adaportrait2.jpg

https://etaheadphones.com/products/ada
$350, expected to ship already.
Voice CoilCopper 16 Ohm
Diaphragm40mm 7 micron biocellulose dome with 5 micron ribbed PET suspension
Motor MagnetN52
Weight206 Grams
Sensitivity97dB/mW @ 1khz @ 16 ohms

Grado has a monopoly on the hi-fi supra-aural foam earpad headphone niche. A more recently created boutique company called ETA was persuaded to take aim at this niche since Grado has been the only outfit for a long time. Monopolies lead to inefficiencies, lack of innovation, and higher prices.

ETA supraaural headphones:
-> O2 impressions threads here and here.
-> Ada impressions thread is soon here and here.

O2 reminded me greatly of my Grado PS500e but I preferred PS500e, however Grado need to be padrolled (F-pads) to make sound remotely neutral, so stock vs stock O2 is much greater (imo obvi). Based on ETA's description Ada looks like a step in the right direction not to mention cheaper, from ETA website.:

These features imbue Ada with the greatest sense of midrange immediacy and smoothest-integrated treble among our offerings to date.

20hz bass extension be damned!

I am looking forward to Ada. Just waiting on shipping notice.:
1. Is performance constrained to meet some marketing strategy price point relative to O2?
2. Is it as ugly irl as in photos? I think O2 is much better looking.
3. Out of the many drivers ETA sampled, why this one?
4. How does it compare to Grado? Is it more 325e or more PS500e? I very much like both but the latter is more technically adept.

edit: add merv review link

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 50
That is one strange looking HP.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 50
That is one strange looking HP.
It is but Im guessing its all functional in some way. ETA describes design as “minimalist” but not sure that pertains to styling. For example, the driver capsule + magnet is tightly coupled against the enclosure while also creating the “world’s first back-loaded horn headphone”. No idea to the validity of the quoted claim but Im sure the design is not for aesthetic reasons. I mean, there are more stylish minimalist 3DP designs in the diy section here. Based on my experience with ETA and Grado products, I have much more faith in ETA tuning but much more like for Grado styling.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 50
It just seems to miss a back cover of some kind. Anyway, its sound that matters ... mostly.

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 50
It just seems to miss a back cover of some kind. Anyway, its sound that matters ... mostly.
Aesthetics are important but not most important.

I believe the subtraction of a standard back cover is in response to complaints about O2’s flexible back cover appearing as flimsy and fragile when it was actually fine. ETA designing within constraints of their 3DP manufacturing. ETA responding to criticisms in a relatively short span of time when compared to Grado’s glacial pace, an advantage of 3DP manufacturing.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 50
Anyone know ehich one of these was at canjam socal? (By the mimic audio table) I tried one of these and several of the sjy headphones and was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 50
Simply from a frequency response point I would probably prefer the 02. Some direct comparison will be interesting.

Perceived value is an individuals prerogative but it does look very 'home made'. A few adorning touches of tungsten steel, perhaps a metal cover and a different headband would probably do wonders even if the cost increases by a few dollars ... . Competition is super stiff these days and slick products from established manufacturers are available both below and slightly above ETA's choices even though their approach is more unique.

I know I am judging something without even having tried it and for which the developer has put many hours in. Typical forum you'd say. I apologise for that.

I wish ETA well.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 50
The hi-fi supra foam pad niche basically leaves two choices (for non diyers): Grado and ETA.
🙃
- choose your poison
- lesser of two evils
- giant douche or turd sandwich

Until Grado puts an RS2x level driver into an SR60 we are forced to pay for an RS2x. The difference in cost beteen an RS2x and SR60 driver I suspect might be single digit dollars. Grado adorns RS2x with wood cups to help justify to customer the difference in price. ETA has the capability to beat RS2x but for less.

Hopefully ETA can improve on their headband. Even a small touch could help, like ETA could replace some plastic bits with custom 3DP bits with ETA logo.

ETA O2 with Grado headband:
IMG_1656.jpeg

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 50
Oof. ETA changed status of Ada to “first run of 30 units shipping mid-March”. ETA retuning in response to Marv’s early sample review?
I will ask them on Discord to see if I can get a pair to try out.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 50
Oof. ETA changed status of Ada to “first run of 30 units shipping mid-March”. ETA retuning in response to Marv’s early sample review?
Is it for the new order or for all ?

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 50
The hi-fi supra foam pad niche basically leaves two choices (for non diyers): Grado and ETA.
🙃
- choose your poison
- lesser of two evils
- giant douche or turd sandwich

Until Grado puts an RS2x level driver into an SR60 we are forced to pay for an RS2x. The difference in cost beteen an RS2x and SR60 driver I suspect might be single digit dollars. Grado adorns RS2x with wood cups to help justify to customer the difference in price. ETA has the capability to beat RS2x but for less.

Hopefully ETA can improve on their headband. Even a small touch could help, like ETA could replace some plastic bits with custom 3DP bits with ETA logo.

ETA O2 with Grado headband:
IMG_1656.jpeg
Im actually working with them on a headband! I am not affiliated or an ETA staff member, but I would consider them friends so I have been developing a headband that should be usable with their current lineup.

I also introduced them to my suspension strap mod which improved the comfort of the MDR headband while being portable still. They're doing what they can to make sure the headband is better.
Maybe just production delays, it happens but always best to check with the guys themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back