Monolith M300 In Ear Planar Earphones
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #226 of 659
I'm tempted, but am unable to mess with any eq function due to using an external DAC for Tidal playback. With that said, I actually prefer a darker presentation, so I'm wondering if combined with a brighter DAC will I possibly not see the same issues.

Edited my message a bit, but without eq-bass-gain options, sound is flat, not dark.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #227 of 659
I skimmed over the thread and I'm curious, has anyone tried applying Audeze's cypher cable EQ to these? I want to know just how similar these two products are

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #229 of 659
Edited my message a bit, but without eq-bass-gain options, sound is flat, not dark.
So, this is where I'm a little confused. Everyone is talking about how all the iSine need eq. At Canjam, I listened to the 20 without cipber cu I don't use Apple products, and I quite liked it. Bass was nice, allxfreq were present to my ears, but here I read everyone saying all these need eq. So I'm highly confused

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #230 of 659
So, this is where I'm a little confused. Everyone is talking about how all the iSine need eq. At Canjam, I listened to the 20 without cipber cu I don't use Apple products, and I quite liked it. Bass was nice, allxfreq were present to my ears, but here I read everyone saying all these need eq. So I'm highly confused

It's probably just that they line up with your preferred sound signature. If you like it the way it is, then you're not going to want to EQ it. A lot of us who want to EQ it want more treble or want a more neutral signature which requires us to EQ them to get that. There's nothing wrong with preferring a different sound than someone else.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #231 of 659
Frankly, these seem like an excellent idea, but an unfinished product. I'm out.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #232 of 659
Shame, because they really did appear to show promise.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #233 of 659

There's a pretty wide range of opinion on whether iSine really needs EQ or not. Some people are totally happy with it as is, others find it unlistenable without EQ.

I imagine this comes down to:

* Differences in user preference/ears
* Differences in source and/or amp
* Differences in what music people listen to

I have the iSine 20 and have used them extensively with the cipher cable and without it. (TEAC HA-P50, ALO CDM) I've mostly used them without EQ, but recently I've been experimenting with using the recommended cipher-substitute EQ, and my general sense is that for most tracks, I'm happy either way, some tracks sound quite wonky without EQ, and a few sound wonky with EQ but sound good without it.

Given all the variables and subjectivity, definitely a case of everybody should try it for themselves if they can and see what works or doesn't work for them.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #234 of 659

Lots of things going into play here. The first question is, because they are semi-open-back, how quiet were your surroundings? Noise could make it harder for your ears to hear some of the downfalls of the iSine, something you would notice in a quiet room. The second is that most people are looking at that spike around the 1-2kHz region which they all seem to be toning down so it's dead flat. If someone is sensitive to this frequency range, a resonance in this frequency range would certainly make it unlistenable. Even if not, it would still cause some issues to many listeners. I haven't listened to the iSine without the Cipher cable as I do use an iDevice myself.

However, then there is the idea that some people prefer less sparkle, or a darker sound while others like a more balanced (slight V-shaped) signature. In which case, they'll EQ it to their liking. Though in the latter case, I wouldn't say it's unlistenable...

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #235 of 659
I saw a picture on Reddit showing the M1060 with what looked like a much more comfortable headband. Possibly a 3rd generation? As far as pads go, I've ordered ZMF lambskin pads (Eikon) on Massdrop for mine but they haven't arrived yet. I believe ZMF is also working on their own 'vegan' pads so that's something to look out for in the (hopefully) near future.

Now if only we could mod the M300...

Perhaps better earhooks, could help with the comfort issues.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #236 of 659
So with regards to comfort I'm thinking of buying an iem cable that hooks around the ears and then just turning them upside down. It sounds weird but the angle and opposite side of the oem doesn't hurt my ear as much. I was also able to just shove on my smaller more comfortable tips. If anyone knows of a cheap cable with the same connectors post about it.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #237 of 659
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #238 of 659
I saw a picture on Reddit showing the M1060 with what looked like a much more comfortable headband. Possibly a 3rd generation? As far as pads go, I've ordered ZMF lambskin pads (Eikon) on Massdrop for mine but they haven't arrived yet. I believe ZMF is also working on their own 'vegan' pads so that's something to look out for in the (hopefully) near future.

Now if only we could mod the M300...

Oh cool, I remember seeing his video about him breaking his pair while modding them because he knocked a magnet or something like that... Yeah I would probably be down to mod them myself, but I wonder if Monoprice is going to have a fuzzor mod in a future iteration of the headphone.

Perhaps better earhooks, could help with the comfort issues.

I think the headband similar to the stax sr002 would be pretty ace .That way it isn't relying on the ear at all, just the top of your head or maybe a behind the head design would be cool to.

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #239 of 659
Good idea

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #240 of 659
2BBF18D5-B9ED-41E8-A799-0E71CF7D3DD7.jpeg
Just ordered this kit off eBay. Will let you know if everything fits when the package arrives next week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back