ETA O2 headphone
Dec 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #61 of 79
We are similar. Two of my top three are HE6se V2's and Grado GH2's.
HE6sev2 I sold because it overlapped a lot with HE500 so felt redundant. From what Ive read, GH2 is the other bassy Grado like PS500e. What is your third favorite? Im just getting into Stax ethereal flavor to add to collection.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #62 of 79
HE6sev2 I sold because it overlapped a lot with HE500 so felt redundant. From what Ive read, GH2 is the other bassy Grado like PS500e. What is your third favorite? Im just getting into Stax ethereal flavor to add to collection.
My top three include the Focal Clear. They just work with everything. All genres and all amps. Great bass, great mids and as much treble as you need.

PS: Took the foam out of my HD660S2's and these may be joining my top tier. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #63 of 79
First impression: like Grado (F-pads) but with top notch bass. Nice.

Looks neater in person but let down by cheap feeling headband. Ill try installing Grado headband.

The pads are quite thinner than expected. Like Grado flat pads but ovalized.

Will do some full headphone comparisons later.

IMG_1542.jpeg
IMG_1547.jpeg
Do you find the headband uncomfortable or just flimsy?

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #65 of 79
Its sturdy and foldable, just not pretty. Comfort can be fixed with careful bending (internal is steel) but I avoided because not mine.
The looks and the folding feature wouldn't mean much to me as they would just be used at home.

A problem I have with my CFA Cascades is that I can't get a good tight fit due to their folding feature. You can bend the headband, but it won't stay tight. As long as it is not uncomfortable or too loose, the stock should be fine.
How hard was it to install the Grado headband? I am not a Mr. Fix-it.

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #66 of 79
How hard was it to install the Grado headband?
They just pop in. Pull away from cups to remove.

See here for a tutorial on how to trim Grado headband. You just snip off a bit of plastic to allow more clearance for O2's cups.
gimbals.jpg
Another option is to buy a "short" set from NYCZAJ.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #67 of 79
Added addendum to O2 impressions so as to clarify a few things.:

HE500 “transients” relative to O2 was meant to be only in respect to bass definition so had to clarify. Also reiterated that 500’s faster bass perception could be wholly an effect of frequency response and personal preference, other bias, etc.

And to highlight upstream being possibly responsible for impressions of frequency response. From iPhone dongle I thought O2 bass was just a hair too much and possibly intruded or diminished rest of freq response balance and causes perception of slightly slower bass. Nitpicky stuff.

=======

I would buy O2 if I didnt have PS500e and HE500, then I expect O2 would be my favorite headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #68 of 79
From memory of some headphones I currently own*.:

Macrodynamics.
ETA O2, Monoprice AMT > HFM HE500, Grado PS500e, Grado SR325e, Fostex T20RP(mod), 6X0 > Stax SR507, Grado RS2x

Microdynamics.
SR507, MonoAMT, RS2x > HE500, PS500e, O2, 6X0, T20RPmod > SR325e

Tonality (stock).
O2, HE500 > T20RP, PS500e, SR507, MonoAMT > RS2x, SR325e

Many more factors to perceived sound quality. And non-sound characteristics that effect personal value such as convenience.

Personal value irrespective of price.
T20RPmod > SR325e, PS500e, HE500 > SR507, MonoAMT, O2 > RS2x, 6X0

*Aside from tonality stock evaluation, Grado and HFM were padrolled.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #69 of 79
I forgot to include the mighty Koss Porta Pro in the list.:
Macro: bottom-tier
Micro: bottom-tier
Tonality (stock): top-tier

Porta Pro pads wear out quickly so new pads will sound more balanced than worn pads. Worn pads will sound too dark and warm. Even if used pads look to be in good shape, if you compare next to new pads they are probably not the exact same in dimensions. Fresh pads will still have defined edges and be thicker. Keep your PP pads fresh!

=====

When switching to Grado headband I accidentally mutilated the O2 stock headband o-rings so its effecting ease of rotation of cups with stock headband. Ill have to message ETA for help with parts replacement.

Update: Thank you Tom at ETA! o-rings
Rubber O-Rings 6.6mm OD 3mm ID 1.8mm Width

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #70 of 79
Just compared 800S to o2...800S sounded so tinny, distant and just lacking richness ..put o2 on and wow... music comes alive with engagement factor, full bass I can feel... puts me in the room with the musicians. This is just off my agd he9 and north star dac so no insane chain or anything and i get that 800S will shine more on a very good tube amp but i like the idea of a headphone that sounds amazing even on a basic ss amp and i think it sounds even better on bhc so the argument it doesnt change or scale at all i dont think is true for o2.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #71 of 79
Because Tom @ ETA is too kind and is worried about updates being perceived as spam, I will mention ETA’s newest headphone called Ada.

IMG_2194.jpeg

https://etaheadphones.com/products/ada

https://etaheadphones.com/blogs/eta-tuning-and-design/follow-the-sound

A new driver but with different aims so not taking over O2’s space.:

These features imbue Ada with the greatest sense of midrange immediacy and smoothest-integrated treble among our offerings to date.

20hz bass extension be damned!

Ordered! Apparently first batch ships mid-February.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #72 of 79
Ordered one as well, looking forward to it.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #74 of 79
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #75 of 79
Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back