Monoprice Hi-Fi DJ Style Headphone Review
Apr 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #197 of 273
Got my 8323 today.  Tested them for a few minutes.  Ears started sweating like crazy.  Had to do a quick fix pronto.

So I took my Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velor Pads and tried to put them onto the 8323.  Little too loose. 

Quick fix to my quick fix.

*Note:  Sorry for the poor photo quality, taken with my cell phone.  I was too lazy to get my good camera out.

- Here is the full Kit that comes with the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 pads - 

- Close up of the plastic holder shows these little prongs. -

- I placed the prongs down toward the pad to stretch the outer pad ring -

- I also placed the the inner pad between the two -

- Then wrapped around the 8323, still a little loose, but much better -

Comfort level has gone from a 4/10 to a solid 7/10.  Still need to stretch the headband a bit.

The pads are slightly loose, but they are not going anywhere. 

I did not notice a change in sound signature.

Funny, the pads cost as much as the headphones.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #198 of 273

Quote:
Got my 8323 today.  Tested them for a few minutes.  Ears started sweating like crazy.  Had to do a quick fix pronto.

So I took my Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velor Pads and tried to put them onto the 8323.  Little too loose. 

Quick fix to my quick fix.

*Note:  Sorry for the poor photo quality, taken with my cell phone.  I was too lazy to get my good camera out.

- Here is the full Kit that comes with the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 pads - 

- Close up of the plastic holder shows these little prongs. -

- I placed the prongs down toward the pad to stretch the outer pad ring -

- I also placed the the inner pad between the two -

- Then wrapped around the 8323, still a little loose, but much better -

Comfort level has gone from a 4/10 to a solid 7/10.  Still need to stretch the headband a bit.

The pads are slightly loose, but they are not going anywhere. 

I did not notice a change in sound signature.

Funny, the pads cost as much as the headphones.

Can you buy the Beyer pads only?

bob

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #199 of 273
Can you buy the Beyer pads only?

bob

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MF7W2
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT250Earpad/

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #202 of 273

Quote:
Got my Monoprice 8323's today and I love them. Great Isolation very non fatiguing and I don't find the pleather sweaty at all.
They don't have the sub-bass of my Superlux HD668B's nor the bright treble. They don't have the detail and comfort of my Senns. They are just so much fun and sound great. For 20 bucks like my JVC air cushions I am completely happy and not crushed like the Pannie HTF-600's.

How do they sound vs. the Pannys?

thx

bob

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #203 of 273

Quote:
One prob i'm definitely having is with the shorter cheap cord the left phone is much louder and bassier than the right. I cant fully plug it in either or barely any noise comes out, i have to fiddle with it a bit then it works.

When i use the longer thicker cord, the right phone is slightly louder than the left. Weak! You think it has to do with the headphone or the cords? If i have to return these things for a replacement they better not charge me shipping..

I just had a similar issue, cept mine was reverse.  The side with the cord had much more bass.  I tried both the small and large cords, but had the same issue.  I also tried playing a bunch of different songs, but always had the same result.

I opened up the ear cup and a few of the wires looked frayed.  So I am sending them in to be exchanged.  I hope it works out, because I liked the sound I heard.  Also because I had the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Pads on that made them very comfortable.  AND, I ordered some cool Kicker HP541 Decals.

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #204 of 273

Quote:

How do they sound vs. the Pannys?

thx

bob

Totally different apples and oranges. One is a closed headset with good detail and a balanced sound with some nice kick in the mid bass.The mids are the a little recessed but I am cool with that. I have a headphone that will smack me around with mids if I want that. The other is a semi open that is supposedly great but I didn't hear that. I found it muffled like there was something covering the driver and taking away from the detail in the sound. They are hard to compare because I would use them in totally different situations.

Part of my problem was I didn't really listen all that long to the Pannys. I had the Sen HD598 and Superlux HD668B by that point and both beat the Pannys up and down. So I gave them to my brother. Couple weeks later I tried them again when I got my DT990pros and I disliked them even more. I think I may just not like darker sounding headphones. I love the Koss KSC75 also which can also be bright sounding. So I am a bad judge of dark headphones.

May 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #205 of 273
So I just got these and did Magick Man's mod (and added the Beyer DT250 pads, which I didn't think were too loose on their own), and adding sticky tack to the drivers made them bassless and too bright for me. But I pulled that off, left the rest, and the result was revelatory. The added weight and reduced echo made a big difference. Bass is tight and accurate, and it's detailed with a wider soundstage than most other closed-back headphones I've tried.

I spend all day listening to my DT250s, and these are quite delightful. They're a bit bright, but IME that's because I haven't burned them in yet. I'm surprised at the quality of these in every possible way. I'd put them as somewhere in between my DT235 and DT250 in quality. 

For an out-the-door cost of about $50, I'd still say they're way beyond a bargain; If I weren't so spoiled by my Beyers, I'd make these my primary headphones.

May 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #206 of 273
This thread makes me sad.  I ordered a pair of the 8323 as I said a few post above and had issues with the left speaker.  Monoprice, quick to fix this problem sent me another pair right away.  The 2nd pair had the SAME exact issue.  It was like the left speaker had a "dead spot" some where in the frequency range.  Pushing it to be bassier and less clear.

I tried using the pair with my iPod Nano, Portable CD Player, Android Phone and Computer.  All did the exact same thing.  I switched cords, wore them backwards...  Nothing helped.

Really bummed because I very much like my 8320 IEM and wanted to try their DJ Styled 8323.  I really wanted to hear what these budget cans sound like. Oh well. 

Luckily, that same day I had the issue with the 8323, I picked a pair of Brainwavz HM3 (New) for $26.66 Shipped!  And those are AWSOME!

BTW, I know it has been said before, but Monoprice has the BEST customer service.  So quick to fix a problem or to refund your money.  I will continue to buy from them in the future.

May 16, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #207 of 273
My round of mods on the 8323 include:
- acoustic foam (with heavy rubber backing) in the cup
- square of velour on top of the foam
- vibration dampener (dynamat/fatmat) on the rear of the driver
- micropore tape over the cup vents

To my ear it smoothes out the response with a thumpier low end and extends the treble greatly without peaking. 

I've got another awaiting reassembly right now with the following:
- sprayed rubber sealant in the cup and rear of baffle (to achieve seal and remove reflective surfaces)
- double/triple layer of micropore over the cup vents
- seal the hole from the hinge

May 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #209 of 273
May 24, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #210 of 273
I've never owned a pair of " over ear " headphones. always on ear but mostly In ear as of late. Going to be ordering some things from MonoPrice an a headphone purchase is presenting itself. So my question to all of you is, Will I majorly regret moving away from IEM 's to over ear? I am curious about Monoprice's 8321 " button " style iems's an the 8323 dj style ones. Most of my listening is done at home, sometimes while out grocery shopping or meandering.  Connected to my computer, or my Moto Photon phone. poweramp is such a great tool :)  As far as apples an oranges go, considering the budget angle here. How big of difference in presentation should I expect coming from iem to over ear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back