Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #1,111 of 1,409
Right I opened them up immediately. I do hear a lot of comparisons between 1060c (open) and LCD2. I guess they hold their own with that sound up into many multiples of their price. That's great. But I realize if they are comparable then maybe that particular sound signature just might not be for me... I havent tried any Audeze but would like to. They have so many models and variants though it would be hard to judge from just one or two maybe. Plus I'd need to have some solid time to adapt to the sound probably.

I just felt with the Sundara's they sounded more right when I put them on, besides a bit of harsh treble of course. But I'm mostly used to speakers, studio monitors, HD600 and DT880s and some IEMs like Etymotic; so make of that what you will.

When I got used to them I do love it and have less cons than pros, which I just can't say the same about the 1060c's. It's all subjective of course. But I wouldn't label any decently respected headphone as awful because of my impression of it. I just accept it isn't for me. Everyone has their house sound and I'm sure sundara has more similarities than differences with HFM's upper models and I dont hear too many complaints about sound with those.
if you still have the M1060c and if you opened them up removing the cups and foam, do add some dampening material like dynamat or just poster putty to the metal. That cleans them up a lot.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,112 of 1,409
With the 105mm pads however, these are easily my favorite headphones and there's nothing like them (see quoted post for details).
I did notice that the same shop has the same kind of pads also in pleather and velour top. Decided to order those in the 105mm size as well.

Ok, so those arrived and tried them on and measured them on my modded M1060Cs.

But first something more important. Since these are 105mm pads and the headphones are 110mm, there is more than one possible orientation to attach them.

I noticed that different orientations had a noticeable difference in sound and attaching them not centered but offset toward the read had the best sound - like this:

RearOffset.jpg

The difference was large enough to be measured and I did:

M1060C_Offsets.jpg

The rear offset has more sub-bass than midbass which is how I like it (not to mention it is more Harman-accurate so most people would probably prefer it this way).

Next up are the measurements from the different 105mm pad varieties from the Smart Watched store on Aliexpress (all with the oval shaped hole): The 105mm sheepskin, 105mm pleather and 105mm velour top (all with the rear offset mounting - and with the fabric sheet from the stock pads).

The 105mm sheepskin pads - that I had already measured - were easily the best. The velour tops had horrendous high-bass bloat that made them easily the worst. The pleather pads were second best, but they had less bass and treble quantity and quality than the sheepskins so they sounded a bit lifefess in comparison.

M1060C_Pad_Shootout2.jpg

So my recommendation goes to the 105mm sheepskin pads that can be found here --> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4b254c4dKu7KMw

Edit: Here's the link for the 105mm pleather pads as well: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057068576.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.18ec4c4dfKAlJI

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #1,113 of 1,409
Okay thanks! I've seen a few people use what was there and it held fine like yours. Did you happen to modify the strap? I've been looking at a few different ways to mod it, since I knew it was a pain on my pair of 1060 when I had them.

Haven't modified the headband. Comfort is ok for me but could use more clamping force for stability. I might try to install a Hifiman hybrid headband later as those have been confirmed earlier in the thread to fit on relatively easily. Haven't ever used that headband though. It'd be great to find some way to install an Audeze LCD headband.

Jul 11, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,114 of 1,409
Haven't modified the headband. Comfort is ok for me but could use more clamping force for stability. I might try to install a Hifiman hybrid headband later as those have been confirmed earlier in the thread to fit on relatively easily. Haven't ever used that headband though. It'd be great to find some way to install an Audeze LCD headband.

The Audeze headbands (with yokes) goes on the exact same way as the HiFiMan headbands. I've had the OG Audeze headband and newer suspension headband on an M1060. I just ended up preferring the comfort and fit of the HiFiMan headband to the Audeze. If you decide to go with the Audeze and end up finding a headband that doesn't have the yokes, you can buy THIS KIT to go along with your headband. But, you will need to cut the little piece of metal on the end of one side of each of the yokes that goes into the Audeze cups to prevent the driver from spinning. There isn't a space for it on the Monolith headphones. Good luck with the swap if you choose to go that route.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #1,115 of 1,409
Right I opened them up immediately. I do hear a lot of comparisons between 1060c (open) and LCD2. I guess they hold their own with that sound up into many multiples of their price. That's great. But I realize if they are comparable then maybe that particular sound signature just might not be for me... I havent tried any Audeze but would like to. They have so many models and variants though it would be hard to judge from just one or two maybe. Plus I'd need to have some solid time to adapt to the sound probably.

I just felt with the Sundara's they sounded more right when I put them on, besides a bit of harsh treble of course. But I'm mostly used to speakers, studio monitors, HD600 and DT880s and some IEMs like Etymotic; so make of that what you will.

When I got used to them I do love it and have less cons than pros, which I just can't say the same about the 1060c's. It's all subjective of course. But I wouldn't label any decently respected headphone as awful because of my impression of it. I just accept it isn't for me. Everyone has their house sound and I'm sure sundara has more similarities than differences with HFM's upper models and I dont hear too many complaints about sound with those.
Sorry you're not into them. And thanks for saying so in a way that respects the opinions of those who do like them (like me).

It's so funny though, how all this turns out differently for each of us. I'm a fellow 600 lover, and know exactly what you mean about the layers, and also how the overall tonality of a driver sounds immediately right or wrong. In contrast to your experience with the M1060C, I in fact did have that Wow! first reaction. Their tonality, the balance, the clarity, stage . . . all of it. It took me a week or so before I started hearing anything to really criticize/nitpick, even while directly comparing to my favorites. As I said above, even now, months later, when I do eq them (which isn't always) it's never more than about a 2.5dB cut in few spots.

But I also wanted to respond to the comparison with the LCD2. I was so excited about the sound of the M1060C when I first got them that I almost immediately ordered a set of LCD2C (Classics), thinking that if I liked these cheap planars then I'd probably flip my lid over a decent set of planars. But I was very disappointed. I didn't like the Audeze's at all. They were almost the opposite sound actually: muffled mids coupled with relatively sparkly highs that together just sounded odd to me. I did rather like the low end though (and the build is killer -- probably the best feeling in the hand of any headphones I've ever held). But again, you just never know how you're going to react to something.

Last thing: you talked about the Sundara. I've never heard those, but after sending back the LCD2C, I still had the itch to find a higher end set of planars to my liking and decided to try the Ananda. Talk about Wow! reaction -- almost instant chemistry! I'm only about six weeks or so in and still in the honeymoon, but I'm really wild about these. At first i was a little concerned about them maybe having too much sparkle but after burn in (both for me and the drivers) I have settled on shaving a little off the top about half of the time, but only just a little and I really would still be very happy not doing that if it weren't easy to do. Anyway I almost always reach for these first now, despite my enduring love for my HD600 and Clears.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,116 of 1,409
So I have a new addition that would allow you to use any pad with the hot swap system I came up with. Not every pad has a hard backing, a lot of them just have the stretchy rubber boot. All you need is a razer and a thin cheap cutting board. Only 10 Bucks for 6 Sheets

I bought some Sheepskin 108mm pads off Aliexpress before the US Covid19 Lockdown.Sheepskin108mm They took two months to receive, but I got them. They did not have a stiff backing like the Dekoni pads. I used some cheap cutting board sheet to give the pads a stiff backing. I cut them to size, rolled the pads onto the cutouts, then applied the Airstick. I used multiple small pieces of airstick, instead of ordering another sheet. It works fine. I really like these Sheepskin pads. They are my favorite. They are not as hot as the stock pads, and sounds just as good. If you don't have an AC on a lot, you might want to stick to the Elite Velour or Vegan pads, but you'll lose out on the bass and sound isolation.

Attachments

• DSC03831.JPG
    DSC03831.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03832.JPG
    DSC03832.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC03833.JPG
    DSC03833.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #1,117 of 1,409
Had a quick listen to a pair of Verum for a friend, still prefer 1060c...Verum just that dash brighter up top that would fatigue me with long listening sessions.
I feel 1060c has better texture, Verums a nudge more micro-detail.
4-month wait, and not too nice service by PM when I just asked if the set had maybe got lost in the post.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,118 of 1,409
So I have a new addition that would allow you to use any pad with the hot swap system I came up with. Not every pad has a hard backing, a lot of them just have the stretchy rubber boot. All you need is a razer and a thin cheap cutting board. Only 10 Bucks for 6 Sheets

I bought some Sheepskin 108mm pads off Aliexpress before the US Covid19 Lockdown.Sheepskin108mm They took two months to receive, but I got them. They did not have a stiff backing like the Dekoni pads. I used some cheap cutting board sheet to give the pads a stiff backing. I cut them to size, rolled the pads onto the cutouts, then applied the Airstick. I used multiple small pieces of airstick, instead of ordering another sheet. It works fine. I really like these Sheepskin pads. They are my favorite. They are not as hot as the stock pads, and sounds just as good. If you don't have an AC on a lot, you might want to stick to the Elite Velour or Vegan pads, but you'll lose out on the bass and sound isolation.
3rd photo reminds me of Ether C/X !

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #1,119 of 1,409
M565C as a complement to the 1060c is a pretttttty under-rated headphone....got them the other day from Netherlands.
Surprised it never got more traction.
Mods...remove very thick felt on top of thinner felt outer driver side...cups back on. Much better separation, and imaging....some crazy holographics at times with good mastering...does not have that very noticeable mids suck and treble spike that planars get when cups go on a planar disc that is essentially tuned for open-back like 1060c...not perfect...but I'll be keeping cups on them.
You do lose some of the isolation in and out though. Sound pretty balanced to me now....probably stand up to Aoen 2 closed after some further tuning/dialing.
Better microdetail and upper-end treble than 1060C to my ears anyway....for those that crave more on the top-end.
Have different pads on the way.
Going to try a bit of sorbothane around interior area of cups...still has 2 bits of stock sponge in the cups. Audeze use a full half disk of foam in their cups plus felt on top but on the cup, not the driver. Maybe seal the outer oval with foam around where the cup meets to frame to reduce sound leakage in/out...but still let them breathe a bit more.
Not as meaty/visceral/full-bodied in low-end as 1060c open-back but they still do reach down low in the subs...it's no slouch in its on tuning/'own thing'....= a steal for the discounted price.

Edit : no issue with the connectors as that was an issue before.

Forgot to say, I put the largest sponge disc from 1060C behind the velcro earpads also.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,120 of 1,409
M565C as a complement to the 1060c is a pretttttty under-rated headphone....got them the other day from Netherlands.
Surprised it never got more traction.
Mods...remove very thick felt on top of thinner felt outer driver side...cups back on. Much better separation, and imaging....some crazy holographics at times with good mastering...does not have that very noticeable mids suck and treble spike that planars get when cups go on a planar disc that is essentially tuned for open-back like 1060c...not perfect...but I'll be keeping cups on them.
You do lose some of the isolation in and out though. Sound pretty balanced to me now....probably stand up to Aoen 2 closed after some further tuning/dialing.
Better microdetail and upper-end treble than 1060C to my ears anyway....for those that crave more on the top-end.
Have different pads on the way.
Going to try a bit of sorbothane around interior area of cups...still has 2 bits of stock sponge in the cups. Audeze use a full half disk of foam in their cups plus felt on top but on the cup, not the driver. Maybe seal the outer oval with foam around where the cup meets to frame to reduce sound leakage in/out...but still let them breathe a bit more.
Not as meaty/visceral/full-bodied in low-end as 1060c open-back but they still do reach down low in the subs...it's no slouch in its on tuning/'own thing'....= a steal for the discounted price.

Edit : no issue with the connectors as that was an issue before.

Forgot to say, I put the largest sponge disc from 1060C behind the velcro earpads also.

I find the M565C interesting too. I even started an impressions thread about those but nobody posted there.
My mod for them also involves removing part of the stock damping and changing earpads.

And there are ways to get strong sub-bass from these too.

M565C_Bass_s.jpg

Red is stock, green is with the mod I posted into that thread and blue is the best result I got so far. Will post more about that after having tested some more different pads. But maybe this is off topic already.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,122 of 1,409
Guys you have to try this, M1060 closed, with all 3 small foam removed, and just one screw removed, the one in below in-front. I tried all possible screws combination, but this is by far the best, also,Can you then report if it's good even to you, or wrong? Maybe with one foam the sound is better/less resonating? I find the in front-imaging gets better, also finally the sounds are more tighter instead of big fat like M1060c can only, better soundstage and bass finally too gets lowered. My god, for me M1060c open and closed has too much bass, treble is lower quantity and quality, that's why i might sell it, not my cup of tea, absolutely. But with my 'mod' it's getting better. But maybe too much resonance? Anyway, try it out please, I think it is interesting to try :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,124 of 1,409
Has anyone done any mods to the wood cups to improve these as a closed headphone? Almost everything in this thread is about improving them as an open headphone. I'd like to keep mine closed and improve the highs a bit if possible. Has anyone removed the thick felt and foam pieces and dynamatted the inside of the cups?

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,125 of 1,409
Has anyone done any mods to the wood cups to improve these as a closed headphone? Almost everything in this thread is about improving them as an open headphone. I'd like to keep mine closed and improve the highs a bit if possible. Has anyone removed the thick felt and foam pieces and dynamatted the inside of the cups?

Yes. For example my posts #1032, #1092 and #1112. On the same page as the first of those is also a list of various mods compiled by charleski.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back