Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #1,322 of 1,409
Anyone used these long term? How are they holding up? I’ve read numerous times in the past that Monoprice products aint built the best.

I have 2 pairs that I've used for quite a long time, but I've heavily modified both sets. So I can only really speak to the drivers, which have held together phenomenally. I've used my sets with my Emotiva BasX A100 amp with the jumpers in place that allows all of the speaker amp's section to go through to the headphone jack. And since I'm an admitted basshead, I've EQ'ed them quite a bit and both sets still sound great. Don't know how much that helps you, but that is my experience with them so far.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,323 of 1,409
Anyone used these long term? How are they holding up? I’ve read numerous times in the past that Monoprice products aint built the best.
My daily drivers are the HD 6XX and the M1060C. I got my M1060C in early 2018 and have played with a few mods here and there but in the end kept it all stock except for adding a HiFiMan headband for looks. Still works great, and still one of my primary headphones.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,324 of 1,409
I've added fazers, 3D printed grills, Sundara headband and brainwavez pads. Bass is mental but the high end is out of control. I need to experiment a bit more...
20220128_102824.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,325 of 1,409
My roomba sucked up the cable of my M1060Cs and dragged them halfway across the house when I wasn't home. Cable is wrecked, one side of the wood is pretty scuffed. There's a bit of stretch damage on the pads, but otherwise they sound identical. Could be worse I guess.

Just got in a replacement cable from NewFantasia, seems to work fine now.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #1,326 of 1,409
I've added fazers, 3D printed grills, Sundara headband and brainwavez pads. Bass is mental but the high end is out of control. I need to experiment a bit more...
20220128_102824.jpg

I have to say that those grills and your color scheme make these cans really nice lookers! It's also cool seeing two familiar boxes just next to them :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 22, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #1,327 of 1,409
20220128_102824.jpg
Man, those are gorgeous! Great job!

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #1,328 of 1,409
Looking to add to my growing collection of headphones. Currently have the Sony XM3 as my daily driver for video editing and general watching/listening on my PC.

I have the Sundara, HD6X and Meze Neo Classics for general listening on my Astell&Kern SR25. The Sundara and HD6X is usually great for instrumental stuff and less complicated music but I find their bass incredibly lacking. I have a Fiio portable amp/dac to get them to a okay bass level but I definitely want more bass for my Rap, Soul and R&B music. The Meze Neo Classics WOULD be great for this but I hate how they make vocals sound. I found them to be more enjoyable for Big Band Jazz, Wind Band and other live instrument only genres.

I guess I'm looking for something similar to the XM3 with nice clean but present Bass but clarity for vocals for Rap, R&B and Soul Music. Will the Monolith 1060c be what I'm looking for?

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,329 of 1,409
Looking to add to my growing collection of headphones. Currently have the Sony XM3 as my daily driver for video editing and general watching/listening on my PC.

I have the Sundara, HD6X and Meze Neo Classics for general listening on my Astell&Kern SR25. The Sundara and HD6X is usually great for instrumental stuff and less complicated music but I find their bass incredibly lacking. I have a Fiio portable amp/dac to get them to a okay bass level but I definitely want more bass for my Rap, Soul and R&B music. The Meze Neo Classics WOULD be great for this but I hate how they make vocals sound. I found them to be more enjoyable for Big Band Jazz, Wind Band and other live instrument only genres.

I guess I'm looking for something similar to the XM3 with nice clean but present Bass but clarity for vocals for Rap, R&B and Soul Music. Will the Monolith 1060c be what I'm looking for?
While the M1060C is a good headphone, the bass is linear and extends well but isn't "fun" and thumping in the traditional sense, despite the good bass texture. Contrary to how most dynamic driver headphones are, closed-back doesn't equal thumping bass with planars. They do take EQ well (especially modded open) so you can add that thump in but I think you might be better suited looking for a biocellulose driver headphone like the EMU Teak/TH-X00/TH-610/D2k/D5k, etc. Heck, even the little CAL!2 can hang with it's bigger-driver brothers a bit in the bass department. These headphones tend to have the fun bass you are looking for without sacrificing the vocals. They are still pleasant, smooth, and clear (at least on the models I have tried, check my sig to see what I own), especially with the right genuine leather pads.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,331 of 1,409
Not really, the sound signature's pretty different

Sep 9, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #1,333 of 1,409
Hi to all, am totally new in this forum.
I ordered them yesterday on monoprice.eu at 200 € including shipping.It seems good price.
I would like to ask some advice from the experts who are here, how much burn in need? a good replacement cable, no more than 1 meter,
and if someone had already tried how it goes with Topping DX3 Pro+
thanks to all

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,335 of 1,409
Yes I know it's reengineered. That price seems adequate as imo it's a bit steep @$343+ especially after hearing possible QC issues.

I ended up sending my T-X0 to Modhouse Audio to get converted to the MK2 argon. I know one thing I love the planar sound over the Denon AH-D2000 so very interested to see what Ryan does to these.

It's why I have such an interest in the 1060. I like bass to be impactful and tight. If these are good as far as planar bass goes then I more than likely will pick them up if they go on sale.
Hi, could you compare Argons against 1060c?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back