Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Feb 27, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #152 of 1,409
Mine arrived this morning. Initial impressions are favorable, but I can't really A/B these things until I let them air out, they have a chemical smell out of the box. They are really beautiful, color is more like Purple Hearts than just dark.

]

is the chemical smell on the earpads mostly?

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #155 of 1,409
It is all over really, mostly the case stinks. I cleaned my headphones thoroughly and then let them air out separate from the case for a couple hours and the smell was almost gone.

Thanks for the info. Noted. Case will be going in storage anyway, I have no need for that behemoth.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #156 of 1,409
The smell is mainly from the foam in the ear pads. It’s called off gassing. Exact same smell I had with my matteress. Pads need to be compressed and decompress so it realeases the gas from when they were made.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #157 of 1,409
Thanks for the info. Noted. Case will be going in storage anyway, I have no need for that behemoth.

Yeah, that thing is a massive hat box, lol. I put mine from both headphones into the box and put the boxes away. I'll never use them.

The smell is mainly from the foam in the ear pads. It’s called off gassing. Exact same smell I had with my matteress. Pads need to be compressed and decompress so it realeases the gas from when they were made.

I also think a good bit is coming from the foam used in the case that outlines the headphones.

Feb 27, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #158 of 1,409
I have some Brazinwavz Sheepkin XL earpads I got just last week on sale for $33 shipped. not angled, but I think I might put them on this can anyway. who knows what cheap crap monoprice is using in those foams. probably going to give us cancer have 20+ sweat sessions of it seeping into our skin over time, lol

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #159 of 1,409
Eh, the stock pads are so good that I wouldn't worry about. The smell goes away after a week.

Also the pads are adhered and peeling them off makes it hard to stick them back on due to the felt inside the earcup covering up half of the adhesive ring.

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #160 of 1,409
Im also tempted to get some eikon pads but dont want to mess with the sound, these things just sound so amazing. Currently listening to some Deadmau5 on them and these things just keep amazing me. The bass is fantastic, not too over powering but it is so there and hitting just right. The more music I throw at them the more I love them.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #161 of 1,409
Im also tempted to get some eikon pads but dont want to mess with the sound, these things just sound so amazing. Currently listening to some Deadmau5 on them and these things just keep amazing me. The bass is fantastic, not too over powering but it is so there and hitting just right. The more music I throw at them the more I love them.

How would you rate your cans when it comes to preference? Also versus T50RP MK3?

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #162 of 1,409
Before i got my m1060c, it was m560 above all, the fostex are great after modding them but i feel my sound blaster ae-5 barely had enough power to push em. My ad700x with vmoda boompro is still my goto for gaming. I dont think any thing will rellace those. But now, the m1060c's blow away all my music headphones, the m560's still have slightly better imaging and sound stage and by far the best build quality besides the new pads that come with em.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #163 of 1,409
I was gonna hold off for more impressions before trying them, but I decided to just buy it anyway.

I hate these; they sound hilariously bad to me.

Okay, they’re not “throw it in the garbage” bad. The bass extends low and has some really nice rumble, which the M1060 never had to me so that’s cool. It’s kinda muddy but not any muddier than like an HD650, and it can actually get to 20Hz. So that’s the neat.

But wow this midrange. I like Grados, but this, this sounds so much harsher and shouty to me than any of the like ten Grados I’ve owned in my life. There’s a definite rise in the 1-2k region. Normally this sounds really artificial to me, like it does in Grados, the HD600, etc. A rise there just sounds weird but it does bring forward vocals and instruments, so it can be done intentionally. But this combines that already artificially forward sound with really, really bad timbre. The Ether C has one of the worst timbres I’ve ever heard in a headphone at any price and while this isn’t that bad, it’s pretty close. It’s more artificial than the ~$100 closed headphones I can think of like the M50X, DT770, etc. The low midrange sounds very dipped too, which is what happened when I tried closing my M1060, so that’s not surprising. The treble isn’t nearly as bad though. They have some harshness ~9-10k and lack presence, but that’s hardly audible under the screaming midrange.

I took some measurements with my flat plate coupler (which does have its problems with FR so I’m trying to move away from it) and my EARS.

FR:
U9cOCra.png

Basically confirms what I heard with the low mid dip and upper midrange lift. It’s less raised than I thought it would be but I’m guessing the low mid dip and dipped low treble just accentuate it. If you draw a line connecting ~500Hz to 3kHz, you’ll a really nice 5dB rise in 1-2kHz which would explain why this sounds so shouty. I don’t quite hear such an extreme presence dip, but I also can’t really hear much other than bass and shout. Also, for completeness I measured these before burning in and will remeasure after. I have zero expectation anything will change but I know people will tell me to do it anyway so I’m doing it because it requires very little extra effort.

CSD:

067KpwS.png

I don’t really wanna use these because of how jank my rig is, but you can at least compare to the M1060 which had similar conditions. In fairness to the M1060C it doesn’t quite sound like the same ringing; most planar headphones measure with an “ortho wall” like this and it isn’t audible, though honestly I can’t tell if it’s that which is making the midrange so awful to me or just how the driver is.

I can’t recommend these from my first impressions; they’re hilariously unpleasant to listen to music with unless you literally only listen to bass. Full review next week?

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #164 of 1,409
I was gonna hold off for more impressions before trying them, but I decided to just buy it anyway.

I hate these; they sound hilariously bad to me.

Okay, they’re not “throw it in the garbage” bad. The bass extends low and has some really nice rumble, which the M1060 never had to me so that’s cool. It’s kinda muddy but not any muddier than like an HD650, and it can actually get to 20Hz. So that’s the neat.

But wow this midrange. I like Grados, but this, this sounds so much harsher and shouty to me than any of the like ten Grados I’ve owned in my life. There’s a definite rise in the 1-2k region. Normally this sounds really artificial to me, like it does in Grados, the HD600, etc. A rise there just sounds weird but it does bring forward vocals and instruments, so it can be done intentionally. But this combines that already artificially forward sound with really, really bad timbre. The Ether C has one of the worst timbres I’ve ever heard in a headphone at any price and while this isn’t that bad, it’s pretty close. It’s more artificial than the ~$100 closed headphones I can think of like the M50X, DT770, etc. The low midrange sounds very dipped too, which is what happened when I tried closing my M1060, so that’s not surprising. The treble isn’t nearly as bad though. They have some harshness ~9-10k and lack presence, but that’s hardly audible under the screaming midrange.

I took some measurements with my flat plate coupler (which does have its problems with FR so I’m trying to move away from it) and my EARS.

FR:

Basically confirms what I heard with the low mid dip and upper midrange lift. It’s less raised than I thought it would be but I’m guessing the low mid dip and dipped low treble just accentuate it. If you draw a line connecting ~500Hz to 3kHz, you’ll a really nice 5dB rise in 1-2kHz which would explain why this sounds so shouty. I don’t quite hear such an extreme presence dip, but I also can’t really hear much other than bass and shout. Also, for completeness I measured these before burning in and will remeasure after. I have zero expectation anything will change but I know people will tell me to do it anyway so I’m doing it because it requires very little extra effort.

CSD:

I don’t really wanna use these because of how jank my rig is, but you can at least compare to the M1060 which had similar conditions. In fairness to the M1060C it doesn’t quite sound like the same ringing; most planar headphones measure with an “ortho wall” like this and it isn’t audible, though honestly I can’t tell if it’s that which is making the midrange so awful to me or just how the driver is.

I can’t recommend these from my first impressions; they’re hilariously unpleasant to listen to music with unless you literally only listen to bass. Full review next week?

I think my high level tube amp will help fix some of those issues. So I am not too worried. Looking forward to hearing them. I often say: every headphone that exists is good if you pair it with the right amp.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #165 of 1,409
I think my high level tube amp will help fix some of those issues. So I am not too worried. Looking forward to hearing them. I often say: every headphone that exists is good if you pair it with the right amp.

What tube amp? I'm using a Cavalli EHHA and Clarity Cap upgraded Bottlehead SEX with C4S. I don't think an amp will fix it though; if an amp "fixes" this headphone by taming the upper midrange, it must also tame the upper midrange for other headphones, which would make it fundamentally broken to me because that's the last thing many headphones, like the HD800, need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back