticed this (or not)? This would be somewhat of a deal breaker for me.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #248 of 320
All I know of is ZMF crescent snap
But that's not zippered

I tried out the ZMF Crescent Snap on these headphones. They fit, but only barely. Still, it's helpful for me. Without the snap, the headphones sat a tad too low on my head at the smallest setting. With the snap, I'm able to get it to the right position by moving both sides two clicks out.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #249 of 320
Someone on Reddit made a funny joke about the MP AMT in a review posting I did with pics

"Your headphones look like the HEDDphones mom says are at home." :D

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #250 of 320
Today I got a zippered cushion band for my AMT, and despite being meant for 1.85" wide headbands, the leather cushion on the band causes it to not fit. It IS however the perfect width, and I was upset that it wouldn't close. Then I remembered I have this pack of Velcro ties for managing cables, and the pack has 4 different sizes. The 2nd largest ones were the ideal size, and I kept the fabric side touching the leather. Now my AMT's fit perfectly on my head, and the 2 cups don't feel like they are hanging off my ears. I just needed 1 tick on one yoke to make it ideal.

Fortunately, I had 2 Black ones left in that size. Otherwise, it would have been purples. :)

AMT_cushion.jpg

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #251 of 320
Here are some pictures of the ZMF Crescent Snap on the Monolith AMT. You can see from the pictures that the snap only barely fit over the existing headband cushioning. In fact, there is a little tear in the fabric around the middle snap. Despite that, it does not feel like it will rip anymore, and is quite secure once in place.

1705002409290.jpeg

1705002471177.jpeg

1705002719590.jpeg

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #252 of 320
Yes I do, as I usually use Oratory1990 or AutoEQ as bases, then I tweak for my age and preferences. Looking at the FR of the Monoliths, and GL850, that flat region in upper mids / lower treble is rather evil. I made my own EQ based on charts, then I found the GL850 EQ on AutoEQ and I liked it. I also found out that Goldplanar uses that wonky mini-XLR wiring that Monoprice uses, so I guess we know who makes them. (The GL850 also shares the recessed XLR ports with the outer shell that the Monolith AMT have)

This is my current tweaked EQ:

Code:
Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 9.1 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 3385 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 1.42
Filter: ON PK Fc 965 Hz Gain -3.72 dB Q 0.92
Filter: ON PK Fc 76 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 0.33
Filter: ON PK Fc 8567 Hz Gain 4.1 dB Q 0.9351
Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 128 Hz Gain 0.8 dB Q 1.58
Filter: ON PK Fc 231 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 2.3
Filter: ON PK Fc 60 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 2.75
Filter: ON PK Fc 2167 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 5.43

Thanks, this headphone sure does sound horrible by default and this was a major transformation.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #253 of 320
how much of a gamble is it to RMA a pair that actually seems tuned well?
i RMA'd a pair last month and just had it refunded
but i got a pair (Amazon) that i thought sounded unbalanced but now seems fine but some other defects...and now the price is back up

so does anyone know how many of these are tuned well? last month's i only tried less than a day
but they did sound dark and wonked
the current pair is physically worse but sounds great (may or may not have un-balance since something maybe with my hearing and can't get second opinions currently)

is there someone who could test these to make sure they are functional
and even a shop who can custom fix them or mod them
if i RMA them i'm concerned they'll replace for one with bad tuning
what kind of audio expert or custom repairs am i looking for? maybe PM me

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #254 of 320
how much of a gamble is it to RMA a pair that actually seems tuned well?
i RMA'd a pair last month and just had it refunded
but i got a pair (Amazon) that i thought sounded unbalanced but now seems fine but some other defects...and now the price is back up

so does anyone know how many of these are tuned well? last month's i only tried less than a day
but they did sound dark and wonked
the current pair is physically worse but sounds great (may or may not have un-balance since something maybe with my hearing and can't get second opinions currently)

is there someone who could test these to make sure they are functional
and even a shop who can custom fix them or mod them
if i RMA them i'm concerned they'll replace for one with bad tuning
what kind of audio expert or custom repairs am i looking for? maybe PM me
Unless it's due to break in period
If these ones are more worn in than the first pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back