Monoprice Monolith AMT Headphones
Dec 30, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #226 of 320
Are there any reviews that directly compare the sonics of the Monoprice AMT with the HEDDphone 2? It seems to me the HEDDphone needs to be very significantly sonically superior to the AMT to be able to justify the high $1999 cost. A little more comfort due to the lighter weight I don't think cuts it.
There can't be many manufacturers of AMT ribbon drivers in this VVT configuration, so they're probably the same driver sourced from the same maker. Differences will be comfort and chassis/pad tuning. I don't know if the driver in the HEDD 2 is smaller. So yeah, the Monolith AMT is a great way to get into the AMT scene without selling any organs. And the non-standard XLR wiring is a non-issue these days since there are quite a few cable makers who sell M1570/AMT cables, and Monoprice has restocked their own. (EDIT, nope still OOS on mp.com)

Another bonus is that I now have a spare SE cable, since the M1570 has the same one.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #228 of 320
Got one during the sale. Unfortunately it smells like old cardboard from the packaging.

Considering how big these are they are still actually pretty comfortable. I can see the earpads/fit becoming an issue during the summer as my ears are pretty warm inside and the seal is strong (much like a well sealed closed back I can hear my own heartbeat)

Are AMT drivers affected by amplifier output impedance like dynamic drivers, or are they like planars without much change?

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #229 of 320
Are AMT drivers affected by amplifier output impedance like dynamic drivers, or are they like planars without much change?
Monoprice AMT headphones react differently to each amplifier. While more power yields more control and thus improved sound I was pleasantly surprised to find some of my poor performing amplifiers that are powerful to work very well for the money. Specifically the SMSL SP200 which usually produces a perceived ultra narrow sound stage which sounds great with Monoprice AMT. Likely because the Monoprice AMT doesn’t present a traditional perceived sound stage of common headphones to begin with.
Also, the Monoprice AMT sounds pretty good with every amplifier when equalized.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #230 of 320
So, when is it coming? :)
Got interrupted and then delayed. I loaned out most of my headphones. Perhaps some of those users will share impressions publicly but are not obligated. It’ll probably be a few more months until I have them in my possession again. But from memory of early impressions and a/b comparisons, AMT (macro+micro) dynamics and (micro) detail are beyond HE6se by a good margin and are in another class. In my very limited experience, both traits are as good as anything Ive heard, and its the only headphone Ive heard that is elite in both traits. Like many most headphones, Mono-AMT has serious tonal issues imo (upper mids to lower treble valley), but if youre willing to EQ then Mono-AMT is a beast. Though I do have some other issues with Mono-AMT so cant just recommend…

My latest review for some context on my pov and where I do make some comparisons to Mono-AMT.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #231 of 320
Got interrupted and then delayed. I loaned out most of my headphones. Perhaps some of those users will share impressions publicly but are not obligated. It’ll probably be a few more months until I have them in my possession again. But from memory of early impressions and a/b comparisons, AMT (macro+micro) dynamics and (micro) detail are beyond HE6se by a good margin and are in another class. In my very limited experience, both traits are as good as anything Ive heard, and its the only headphone Ive heard that is elite in both traits. Like many most headphones, Mono-AMT has serious tonal issues imo (upper mids to lower treble valley), but if youre willing to EQ then Mono-AMT is a beast. Though I do have some other issues with Mono-AMT so cant just recommend…

My latest review for some context on my pov and where I do make some comparisons to Mono-AMT.
mind listing a few of those issues?
if it's a usual enough problem that headphones have tonal issues in upper-mid//lower-treble, but Mono-AMT excels this much, i might consider it's worth testing out a bit more
if it really holds some place for something that other headphones don't (i've got lcd-xc, ananda, hd800s, elegia, porta-pro, and some iem, and a speaker monitors)

detail is one of the things i was going for
if i hold off on hd6xx or ZMF for vocals, and if maybe these are closed-like enough to use with a microphone (but maybe not enough power to live-feedback...)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #232 of 320
lcd-xc, HD800
Those Ive heard but HD800 was a diy 3DP mod which was basically installing HD800 drivers into HD600 enclosure. edit; Oh, and LCDX (2022) is the non-effed open-backed version, I have review somewhere.

From memory:

(Bass) Macrodynamics:
Mono-AMT > HE6se > LCD-X, HD800, HD650

(Bass) clarity / low distortion:
Mono-AMT, LCD-X, HE6se >>> HD800 > HD650

Microdetail:
Mono-AMT, LCD-X > HD800 > HE6se, HD650

Sound quality issues with Mono-AMT besides tone? Bass has a tiny bit of bloom, aka the sound of trapped air pressure. Happens with headphones that have zero front-side ventilation. Mono-AMT is barely noticeable in this regard but its there imo. I plan to mod or padroll (vent) later which could have effects on perceived sound qualities in both good and bad ways for achieving a set of personally preferred compromises. Ive tried acquiring sibling Gold Planar GL1200 pads (velour or perforated) but no luck. Will have to vent another way like using 3DP vented pad adapters.

The other caveat from easily recommending being weight. However, I find the comfort very good considering the weight, and much more comfy than Audeze’s setup.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #233 of 320
Ive tried acquiring sibling Gold Planar GL1200 pads (velour or perforated) but no luck. Will have to vent another way like using 3DP vented pad adapters.

If you can't find the pads you're looking for anywhere, you can always have some custom made by Vesper Audio. They will make them to whatever specs you want so you can have all or a section of the pads perforated. I've had them make me a few pairs over the years and they are always well made at a fair price. The only slight negative is that they can take a month or more to arrive.

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #235 of 320
AMT are sensitive to source device. With r2r dac + warm class-a amp, they're smooth like velvet. Highly musical tonality without eq, no issues with high mids. But yeah, with my ess acro ca1k dac/amp they can come off ice cold sharp.

20231230_183144.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #236 of 320
AMT are sensitive to source device. With r2r dac + warm class-a amp, they're smooth like velvet. Highly musical tonality without eq, no issues with high mids. But yeah, with my ess acro ca1k dac/amp they can come off ice cold sharp.

20231230_183144.jpg
Atom+ and xduoo ta03s OTL as pre-amp... Maybe? That what I tried.
Not sure how that compares.

Getting a qudelix portable

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #237 of 320
If you can't find the pads you're looking for anywhere, you can always have some custom made by Vesper Audio. They will make them to whatever specs you want so you can have all or a section of the pads perforated. I've had them make me a few pairs over the years and they are always well made at a fair price. The only slight negative is that they can take a month or more to arrive.
Ill contact them and update with quoted price(s) and whether I buy. I bet the cost will be more than I care to bear atm.

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #238 of 320

20231230_183144.jpg
SMSL M300 MKII DAC (AK4497) + Liquid Platinum with stock tubes, the Velvet Sound trademark of the AKM + the power, clarity, and the never harsh Cavalli sound make for a great pairing with the AMT, but they still need EQ correction. Once done, bliss. :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #239 of 320
Atom+ and xduoo ta03s OTL as pre-amp... Maybe? That what I tried.
Not sure how that compares.

Getting a qudelix portable
plugging qudelix into that could be fun with amt. qudelix alone won't make amt sing.

SMSL M300 MKII DAC (AK4497) + Liquid Platinum with stock tubes, the Velvet Sound trademark of the AKM + the power, clarity, and the never harsh Cavalli sound make for a great pairing with the AMT, but they still need EQ correction. Once done, bliss. :)
have heard amt through similar stack: smsl d300 (rohm chip) to lp with gold lions. it's great, no lie. besides bass boost for bassy music, haven't found the need to eq. amt doesn't sound broken. do you correct to harman target? i just find harman (and autoeq for that matter) generally becomes boring after listening for a while.

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #240 of 320
Ill contact them and update with quoted price(s) and whether I buy. I bet the cost will be more than I care to bear atm.

For the sets of pads I've had made the price ranged between like $50 and $90. I figure that's the range you're most likely looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back