MoeDawg is recovering like a champ!
Jan 8, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #61 of 92
Hey @krismusic, it was very nice to meet you in London - I remember when we met!

I’m definitely not out of the woods yet, as I am not medically cleared to fly, drive or work yet, but I am happy with regards to the mobility and cognitive progress that I have made at the rehabilitation centers and as each day goes on. I was asked by a friend’s brother today if I can go back to wrestling; I’m not going to go fully into it for a while, but it was nice to “pummel” with an Occupational Therapist for a bit last week! I taught a PE class to the participants last week, and I’m looking forward to teaching a bit more tomorrow! This morning my wife and I walked (with slight jogging) from Hermosa to Manhattan Beach piers (around 6 miles) and will be grateful to play Just Dance 2018 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the family, hopefully today.

We want to not only make a return trip to CanJam London later this year, but also a return trip to the hospital in Frankfurt to personally give our thanks to the doctors, surgeons and staff there.

P.S. The MRI with contrast (longest scan in my life, took over an hour!) did not find any cranial bleeding, thank GOD.

Much love, and looking forward to seeing you and others there!
Great to hear about the scan Moe!

I had to miss CanJam London last year, but will try to make up for that this year and really hope to see you there as well! :beerchug:

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #62 of 92
Hey everyone,

Here’s an update to my life as of late:

Three weeks ago, I finished my final rehabilitation therapy that I went to in Long Beach.

I will be going to outpatient therapy in the near future to work on my vestibular balance and I’ll be evaluated if I can drive. I believe that I can. I currently take Ubers everywhere, so it’s pretty fun with regards to the conversations I get into during most of the rides.

I have been cleared to go to the gym and wrestle; and I have been going to the gym and wrestling (only drilling so far) on Tuesday and Friday evenings for the past few months.

All thorough MRI scans (some with contrast) have been perfect, with no additional cranial bleeding and/or abnormalities.

After my latest MRI, my neurosurgeon cleared me to ride rollercoasters and fly in airplanes! Very happy with the clearance, for sure.

I have attended a local meet at The Source AV a few weeks ago, and plan to attend this year’s CanJam SoCal April 7th and 8th. It will be nice to meet those who can attend the event!

I will then return to my job as a physical education teacher on the 9th (the next Monday).

My wife has been going through some issues, such as needing a surgery for her abscess (draining of fluid) due to a tooth extraction gone terribly awry a few weeks ago, but I’m happy that not only she is okay and recovering herself, but the fact that I was there for her in the hospital for five days, being independent myself.

My mother has also been going through issues herself, as she is still in the hospital due to her asthma and bronchitis - it has been difficult for her to move, let alone breathe. I hope she can change her life in a more healthy fashion, because quite literally, her life depends on it.

Today my daughter went to Urgent Care because she wasn’t breathing very well, but I’m happy to report that she is doing splendidly as the hours go by. Her picture is posted on my Instagram.

Also, I uploaded a post that said and showed this:

From not being able to walk or walk up stairs after the brain surgeries to this... #braintumor #recovery #blessed #letsgogetit #motivation #inspiration #stairs #wrestling

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgsgR2IB5GA/?hl=en

Feel free to add me as I’ll be uploading hopefully inspiring posts in the future.

Thanks again to those who have read this, and I truly hope you stay blessed and are inspired to make the most of your life.

Much Love,
Maurice

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #63 of 92
That's an update we all like to hear! Keep it up. Sorry to hear about your family woes - hope they recover swiftly as well!

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #64 of 92
Also glad you could get back to wrestling. I'm in my 2nd year of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and it became an essential part of my well-being - both mental and physical. Can't imagine my life without it anymore.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #65 of 92
Hey everyone,

Here’s an update to my life as of late:

Three weeks ago, I finished my final rehabilitation therapy that I went to in Long Beach.

I will be going to outpatient therapy in the near future to work on my vestibular balance and I’ll be evaluated if I can drive. I believe that I can. I currently take Ubers everywhere, so it’s pretty fun with regards to the conversations I get into during most of the rides.

I have been cleared to go to the gym and wrestle; and I have been going to the gym and wrestling (only drilling so far) on Tuesday and Friday evenings for the past few months.

All thorough MRI scans (some with contrast) have been perfect, with no additional cranial bleeding and/or abnormalities.

After my latest MRI, my neurosurgeon cleared me to ride rollercoasters and fly in airplanes! Very happy with the clearance, for sure.

I have attended a local meet at The Source AV a few weeks ago, and plan to attend this year’s CanJam SoCal April 7th and 8th. It will be nice to meet those who can attend the event!

I will then return to my job as a physical education teacher on the 9th (the next Monday).

My wife has been going through some issues, such as needing a surgery for her abscess (draining of fluid) due to a tooth extraction gone terribly awry a few weeks ago, but I’m happy that not only she is okay and recovering herself, but the fact that I was there for her in the hospital for five days, being independent myself.

My mother has also been going through issues herself, as she is still in the hospital due to her asthma and bronchitis - it has been difficult for her to move, let alone breathe. I hope she can change her life in a more healthy fashion, because quite literally, her life depends on it.

Today my daughter went to Urgent Care because she wasn’t breathing very well, but I’m happy to report that she is doing splendidly as the hours go by. Her picture is posted on my Instagram.

Also, I uploaded a post that said and showed this:

From not being able to walk or walk up stairs after the brain surgeries to this... #braintumor #recovery #blessed #letsgogetit #motivation #inspiration #stairs #wrestling

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgsgR2IB5GA/?hl=en

Feel free to add me as I’ll be uploading hopefully inspiring posts in the future.

Thanks again to those who have read this, and I truly hope you stay blessed and are inspired to make the most of your life.

Much Love,
Maurice

Oh, that is great to hear. I especially like that feeling-from experience-that one gets when they're able to be there for someone else, as you are for your family members. The prayer of St. Francis comes to mind.
Anyway, it's great to hear you're ready to go back to work. Keep it up, and the best to you from now on.

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #66 of 92
@moedawg140 great to see your recovery continues to go well. Sorry to hear your family members are also experiencing health issues and at the same time.

Your courage is inspiring. It's one reason why I still frequent Head-Fi despite recently losing my home due to life-long health issues.

Mar 28, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #68 of 92
@moedawg140 great to see your recovery continues to go well. Sorry to hear your family members are also experiencing health issues and at the same time.

Your courage is inspiring. It's one reason why I still frequent Head-Fi despite recently losing my home due to life-long health issues.
Sorry to read of your troubles.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #71 of 92
Mo, I am over the moon for you, that you have made such a stunning recovery. Truly, I am.

However, I'm going to say what I suspect quite a few of us may be thinking, but may be too embarrassed to publicly admit (and if I was saying this verbally, I assure you, you'd be hearing it in a soft, friendly voice):

I think you're nuts to continue wrestling, after what you've been through, rather than counting your blessings and moving on to a safer pursuit.

It's not a matter of 'Right' or 'Wrong'. Not at all.

It's just a matter of 'wise' or 'risky'.

On the other hand, I can respect you for having the courage to 'get back on the horse'.

Whichever path you eventually decide, I wish you continued good health and happiness, and the same to your family
cheers beerchug EMOTICON.gif

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #72 of 92
Was really worried, Maurice...about your total health but also about your ability to train/play/compete. This means so much to you.

SO HAPPY you are making such a recovery and a good part of it must be the great shape you were in before this happened, your super positive attitude, and your fighting spirit!

Please keep getting well...

Best,
Christian

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #73 of 92
That's an update we all like to hear! Keep it up. Sorry to hear about your family woes - hope they recover swiftly as well!

Thanks, and will do. I'll be continuing to pray for my family.

Also glad you could get back to wrestling. I'm in my 2nd year of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and it became an essential part of my well-being - both mental and physical. Can't imagine my life without it anymore.

I've loved to wrestle, as I've done it for most of my life (over twenty-one years). Good on you for finding an entirely positive outlet in the form of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu! Side-note, I think Brian Ortega (from Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fame) has a great chance to defeat Max Holloway at their championship fight.

Oh, that is great to hear. I especially like that feeling-from experience-that one gets when they're able to be there for someone else, as you are for your family members. The prayer of St. Francis comes to mind.
Anyway, it's great to hear you're ready to go back to work. Keep it up, and the best to you from now on.

It has been nice to lend a hand when I can, but life can be a constant fight against yourself. Thanks for the kind words, and I'll be continuing to pray for my family.

Thank you, @gr8soundz , the words are much appreciated. I totally understand where you are coming from, and I'll be continuing to pray for you, as well.

Great news about your recovery Mo. Sorry to hear that stuff keeps getting thrown at your family to deal with.

Thanks for the comments, @krismusic . Hopefully all will be well with the family - I'll continue to pray for them.

@moedawg140 Congratulations on your amazing progress! You are very blessed. I hope that the rest of your family fully recovers in the very near future. I'm glad you can be there for them.

Thanks for the kind words, @auricgoldfinger ! I will keep praying for my family as well.

Glad to hear you at least are on the mend moedowg. Best wishes to you and your family

Thanks, @HungryPanda , your words are much appreciated.

I'm on my way to the hospital to see my mother now (via Uber).

Mo, I am over the moon for you, that you have made such a stunning recovery. Truly, I am.

However, I'm going to say what I suspect quite a few of us may be thinking, but may be too embarrassed to publicly admit (and if I was saying this verbally, I assure you, you'd be hearing it in a soft, friendly voice):

I think you're nuts to continue wrestling, after what you've been through, rather than counting your blessings and moving on to a safer pursuit.

It's not a matter of 'Right' or 'Wrong'. Not at all.

It's just a matter of 'wise' or 'risky'.

On the other hand, I can respect you for having the courage to 'get back on the horse'.

Whichever path you eventually decide, I wish you continued good health and happiness, and the same to your family

I agree with what you are saying - actually my own high school wrestling coach has suggested that I stop wrestling. I have had multiple surguries during the years (knee, shoulder, et cetera), and nothing has been as taxing on the body as the brain (the lungs and heart are quite comparable, in my opinion). Why would I want to wrestle, let alone compete at the World Championships? I do not expect many to agree with me, but here are a couple:

1. Because I am told that I will not or should not wrestle again. I want to and will defy sheer logic and reasoning.

2. I am quite competitive. Just like I fought for my life during the craniotomy and ventriculostomy, I will fight for my life during recovery and future competition as well.

When my neurosurgeon wanted me to ask him to clear me to full-out wrestle live, I refused, telling him: "No, no no. I am only drilling for now, only going about half speed and strength. When it comes closer to competing time in two years, I will then request to go full strength."

I am giving my body time to heal by walking around 8 miles a day, yoga with meditating every night, playing the app Lumosity, eating as healthy as possible, and living my life to the fullest each day. I'll be praying that all will go well during this process.

Was really worried, Maurice...about your total health but also about your ability to train/play/compete. This means so much to you.

SO HAPPY you are making such a recovery and a good part of it must be the great shape you were in before this happened, your super positive attitude, and your fighting spirit!

Please keep getting well...

Best,
Christian

Hey Christian!

You are absolutely correct; I was worried about all aspects of my life, including my ability to compete. Yes, wrestling does mean a lot to me. When I tore my labrum in 2008, I wasn't able to use my arm when I tried out for the 2008 Olympic Team (Bejing). It took me a year after the surgery in 2009 to regain the strength in my arm.

I am super blessed to have made a recovery, and I am still healing. I wouldn't want to debate you that at least certain keys to my recovery were due to my shape, positivity, and fighting spirit. It is all about staying positive and optimistic for the future - I adamantly feel you can not be sad or depressed when there may be terrible times in your life. You can, and it's only healthy, but I take each dark time as a road block, and looking for solutions to make sure everything works out as planned. These days, when a person says negative statements to me such as "Sorry, we don't have that food/flavor in the back", or "Sorry, we don't have that size you would like", I respond with "Awesome!" A lot of times they will give me a weird look, like "Is this guy really happy, oooooooooook!?" I personally feel you shouldn't be worried about the small-stuff - there are much more issues in the world to worry about over frivolous matters, in my opinion.

I will continue to get better in all aspects of my life. Much love to you!

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #74 of 92
Love to your family Maurice. You have great inner strength to be admired. Cheers Andrew

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #75 of 92
Love to your family Maurice. You have great inner strength to be admired. Cheers Andrew
Thank you for the words, Andrew, they are very much appreciated.

Cheers, my friend. :beerchug: :flag_gb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back