Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jul 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,126 of 1,409
The Audeze headbands (with yokes) goes on the exact same way as the HiFiMan headbands. I've had the OG Audeze headband and newer suspension headband on an M1060. I just ended up preferring the comfort and fit of the HiFiMan headband to the Audeze. If you decide to go with the Audeze and end up finding a headband that doesn't have the yokes, you can buy THIS KIT to go along with your headband. But, you will need to cut the little piece of metal on the end of one side of each of the yokes that goes into the Audeze cups to prevent the driver from spinning. There isn't a space for it on the Monolith headphones. Good luck with the swap if you choose to go that route.

Big thanks for this link, haven't seen that kit for sale anywhere else. Managed to order one from their website. Now what's a good EU shop to order Audeze headbands from?

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,127 of 1,409
Has anyone done any mods to the wood cups to improve these as a closed headphone? Almost everything in this thread is about improving them as an open headphone. I'd like to keep mine closed and improve the highs a bit if possible. Has anyone removed the thick felt and foam pieces and dynamatted the inside of the cups?
Also you could try my advice up, very easy, it finally tilts the signature up on the highs. But I find it better with the balanced cable on a powerful, however this headphone seems to lack on treble a little :/

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,128 of 1,409
Yes. For example my posts #1032, #1092 and #1112. On the same page as the first of those is also a list of various mods compiled by charleski.
Thank you, I hadn't read far enough into the thread. I got up to around page 61 and decided to ask for help. I like the 1060c but as for the top end sparkle my Lawton modded Denon AH-D5000's just destroy them. My upper frequency hearing isn't what it used to be so I need a bit of boost in the top end if I can get it.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,129 of 1,409
Thank you, I hadn't read far enough into the thread. I got up to around page 61 and decided to ask for help. I like the 1060c but as for the top end sparkle my Lawton modded Denon AH-D5000's just destroy them. My upper frequency hearing isn't what it used to be so I need a bit of boost in the top end if I can get it.
Get something like the BBE sonic maximizer. It will do more for the treble sound than modding ime.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,130 of 1,409
Anyone got the bolt/screw sizes that are matched for the hex grills ? Just got mine printed up....cannot find my wood cup screws anywhere...

M5/M6 x ??mm........like that.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #1,131 of 1,409
P_20200808_134140.jpg
P_20200808_134133.jpg
P_20200808_134517.jpg

My M1060c's current form

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,132 of 1,409
Finally got a chance to get the HiFiMan headband painted on my modded M1060C's. Got some clear coat on my custom red oak grills as well. Looks like a cohesive unit now that there isn't a huge H and orange bands on the side.

When I first got the headband put on:
2020-05-31.jpg

When I got my grills cut:
2020-05-31 (1).jpg

Finished product:
2020-05-31 (3).jpg2020-05-31 (2).jpg
Any tips on how to remove the stock headband? I know there was a post someplace but cant' find it. I took the driver out and can see the little clip that holds the headband in place but how does it come out?

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,133 of 1,409
Any tips on how to remove the stock headband? I know there was a post someplace but cant' find it. I took the driver out and can see the little clip that holds the headband in place but how does it come out?

HERE is a post I made about the swap. You should use some detail tweezers and a small flat head screwdriver.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,134 of 1,409
HERE is a post I made about the swap. You should use some detail tweezers and a small flat head screwdriver.
thanks. I saw that they were e clips and was able to remove them with some needle nose pliers and an awl. There was a vid on youtube though the awl wasn't mentioned.

Sadly I have decided to replace the internal wiring while I am at it. So now this is a longer project. Wish me luck.

Aug 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #1,135 of 1,409
A HiFiMan headband is the type I have on both my M1060 and M1060C. It's much more comfortable than stock.
2020-05-16.jpg

How you do it is to remove the grills on the M1060 or wood cups on the M1060C, remove the foam behind the grills/cups, and then remove the tiny E-Clips as circled in THIS pic. There are E-clips on the inside that hold the pin to the cup, but there are also E-clips that hold the pins to the factory yokes that you will need to remove once you get the yokes separated from the cups. Be really careful, they are super tiny and you don't want to lose one of them. If you lose the E-clips, Amazon has a set of different clips HERE that have the correct size of clip. There are rubber grommets that the pins slide into that you want to leave in the cups for when you mount the HFM headband. But you'll need to shorten them by a small bit with a razor knife or scissors to allow the E-clips to go onto the pins with the HMF headband. The new headband is slightly thicker so you won't be using the second E-clips that hold the pins to the yokes, just the E-clips that hold the pins to the cups inside. THIS is the headband I bought. Good luck with the swap if you decide to do it.
I got the eclips but when I took off the ones on the yoke, the pin still stays in. Is there a trick? Thanks

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,137 of 1,409
You took off both E-clips on the pin? The one holding the pin inside the ear cup and the one holding the pin to the yoke?
I got it figured out. It was just in there really good. Some brute force with a plier got it out and flying across the room...fortunately it was findable.

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #1,138 of 1,409
You took off both E-clips on the pin? The one holding the pin inside the ear cup and the one holding the pin to the yoke?
this is quite comical. The yoke on the hifiman seems to be too thick and the e clip wont attach. Any thoughts?

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,139 of 1,409
this is quite comical. The yoke on the hifiman seems to be too thick and the e clip wont attach. Any thoughts?
looks like it will be ok with just one inside the cup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back