Mods for SR-009
May 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #94 of 170
Looking good Jean Luc!  Good job with the leather glue up.

May 23, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #97 of 170
 The weight of this headband is 0.6.98lb alone, and with the ear cups the overall weight is 1.10.22lb, so my 009's are now heavier headphones.
But with the band being wider than normal, that weight is supported better which makes my 009's very comfortable.

For the asking price of the 009's when they first came out, the headband should've been better built and looking. If I was able to design an headphone, I'd have the headband with similar looks to the one I have, but it would be made of carbon fibre with suede on the inside like I have on my headband.
Carbon fibre is extremely strong, light and I think it would go well with the Aluminium ear cups.

Hopefully the SR-011 might have a carbon fibre headband that has a similar shape to the one I have.

May 23, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #98 of 170
Sony SA5000's headband looks nice to try. Should much weightless then alu. plates.

Or you may get a Sony SA1000, they're $99 on Amazon US or £85 on Amazon UK.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #101 of 170
Quote:
Great Job,
I might have to consider doing this myself!

IMO the SR-009 headband has a critical design flaw and for such an expensive headphone is extremely poorly made. Personally I have never experienced any issues with Stax build quality except due to age (ie 20/30 year old models) when the plastic gets brittle.

I have a set of 009's which are just 18 months old, and the plastic clips which hold the headband in place have BOTH fractured
They are used most days and are always handled with great care.

I believe this is due to a combination of the weight of the ear capsules and very poor construction quality of these plastic clips.

I would be interested to know if any other regular users of the SR-009 have experienced similar issues?

I realize I am a but late to this party, but want to mention I had the exact same thing happen with my SR-507. I was not as unfortunate as you, as only one of mine broke. I looked around for a while to find someone who could use my unbroken part as a template to build me a new set out of metal. In the end it wasn't worth the cost, as I found the headband very uncomfortable. Instead I chose to replace it with a SR-202 headband.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #102 of 170
I've been using the new headband I did for my 009's for just over 3 months, and I couldn't be happier.
Not only do my new look 009's feel extremely comfortable, but to me they are now one of the best looking headphones I've ever seen.
The new band also feels very strong and secure, so I'm not worried about anything breaking, however if anything did happen, I'd just sort out another band and do the same to that as I did with the one I have.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #103 of 170
So what's the problem with the SQ?
Quote:
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with the SQ from the 009's, but there's no way I'll ever get rid of mine, I like the look and feel of them too much.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #104 of 170
Yeah I kinda feel the same way about them, - for me it's the lows, compared to Sennheiser HD800. I have both, and switch between them depending on the track I'm listening to :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back