Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #137 of 1,409
Well, that was fun while it lasted....

Some people have reported channel imbalance, so I downmixed to mono and tested. Everything good -- dead center image.

But then, in the middle of a song, the right channel suddenly dropped to maybe 30% volume. And that's where it is right now. The problem is not the cable. Switched cables and same issue.

Seems to be a similar build quality story as the original 1060s (I was an early adopter, there, too, with the cracking wood and terrible mmcx connectors).

So, here's the question... replace now, or return for refund and wait until M1060C v2 comes out?

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #138 of 1,409

Some people have reported channel imbalance, so I downmixed to mono and tested. Everything good -- dead center image.

But then, in the middle of a song, the right channel suddenly dropped to maybe 30% volume. And that's where it is right now. The problem is not the cable. Switched cables and same issue.

Seems to be a similar build quality story as the original 1060s (I was an early adopter, there, too, with the cracking wood and terrible mmcx connectors).

So, here's the question... replace now, or return for refund and wait until M1060C v2 comes out?
I can't speak from personal experience on this particular item but from what people are saying (and how I approach other items) I'd say wait til V2 as there could be more/other QC issues people haven't experienced yet. That's what I'll do on these anyway.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #139 of 1,409

go for v2

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #140 of 1,409

I have also had the right channel drop in volume by a significant amount, although that never happened during playback. Usually you can kick it back to proper levels by pushing the volume up and coming back down.

I just got a prepaid label for my RMA so we'll see how the replacement is.

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #141 of 1,409
I have also had the right channel drop in volume by a significant amount, although that never happened during playback. Usually you can kick it back to proper levels by pushing the volume up and coming back down..

That worked....(!) Back to absolutely no difference in the two channels. What's the explanation?

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #142 of 1,409
I have no idea. I was already going to RMA my pair because of a channel imbalance so I just tried a bunch of things and that fixed it every time.

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #144 of 1,409
lolHmm, might refuse my order upon delivery... even though I got it for $263... Monoprice quality control just is not very good. Better just save up for a more well known brand I think. My dream headphones are the ZMF Eikon, little out of my price range though haha

these quality control issues are scaring me heh

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #146 of 1,409
lolHmm, might refuse my order upon delivery... even though I got it for $263... Monoprice quality control just is not very good. Better just save up for a more well known brand I think. My dream headphones are the ZMF Eikon, little out of my price range though haha

these quality control issues are scaring me heh

If you get buyers remorse pm me :)

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #147 of 1,409
Mine arrived this morning. Initial impressions are favorable, but I can't really A/B these things until I let them air out, they have a chemical smell out of the box. They are really beautiful, color is more like Purple Hearts than just dark.

20180227_100853.jpg 20180227_100941.jpg 20180227_101010.jpg 20180227_101037.jpg

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #148 of 1,409
lolHmm, might refuse my order upon delivery... even though I got it for $263... Monoprice quality control just is not very good.

You get 30 days to try them and they also come with a 5 year warranty. Even if you did have issues, they seem to be quick to fix things. If nothing else just give them one production run and they'll have things sorted out.

*knock on wood* I have yet to have any issues and have had them on my head or on a burn-in station nearly constantly since i got them last week.

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #149 of 1,409
You get 30 days to try them and they also come with a 5 year warranty. Even if you did have issues, they seem to be quick to fix things. If nothing else just give them one production run and they'll have things sorted out.

*knock on wood* I have yet to have any issues and have had them on my head or on a burn-in station nearly constantly since i got them last week.
If you happen to knock a little too hard on the wood and it splits, let us know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back