Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier #11567
Oct 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #77 of 143
I one person's review which said he didn't notice difference from his Schiit product... he tried with the Sony V6.
I'm not sure if it's just one man's opinion, or something more..
that's why I'm asking..

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #78 of 143
I bought one of these to pair with my Q701 and I noticed that every time I turn the amp on. I can hear a little pop sound in the headphone. Also, each time I adjust the volume knob, I can hear a slight static sound, some songs are more noticeable than others. I'm not sure whether or not this should be a concern as I have very little experience and knowledge with amplifier/DACs.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #79 of 143
Sorry guys I did not know that we could not post anything about Massdrop, I have edited it.

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #80 of 143
I bought this Monoprice Headphone amp/DAC and I like it a lot.  I use it with Beyerdynamic DT880s and Audeze LCD-X (just purchased).  Caveat emptor--I don't have any experience with expensive headphone amp/DACs--I previously used the headphone out on my Denon 3310CI and Yamaha a720 receivers and a Fiio E7 amp/DAC.  This Monoprice unit sounds much better with both sets of headphones--a richer, fuller sound with no graniness that I can detect.

I'm feeling poor now having just purchased the Audeze LCD-X, but at some point I'll be tempted to upgrade to a better amp/DAC, but for now, I've no complaints on this cheap Monoprice unit.

First post on Head-fi!!  Don't be mean!

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #83 of 143
Just bought this from monoprice.  Never use any amp or dac.  Will be interested test my different headphones on them.  Most of my stuff is fairly low impedance I do have a set of PC 350's that are 150 ohms hopefully they gain somethng from the amp.  I do plan on buying some better cans later on.

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #84 of 143
I just ordered this thing (my first dac/amp) and even though I don't even have it yet, I kinda regret it.

I have a feeling I'm going to want to replace it even if I do like it...just because I'm vain and it is made by Monoprice.  

I was going to buy a Schitt Stack, but I kinda want an dac/amp combo instead of even more cords.

Woes!

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #85 of 143
I just got this.  First impression is pretty good.  The main reason why I bought it is I was getting a lot of hiss from my onboard audio.  This is clean, there is no background hiss that I can detect, even when I have the volume all the way up.  Granted, I do have a fan blowing behind me, but I always do.   

It's a class 1 device, which means no drivers need to be loaded, but I'm wondering a couple things about how it works.  When I have it selected as the default device in the control panel (windows 7 ultimate N) if I have it turned on, I get sound out of my headphones automatically, and the speakers mute.  (My speakers are currently connected to my onboard audio jack)

If I turn it off, my speakers turn on.  This is mostly convenient, except for one little thing....

When I am using the amp for headphones, the windows volume control also effects the volume coming out of the amp.  I was under the impression that when using a USB dac/amp, the windows volume control would not effect the volume out of the dac/amp?

Am I missing something?  I would rather not have to always remember to turn the volume down when I play music from my computer speakers.  They have their own amp of course (Logitech Z2200) which means they have their own volume control...that I try not to use because it is getting old and gives static out the ass...so for my PC speakers I use the windows volume control.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #86 of 143
Why don't you plug your speakers into the back of the Monoprice? It has a pre-out and line out option. The pre-out would let you control the volume with your headphone amp volume.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #87 of 143
Why don't you plug your speakers into the back of the Monoprice? It has a pre-out and line out option. The pre-out would let you control the volume with your headphone amp volume.

The destop speaker cable is a 1/8 mini-jack, so I don't have the proper cable at the moment.  

What I need to do that would be this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2

But I had seen a video review that showed someone mentioning the pre-out works simultanously, so in order to not have the headphones playing while the speakers were playing, I would need to disconnect the headphones.  In order to not have the speakers playing while the headphones were playing, I'd have to turn off the speakers.  To add insult to injury, they also said the only way to get proper volume out of the pre-amp, is to have the high-gain switch set to on.  I don't have a need to use the high gain switch with any of the phones I currently own.  And then you have the small matter that I lose the ability to use the windows volume control when using the speakers, which is strongly preferred, especially since when using the computer speakers, I use my phone to control them remotely.  (foobar remote)

I don't know...maybe the operation style that I want with the volume control is not possible to get...I don't plan on using these speakers much longer.  They sound great...but they are really old and the power/volume thingamabobber is getting wonky (it's not built into the speaker, it is a separate dongle) and I have a feeling it is on its last legs.  

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #90 of 143
I know this a desktop amp but could I use it drive my iPhone 6 at all? 

You could hook the headphone output on a phone to aux in on the amp. But you wouldn't be using the DAC in the Monoprice. If all you need is a headphone amp for a phone, you might consider the FiiO E11K so that you have something portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back