Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,336 of 1,409
I just received mine today and have to say I'm in the "Polar Opposite" category. These things sound Amazing. I love my original M1060 and also my m560. I also really enjoy my 400i. All of them sound different and I pick them up for different music that I feel fits their strengths. This new M1060C is in that same category to me. It does things a little different and its a very pleasing kind of different to my ears. They are easer to drive than my original M1060 and the Bass has more kick drum style punch but still maintains great Sub-Bass depth. The Highs are slightly more rolled off than the original M1060 but not enough to ruin any sense of detail or clarity. I would call them Smoother, more Laid Back. I can already tell these will be less fatiguing to listen to than any bright Can. I like that. I have owned Grado RS-1s and they were way to bright for my taste. I honestly can't wait till I get 150+ hours of burn in on these to see if they even get better. From my experience all Planars benefit from Burn In. So far though, straight out of the box, these are absolute keepers. I have to wonder if some people will bash these just because Monoprice has in the past clearly took the designs from Audeze and hurt a company that many here love and respect. From what I understand these are a completely new driver design that Monoprice worked on based on customer feedback. This is IMHO a good thing as it shows they can do their own thing and hit a home run. And yes I would consider these a "Home Run". I hope they continue on that path. All I can say, if you are on the fence, is this: They have a return policy. At least try them yourself. For the money they are well worth a shot if you are on a budget and really want to try Planars. Never let anyone else tell you what you should enjoy or not enjoy. Sound is incredibly subjective. I for one love Tubes, many "Audiophiles" also love Tubes. Tubes however Color the sound. Does that make me or others less of an "Audiophile" because we prefer to alter the sound to our liking? I also use EQ. To some that is just blasphemy. I'm not offended by their opinion just because it differs from my own. I listen to my music for my personal pleasure and really don't give a crap if someone else disagrees with the way I do it. I for one am very pleased with my purchase and will report back later with some direct A/B comparison to my original M1060s. Not to influence anyone else as to what they should or should not buy but just to share my personal music experience with what I consider a great community of like minded men and women who for the most part have the same love of music and audio gear that I do. For now I'm going back to Rolling some Tubes and enjoying my new toy :)

Lasher
Hi, would you consider these to be an upgrade to Argons?

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,337 of 1,409
After two weeks of owning these, ranking all planars I've owned so far:

1. Monolith M1060C (open-mod) - nearly flawless with EQ, most detailed of all, best bass and slam, godlike imaging
1. Audeze LCD-2 Classic - nearly flawless with EQ, tonality is SO on-point until 4khz, best dynamics and timbre
2. HiFiMAN Arya - amazing energy and microdetail but too expensive for what it can do, not enough bass slam, soundstage artificially wide, average dynamics
3. HiFiMAN Sundara - nice but with a few problems: amazing bass but zero slam, average mids, a lot of ringing in the 6khz-10khz area
4. HiFiMAN HE4xx - good, smoother mids than other models, decent bass slam, but the headband is horrendous
5. HiFiMAN HE400se - decent but thin sounding, annoying headband
6. HiFiMAN HE400i 2020 edition - trash tonality, annoying headband
(I also own the 7Hz Timeless and Raptgo Hook-X planar IEMs.)

There are people who are afraid to speak the truth, but I am not, because I have no reputation to mantain. Yes, these headphones are cheap but easily comparable with $800-$1500 pairs. I don't get why Joshua Valour has to repeat in his review so many times a line like: "bUT DOn'T Get THe wROng idea thEse Are NoT on the samE lEVel as tHE auDeze"... when they totally are on the same level... I A/Bd them for endless hours with the LCD-2 Classics and it's a tie in almost every category.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,338 of 1,409
Hi everyone, my 1060C arrived about 10 days ago and I am very happy with it. I would like to make the first modification to the original cable, it is too long (no more than 1 meter) and I would like a better quality. I have read good things about the Mogami 2534 in a semi-balanced configuration. I accept advice from those who have experienced

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #1,341 of 1,409
Has anybody tried the beyerdynamic headbands for fit? I have an old pair of dt770😱😂
The yokes of the DT770 are way too small. I guess you could use the actual spring steel part of the Beyer headband and 3D print new yokes/sliders but it wouldn't be straightforward.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,342 of 1,409

1. Monolith M1060C (open-mod) - nearly flawless with EQ, most detailed of all, best bass and slam, godlike imaging
1. Audeze LCD-2 Classic - nearly flawless with EQ, tonality is SO on-point until 4khz, best dynamics and timbre
2. HiFiMAN Arya - amazing energy and microdetail but too expensive for what it can do, not enough bass slam, soundstage artificially wide, average dynamics
3. HiFiMAN Sundara - nice but with a few problems: amazing bass but zero slam, average mids, a lot of ringing in the 6khz-10khz area
4. HiFiMAN HE4xx - good, smoother mids than other models, decent bass slam, but the headband is horrendous

There are people who are afraid to speak the truth, but I am not, because I have no reputation to mantain. Yes, these headphones are cheap but easily comparable with $800-$1500 pairs. I don't get why Joshua Valour has to repeat in his review so many times a line like: "bUT DOn'T Get THe wROng idea thEse Are NoT on the samE lEVel as tHE auDeze"... when they totally are on the same level... I A/Bd them for endless hours with the LCD-2 Classics and it's a tie in almost every category.
Yes, i do agree with you as I've tried many headphones as well including the arya, lcd x, lcd 3 and even the lcd 4. While i don't think the m1060c open mod comes even close to an lcd 4, it definitely competes with so many midfi headphones, That is with eq of course. For instance, most lower end hifiman stuff like the ananda, I would take the m1060c's in a heartbeat. The only thing about it is trying to get the mids right as vocals always dont sound as perfect as I would want them but dont get me wrong they are still amazing. The bass, the eq capability, ugh so good for the price.

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,343 of 1,409

It's all preference, but I do tend to agree with you. I think the 2C and the X are both worse than the M1060C. I know that it seems like an Audeze copy, but the M1060, M1060C, and the M1570 are all pretty different than any Audeze I have heard.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #1,344 of 1,409
It's all preference, but I do tend to agree with you. I think the 2C and the X are both worse than the M1060C. I know that it seems like an Audeze copy, but the M1060, M1060C, and the M1570 are all pretty different than any Audeze I have heard.
may I ask which is your preference among those three? and have you heard the 565C too? I have this one and it suprised me for how good it is.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,348 of 1,409
I think you have to take the cups apart.

Mine came today
20221020_172031.jpg

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,349 of 1,409
Does anyone know the trick to getting the flimsy headband off? I'd like to replace it with better :)

You need to remove the wood ear cup, then you need to remove the 2 e-clips that hold the pins in, as seen in the pic below:

SharedScreenshot2.jpg

On some of the units there are also e-clips that hold the pins to the yokes, as circled on the right in the pic of a M1060 below:

SharedScreenshot.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back