ETA O2 headphone
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #31 of 79
I'm at a fun point in my audio dive after sitting on a HD600 on a weak chain for about 5 years.
Still pretty new and have some stuff left to try, but I'm feeling like I've settled into having a decent sense of what I like.

Was really just at a point to completely move away from an on-ear/over-ear headphone for a daily and do an IEM instead, but the O2 is pulling me back a bit.
I'm not having the comfort issues some folks have talked about, and I typically dislike this type of headband, but it's something I can keep wearing no prob.
I feel like it sits on my ears a little weird, but not really something that sticks in my head after putting on a song.

The other headphone in this range that I'd go for is the HiFiMan XS, but I hate the headband so unlucky. These are also something I won't worry about bringing outside.

Getting a really great forward neutral sound with bass depth that I'm just hoping to find with my estats... eventually haha....
I tend to prefer brighter stuff, but the balance here is really pleasant.
There are some tracks that I'm not preferring boomier bass presentation, but I think there's a lot of people looking for this kind of thing. I definitely was before I jumped into estats.

O2 is definitely one of those "just get this" headphones with quality that's retained with whatever you power it with. If only it got a little louder off my PC's headphone jack lol, but a Qudelix 5k does the job well.
My chain is iFI ZEN One Signature as ddc, Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 Mk2 for dac, a custom AVC as pre, Harmon Kardon 770 amp, and iESL transformer.
Switching between the ZENOne (with HQ Player) and SFD dacs was a pretty big change that I wasn't expecting. Improving staging on a sound you really love is a lovely thing and a nice change after running around with them. I'm trying to limit the amount of boxes I end up with, so thats all I've got for now kek.

Having a lot of fun, thank ya for the loaner, and looking forward to revisit down the road.
Loaner?

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #33 of 79
dfzgdazfgd.png
Is very good. Like very scary good.

Still gathering thoughts but I love it a lot.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #34 of 79
Cross posted from another place! I do write ups on various places but I wanted to share my impressions here.
After listening to it all day, this is a very good headphone for sound quality, probably one of the better ones priced at its current listing. Its a very relaxed tuning that isnt harsh or fatiguing at all in any way, which is helped a lot and complimented by its bass. While being an on ear, the bass quality and quantity is wonderful. Its enjoyable and not bloated to my ears with a good heft to it. Mids are relaxed, with a bit of recession but its not particularly an issue that can ruin the experience for many people. Treble is also something I noticed that doesn't sparkle of cause sibilance, however I can definitely hear it to have a form of extension and not much of a fall off in that regard that really helps the tonality.

Staging is...ok? Its not going to beat an hd800 which is known for its wide sound, and I actually find the o2 to be a bit small sounding in depth. Not a fan of that imo, as with some of the timbre. I've felt there were times some of the instrumental separation was a bit closer than I would like. Some instrumentals didn't have that complete sense of punch that makes it feel satisfying and so, rather just like it is there. While I do enjoy a good punch to my guitars, this doesn't seem to really benefit in that regard and is relaxed. It's smooth, a little bit much at times yet there are also times it is very engaging. Some songs like Invisible by Duran Duran has never sounded so lively and fun! Feels like a new breath of fresh air for me. So while it may lack at times, there are also those magical moments.

Tracks that truly benefit from the o2 is honestly anything, and that is what I love about this. While some tracks can be lacking in a dynamic sense and the feeling I get from the overall sound, there are also times you just want to bop your head and get sucked into the music.

Comfort is up to the person, if you can handle on ears for long periods of time, its going to be really comfortable. However, some people haven't liked the current state of the padding, and I can see why. But, the ETA guys are actually working on that, to make sure they are improved and better which I greatly admire. Build is to be desired to the persons perspective as well. The o2 is certainly priced at a point where you wouldn't often see a premade headband and 3d fdm printing, but in this situation, I actually think the o2 has really clever design choices that justify that price tag! Its so small, robust and light that doesn't make me worried about it breaking any time soon. As a 3d printing enthusiast myself, this really makes me happy to see it being a used technique that standard production methods much like injection moulding and casting couldn't do ever.

It's not perfect in any way, but this headphone scratches an itch I find in headphones lack, which is passion. You do not see many headphone makers with that passion often. Only a few companies exist now that I can honestly say they're doing something new, and trying to make people understand that. As if it's an art form, and consider this a medium I am in love with.

Well done ETA.

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #35 of 79
To say he liked these would be an understatement. :smile:

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #36 of 79
dfzgdazfgd.pngIs very good. Like very scary good.

Still gathering thoughts but I love it a lot.
Exactly. It has no right to be this good. Its not a upgraded Koss. Its competitive with TOTL headphones imo.

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 79
I was looking at these but ended up going in a different direction.

The review left me feeling like I really missed the boat. And then he mentioned the lack of dynamics and thump. Since my favourite headphones are the Focal Clear's (OG), that gives me pause, as it did a few months ago.

I would Love to try these out!

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 79

The review left me feeling like I really missed the boat. And then he mentioned the lack of dynamics and thump. Since my favourite headphones are the Focal Clear's (OG), that gives me pause, as it did a few months ago.

Nothing will compare to the Focal presentation due to the difference in approach to a goal. But... the ETA O2 gets very close - more Grado-esque, but with actual bass + timbre +fatigue free. More energetic than my Clear, but not more of what I think you are asking for. The Focal is a piston pumping into your ear where there is wider dispersion with the ETA. The air movement feels different is another way of saying it.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #39 of 79
Nothing will compare to the Focal presentation due to the difference in approach to a goal. But... the ETA O2 gets very close - more Grado-esque, but with actual bass + timbre +fatigue free. More energetic than my Clear, but not more of what I think you are asking for. The Focal is a piston pumping into your ear where there is wider dispersion with the ETA. The air movement feels different is another way of saying it.
I am always just looking for headphones that can compliment my Clear's. I ended up going with Meze 109 Pro's which I am still getting used to. Just tried them for a week (I think it was actually ten days) and was not blown away. But they may grow on me. It was pretty much down to these two.

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #40 of 79
Well - complimentary might mean different things to different people. I think the Utopia is complimentary. You already have the 600S2 and HE6. Only thing that I'd say is truly the next step would be the RAAL SR-1a/b

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #41 of 79
Well - complimentary might mean different things to different people. I think the Utopia is complimentary. You already have the 600S2 and HE6. Only thing that I'd say is truly the next step would be the RAAL SR-1a/b
WAY too expensive for me. I have built up a pretty good selection now, but I will always likely make "adjustments".

Complimentary is probably the wrong word. Actually, I know it is.
I am just trying to collect a wide selection of sound signatures that I really like.

I think the 109's have shown me that I have most of the bases covered already. I love my Clear's, Grado GH2's (wearing right now) and the HE6se V2's.
I am also Really fond of my Ambrosia's, HD660S2's and iBasso SR2's.

The 109's, on their first run through, had a hard time finding a niche.

But I will Always be looking for the next one! Who knows, I may even sell the 109's and go after these next.

I am even mildly curious about the upcoming FiiO FT5's.:grin:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 79

hes 100% wrong... they have incredible dynamics and impact...

Just like he was wrong when he said susvara doesn't need much power and that 3 mw is sufficient

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #43 of 79
To put it context... atticus dynamics crush abyss phi tc 1266 (powered off pass x350.8). O2 is not far from atticus. Great great EDM headphone.

I also disagree with the way he characterized the bass. They have amazing bass quantity... 100% bass head headphone.

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #44 of 79
To put it context... atticus dynamics crush abyss phi tc 1266 (powered off pass x350.8). O2 is not far from atticus. Great great EDM headphone.

I also disagree with the way he characterized the bass. They have amazing bass quantity... 100% bass head headphone.
Ya, these thing hit hard on the bass. Like it blows me away how much quantity it has with so little distortion to the rest of the sound signatures.

Oct 11, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #45 of 79
A Porta Pro with totl capabilities is my dream headphone.

I messaged ETA for purchase related query. This review is convincing.

It's a bit surprising that it hasn't been done. A modular design where you can change the headband to your liking but with better drivers than the Porta Pro (and variants) with detachable cables etc...

This looks pretty cool but the 3D-print design feels very prototype-ish especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back