Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,306 of 1,409
Hi everyone,
After looking at every picture and graph here, I was wondering if someone had a graph of the 1060C open mod without EQ? Like just open and no further mods? I'm trying my hand at EQing them myself and am quite happy so far but not being an ear EQ expert, eyes on would help a lot!
I'm pretty sure this is what you are asking for? I don't think there were any other mods besides taking the cups off compared to stock. I'm not 10000% sure since it was a while ago when I modded/measured these. Keep in mind that this a very non-standard (aka janky) homemade measurement rig that I made for like $7 so it shouldn't be compared to anything else and should be taken with a grain of salt.
M1060C-Stock-vs-No-Cups.jpg

Oct 21, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #1,307 of 1,409
I'm pretty sure this is what you are asking for? I don't think there were any other mods besides taking the cups off compared to stock. I'm not 10000% sure since it was a while ago when I modded/measured these. Keep in mind that this a very non-standard (aka janky) homemade measurement rig that I made for like $7 so it shouldn't be compared to anything else and should be taken with a grain of salt.
M1060C-Stock-vs-No-Cups.jpg
thanks a lot my man! this is exactly what I was looking for! I can see better what happens to the ori 2k bump (due to being closed)
I feel there was too much mid/upper base bleeding into the voices (female voices in general were too bassy - not very realistic)
Felt there were a good bit of nasal characteristics around and, besides the general darkness to them, also not enough "air"
I feel I have already improved a good measure but the mind wanders.
I also found loads of songs that just sound not too great hehehe and had me going crazy until I just tried different phones and then it was clear. I expected better from a lot of performers.
Thanks again, mate!!

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,308 of 1,409
Ok, here comes a big time pad recommendation. These pads: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d1ZGXiP

I had them lying around in the 105mm size and decided to try them while trying some different pads on the M1060C.
Since posting my mod in early May i've been looking for ways to further tune down the upper mids but nothing has really worked until now.

Here is a comparison graph that has the graph with the stock pads, with the sheepskin & pleather m1060c pads from the CP Yang store on aliexpress and these 105mm oval shaped pads from the link above:
(The graphs naturally include my other mods described in the previous post.)

M1060C_Pad_Shootout.jpg

These oval pads lift up the relative positions of bass and treble compared to the upper mids in particular. Treble detail is also improved. I also like sub-bass to be higher than midbass which is what the pads also give.

There were also two things I noticed about the stock pads after removing them:

1- They have a hard plastic frame between the pad and driver. This plastic frame causes ringing in upper mids (I could see this in the spectral decay waterfall plots, can post those if someone wants), so not having the plastic frame there cleans up the mids further.

2- The fabric sheet between driver and stock pads is actually not attached to the pads, so it can be easily used with other pads as well. After taking the measurements above, I decided to use it with the oval pads as well. It mainly reduces the treble peaks by a couple of decibels. I liked that so the sheet stays, but this is a matter of taste.

I only had this pad in the 105mm size as a leftover from my HF580 mods, so I haven't tested the 110mm size which has slightly different internal dimensions. Ordered one of those as well, should have it in a few weeks.
hey Fox!
when you ordered pads from them was 1 item a pair or do you have to order 2 to get the pair?
cheers!

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,309 of 1,409
hey Fox!
when you ordered pads from them was 1 item a pair or do you have to order 2 to get the pair?
cheers!

Hi, I've since ordered many pairs of those in different sizes and the price has always been for a pair.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #1,310 of 1,409
Hi, I've since ordered many pairs of those in different sizes and the price has always been for a pair.
thanks!! I assumed as much but then studio monitors got me thinking...
would you recommend 105mm or 110mm for the M1060Cs? consider I just got them and I have only now started looking into the mods (besides having already opened them, of course)

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #1,311 of 1,409
thanks!! I assumed as much but then studio monitors got me thinking...
would you recommend 105mm or 110mm for the M1060Cs? consider I just got them and I have only now started looking into the mods (besides having already opened them, of course)

I easily prefer and recommend 105mm installed in the rear offset position for smoother highs and (IMO) better bass with less high- and midbass and relatively more sub-bass. They are both good though.

This is how they measure on my modded M1060C.

105mmVS110mm.jpg

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,312 of 1,409
Hi, after some advice. Have owned a pair of m1060's for a few months now and enjoy them so managed to get the m1060c to complete the set. I am sure I have read a few time that the closed back headphones use a newer different driver than the m1060's but on opening up the covers the drivers are exactly the same. Says RE91 then a serial number underneath. Looking at all the photos on here yours say RE91 - 01.
Thanks

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,313 of 1,409
Hi, after some advice. Have owned a pair of m1060's for a few months now and enjoy them so managed to get the m1060c to complete the set. I am sure I have read a few time that the closed back headphones use a newer different driver than the m1060's but on opening up the covers the drivers are exactly the same. Says RE91 then a serial number underneath. Looking at all the photos on here yours say RE91 - 01.
Thanks
Did you get your M1060 brand new from Monoprice just this year? I wonder if they updated the drivers on the M1060 recently to match the ones they use on the M1060C?

Oct 25, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,314 of 1,409
Did you get your M1060 brand new from Monoprice just this year? I wonder if they updated the drivers on the M1060 recently to match the ones they use on the M1060C?
Yes bought them both from Monoprice in Germany from amazon. Wondering why mine say RE09 and not RE09 01. My thinking is that the RE09 01 would be the newer driver... also the cables are inside are black and white not red and white like all the pictures I have seen...

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,316 of 1,409
Hey Guys! How can I add some bass(quantity) to these headphones, without EQ? I'm opened it up, but I think it lacks some punch. Thanks!
Tuning planars is different from dynamic drivers. The bass isn't affected nearly as much by things like pads and backing material, tending to remain a flat line regardless. However, you can increase the perceived level of bass by dipping the frequencies above it. Below is the measurement of my M1060C modded to open with stock pads and closed with 1 foam disk and sheepskin Ori pads (it should be noted that you don't need Ori pads for this, it's just what I had on hand. Almost any genuine leather pad should have the same effect).
M1060C-Open-vs-Closed-Modded.jpg
As you can see when it's closed the dip from 300hz-1.5khz makes it sound like a bass boost to my ears. So, if you are looking for more bass I would actually recommend closing them back up and getting some leather pads. You could also make the effect more pronounced by adding some front dampening material (cotton, felt, etc.) to reduce the highs further, making them sound even warmer. Outside of that, there isn't much you can do to raise the bass levels outside of EQ.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,319 of 1,409
Hi all, would the Hifiman Comfort Headband (on the Sundara) fit the m1060c without much work doing?

Thanks!

t89deznrwrk41.jpg

Yes, that headband will work. As you can see from my earlier post HERE, other than the different color of the HE560v2 headbands I used on my 2 pair of M1060C, they are the same as the Sundara headband. You can use the pins that mount the current stock headband to mount the HFM headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back