Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier #11567
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #106 of 143
Sound wise it's honestly nothing special, not anywhere close to best I've heard... but I do like it's warmer tone and how it has been totally hassle free for me (no weird noises at the HP out when plugging in/out, black background without hiss even when using the volume control, line/preout option, AUX in, USB working flawless, etc), it's compact size for being a combo unit and reasonable gain at both settings (at low gain, you get good volume range even with the more sensitive headphones, while high is still strong enough for more demanding cans). For something in its price range (as low as you can go for something of this variety, basically), I'm actually pretty impressed at how little they get seriously wrong. I've been rather enjoying it as part of my bedside rig lately with all my headphones/IEM's. 

Glad to hear your update on this, as there have been very few testimonials for it. I have been wondering how it and the Fire Phoenix would compare since they are pretty comparably priced: http://penonaudio.com/FIRE-PHOENIX-DAC-02. Got it for my teenage son a few years ago, and still working well. More discussion of the Fire Phoenix here (in case someone ends up looking for alternative $100 dac/amps). We need a shootout between the two :D

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #107 of 143
I have used the unit more extensively with different headphones, and while with some of them is not that impressive (HD600, AKG K501), with the Fidelio X2 it sounds pretty amazing, with decent soundstage and good bass control. In fact I would say that with this particular combo in a blind test it would be hard to tell apart from much more expensive gear.

I still have to do some experimentation with the power supply, and check if it can accept 12v, since I already have a good 12v linear PSU unused.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #109 of 143
quick question in regards to the MDA,

how it does compare to a Modi/Magni setup?

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #110 of 143
This Monoprice Desk DAC/AMP is my own personal MVP for 2015 in it's class. This just my newest addition to a ever growing audio gear collection, so I have at least 15 other DAC/Amp's (separate or combo devices) to directly compare to, and so I am pleased to say it is a home run for its price range, at the LEAST. I'm still A/B'ing the thing, but now I'm leaning to it exceeds my expectations for quality and performance / fit and finish for it's class and could prob pull off a $169-$229 price tag convincingly. After spending a good 50 hours of playtime (yay ...playtime!) using the Amp for my turntable and the DAC/Amp for PC/Android/iPod Nano 2nd G Rockboxed all heading to either 2.0 studio monitor setup or headphones, I have not experienced not a single hardware or playback error or any negative issue I can possible think of. Its all good.

I'm a bit of a Fiio-natic (you may use if you like :p) and I've previously owned both BYOD/A combos E7/E9  and E7k/E9k and SQ here is right there, as this is conclusively a 3 year old either prototype or skipped generation all together, the missing link in the evolution of Fiio's desktop lineup.  It's hard to pinpoint what combo of the 4 devices this is precisely without having those in front of me, but its unquestionably a very enjoyable listen, a smooth operator, an easy rider, a high flying bird, and a master of brutality.  Sorry Geezer, but I'm actually going Church of Misery MofB for this one, respect. I was able to score this guy with a BF deal from Jet.com for $52 all inclusive which still makes me smile..

So it seems Monoprice's unusually refined and stately 1st stab at a desktop DAC/Amp is a safe bet with tried and true sound and value built in...because if Fiio has proven anything over the last 5 years, it's that they are benevolent budget minded OCD audio engineering mutant space pandas with restless spirit and an eye so keen on innovation, it may just be the sea change the audio industry has so desperately needed for many many years. I leave you with the actual Fiio company Mission Statement.  Because it is so succinct, so ambitious, and well, it's nearly poetry!

"FiiO designs, produces and sells high-quality products at favorable prices to those who love music and style.

FiiO's aspiration: to raise the reputation of "Made in China".

Brand spirit: innovation, quality, service"

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #112 of 143
  Can the Monoprice be connected directly to an iPhone or iPad via USB without an external powered USB hub?

Jim,

* On iPad Air 2, I got it to work by using a small external hub, AND it powered the USB hub and output properly to the Monoprice DAC/amp without the hub needing external power from a wall wart. (Incidentally, it also worked with the wall wart plugged into the hub, but the wall wart wasn't necessary.)
* On iPad Air 2, it did NOT work plugged straight into the CCK.  It gave the "Cannot Use Device - requires too much power" error message.

* On iPhone 6s Plus, it would ONLY work when the hub was externally powered with a wall wart, otherwise this message similar to the iPad Air 2 when DAC plugged straight into CCK cable:

So the answer is... mostly no, but small victory with iPad Air 2 if you can stomach having the hub at all.

iPhone additionally requires the hub to be powered with a wall wart.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #113 of 143
  Can the Monoprice be connected directly to an iPhone or iPad via USB without an external powered USB hub?

Much like Trellus has said, the answer is mostly no. However, as this is a desktop amp and needs external power anyways, I don't really understand why the "without an external powered USB hub" would really matter, as the the unit itself isn't too portable, even without the craziness that would be needed to provide portable power to the amp itself.

If you're using the CCK with any combination of cables, order of plugging it in, and doing it with and without restarting the phone with it plugged in, I have never been able to avoid the "too much power" error, when plugging it directly into the CCK.

However, as Trellus also mentioned, if using a hub in between the CCK and the amp, you can get it to work. Now, technically it does not need to be a "powered" hub (meaning that it has its own power adapter/wall wart), but you will need to use an external battery plugged into the hub via a USB A male to USB A male cable (such as www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5441 ).

I have done this with the following hubs: amzn.com/B00FJG5T4W; amzn.com/B002HWRTEE; amzn.com/B00JX1ZS5O; amzn.com/B00LRYUJQS; and monoprice.com/product?p_id=6631

and the following batteries: amzn.com/B00QDCG0KS ; amzn.com/B00T5XQE3U ; amzn.com/B00GAAK8D8

Hope that helps...

Peace,

Sam

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #114 of 143
How does this compare to the e10k as a desktop amp/dac? I have a DT880 250ohms. I like how it sounds connected to my pc, but I would like to add an amp/dac to raise the roof on sound quality. I want to spend under $100 for my very first amp/dac, and I'm down to this or the e10k. Any suggestions? Feel free to recommend something else entirely :)

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #115 of 143
How does this compare to the e10k as a desktop amp/dac? I have a DT880 250ohms. I like how it sounds connected to my pc, but I would like to add an amp/dac to raise the roof on sound quality. I want to spend under $100 for my very first amp/dac, and I'm down to this or the e10k. Any suggestions? Feel free to recommend something else entirely :)

Hey bladefd...

I do not have the E10k to compare with, but I do have the E07k. It is a decent little portable amp, but the Monoprice does sound better.

In my opinion, the Monoprice amp is ~85% as good as an ODAC/O2 setup, with the main difference being microdetails in the highs, but at less than 1/3 the cost!

That being said, I don't know exactly what you're looking for in an amp. If you want the pre-amp out functionality, absolutely go with the Monoprice amp. You can't really get that on any other amp for less than $500.

However, if you're simply looking for musicality and accurate sound reproduction, and the option for some portability as well; I'd recommend the Massdrop CEntrance DACport Slim. It's probably the closest to a tube amp sound that I've heard out of a solid state amp, is powerful enough to drive nearly anything louder that you'd want to listen to them, and it's only $100!

Hope that helps...

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #116 of 143
Hey bladefd...

I do not have the E10k to compare with, but I do have the E07k. It is a decent little portable amp, but the Monoprice does sound better.

In my opinion, the Monoprice amp is ~85% as good as an ODAC/O2 setup, with the main difference being microdetails in the highs, but at less than 1/3 the cost!

That being said, I don't know exactly what you're looking for in an amp. If you want the pre-amp out functionality, absolutely go with the Monoprice amp. You can't really get that on any other amp for less than $500.

However, if you're simply looking for musicality and accurate sound reproduction, and the option for some portability as well; I'd recommend the Massdrop CEntrance DACport Slim. It's probably the closest to a tube amp sound that I've heard out of a solid state amp, is powerful enough to drive nearly anything louder that you'd want to listen to them, and it's only $100!

Hope that helps...

Interesting. The massdrop ended though. :p

-I don't plan on carrying it around. I will just keep it on my desk so portability doesn't really matter
-I don't need more power to make my dt880 louder tbh. I just want it to sound even better.. I mean they receive enough power from my pc to hear them fairly loudly so I'm not buying dac/amp to get more power.

I don't quite understand pre-amp vs amp for headphones. I know for speakers, amp gives you power and preamp is for volume control. I have no idea how it differs for purely headphones. :tongue_smile:

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #117 of 143
Interesting. The massdrop ended though. :p

-I don't plan on carrying it around. I will just keep it on my desk so portability doesn't really matter
-I don't need more power to make my dt880 louder tbh. I just want it to sound even better.. I mean they receive enough power from my pc to hear them fairly loudly so I'm not buying dac/amp to get more power.

I don't quite understand pre-amp vs amp for headphones. I know for speakers, amp gives you power and preamp is for volume control. I have no idea how it differs for purely headphones. :tongue_smile:

Yeah, sorry, the recent drop ended, but if you're not in a big hurry or don't mind waiting, it's usually on Massdrop about once a month. Or you could always look at the for sale/trade forms here, eBay, etc...

I think that would be you best bang for the buck as far as sound quality goes!

I don't have one yet, but I'm going to get an xDuoo XD-05 soon... You could also look at that. It apparently has the same AKM AK4490 DAC chip as the DACport Slim, but also has an aux-in, optical/coaxial input, 3 gain settings, a bass boost switch, several DAC filters, and the ability to opamp roll if you want! And, it's only $153 at GearBest.

And, you are correct, a pre-amp out on a headphone amp is essentially the same as for any other amplifier... It allows you to bypass the amplifier circuit, allowing you to use the DAC only, while giving you a volume adjustment for the pre-amp signal. So, for instance I have it set up to run pre-amp out to a stereo system for use when I'm alone (essentially an external sound card that is significantly better than the onboard card), or use it as a headphone amp for when people are around.

But, either way, you'd have more than enough power your DT880's and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see just how much better stuff sounds through an external DAC/Amp as compared to cheaply made onboards!

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #118 of 143
got a pair of hd-650's on order and have narrowed my first amp choices to this or the schiitz fulla 2. anything to consider? I may not be upgrading to a more quality amp for some time with budget permitting. 

appreciate any help

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #119 of 143
got a pair of hd-650's on order and have narrowed my first amp choices to this or the schiitz fulla 2. anything to consider? I may not be upgrading to a more quality amp for some time with budget permitting. 

appreciate any help

The Fulla 2 looks good but would likely be under powered for the HD650 since it is only USB powered.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #120 of 143
Quick question for all those who owns this amp/dac, I have a weird issue with the dac portion of this unit. If i step away for a few hours with the amp/dac and my pc on with no sound playing, the unit needs to be turned off and turned back on before I can listen to anything otherwise it would sound muddy and static-y. Anyone else have this issue?

Just an FYI, I have the unit going to a DTA-120 through Line-Out. I removed it to see if it was causing the issue but I get the same results with just using the dac/amp with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back