MoeDawg is recovering like a champ!
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

Stillhart

CanJam@RMAF 2015 Karting Champion
EDIT 3/28/2018 - I changed the thread title since Maurice is recovering well! Thanks to everyone for their support!

https://www.gofundme.com/maurice-and-suzzettes-medical-fund

Hi all,

I just saw on Facebook that @moedawg140 is in Intensive Care at a hospital in Germany after falling ill at a wrestling match in Bulgaria. It seems he and his family need some help covering medical costs. Moe is a good friend and a great community member. I thought I'd post the link here just to see if anyone else could spare a little to help him out.

Either way, my thoughts are with him and his family. Hope you get well soon, Moe!

Text of the link is below:

"While attending a wrestling match in Bulgaria Maurice began to experience a severe headache. Suzette took him to the ER where they did a CT scan and found a 2cm bleed in Maurice brain. The hospital in Bulgaria was unable to provide the level of care Maurice needed, therefore he was transferred to another hospital in Frankfurt Germany. They repeated a CT scan and found out the bleed was worse and found an aneurysm as well. Maurice is now in ICU and will need to undergo surgery. Suzette is by his side scared and alone , while their one year old daughter Ingrid waits for them to come home. To top things off Suzette's and Maurice luggage was lost in the airport as well. Anything you can donate will help them. Let's keep them in our prayers so they can return home safe to their family. Thanks"

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 92
His wife posted this on FB yesterday:

"Dear Family (at this point, we are all family now),
Update on Maurice Washington’s condition: 3rd day post op and he is opening his eyes so wide for the first time. He is more awake and lucid today. He is oriented to name, month, year, place and his long term memory is great. Working on short term. Pressure is still being monitored as well as the fluid drained from his brain. He is in ICU. He continues to have a NGT but he was able to have caramel pudding today and he loved it. He still wants ramen though. He didn’t complain of pain. He is able to squeeze my hands and wiggle his toes. But he is still too weak to lift his legs. He knows Mom Debra Dawson is here and I am at his side. Everyday is a miracle. He is so grateful for all the prayers, positive thoughts and the donations. He would cry telling me how grateful he is t everyone. He loves everybody and we will keep #MoeStrong"

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 92
any updates ?

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 92
The last update on the fundraiser was a few days ago:

"Maurice is having a good recovery from his surgery he is now eating solids he will need physical therapy and occupational therapy "

Hope it continues like this and that the therapies work well for him!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 92
Just was in touch with @moedawg140 a bit today...he will try to update you all soon!

He is still having a lot of difficulty walking and is still in Frankfurt, Germany.

He is hoping to be able to travel home this week. He clearly has a ways to go to get better but he is still himself!

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 92
Hey family,

Firstly I’d like to say thanks to Dan@Stillhart for the original post and for the Head-Fi team for pinning it at the top, I’m very appreciative for your efforts!

Everything was great in Denver during RMAF, but when I got to Bulgaria to wrestle at the world championships, that was when things started to go downhill. The very first night wasn’t fun as the food wasn’t tasty and losing weight for the meet hurt me more than anything else. I developed a severe headache and vomited all night and morning. The MRT/CT scan found a bleed in my brain with a rare tumor that needed to be taken out of my brain. My hearing was temporarily gone and I may have needed a spinal tap during the surgery as well.

After brain surgery
ACCD494C-DDDF-42D8-A3E9-459D53D862E5.jpeg

92634DDA-C245-4DDF-BD82-2F8265734CFE.jpeg

Surgery went wonderfully, but post op days weren’t the best. A few days after during hanging out in a cafe at the Frankfurt Hospital I experienced my first seizure. I blacked out and it scared the crud out of my mom, wife and I. Hopefully I won’t be having those in the future! For me, I’m literally starting from the beginning it seems. I’m moving, walking and taking time with everything so far. TMI - It’s even nice to be able to use a diaper these days! Happy I’m finally back to my underwear! I’m going to be leaving for the states on Wednesday and will start rehabilitation just south of where I live in a couple of days. Happy to be able to get my luggage back at some point, and make sure that Ingrid will get well from her sickness. I’ll be doing PT, OT, work on walking, ping pong, strength training, wrestling, and hopefully get back to teaching the kids in the near future!

It brings me to tears thinking about the amount of love and support you all have brought to my family. I’m forever indebted to you all for your kindness. Hope to see you all at the next big event!

With Love,
Maurice

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 92
So glad you're back with us, @moedawg140! Please get well soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back