Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #2,431 of 3,042
"... ...So I owned it, and it was very realistic, more so than another unit I just bought, an xDuo XD05, which was an AKM dac/amp.
In the end I sold the dam ifi, and kept the cheap xDuoo..!
Why?
because the dam burr brown dac was sounding tooo dam dark and bold, while the akm dac was sweet and laid back.
Then, I later swapped the opamp chip for better clarity on the xDuoo."
What opamp did you choose to put into your xDuoo XD-05?

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,434 of 3,042
Guys what do you think of this kind of EMI/RFI shielding coating/spray/paints?

It’s probably worth exploring it’s application within the Walkman non-conductive components or even in headphones driver internal enclosure area.

It’s electrically conductive, so be careful where you apply it. Don’t apply on pcb boards or electrical pinouts and etc.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2,436 of 3,042
ExtrtemePro 400GB MicroSD.jpeg

Sandisk Extreme Pro 400GB showed up in the HK Computer Mall stores (Shum Shui Po, -Golden Computer City) for a very reasonable price, HKD600 (USD75), so I picked one up to try. I hesitated, as I wanted a bigger card, and had no experience/conviction about whether it was worth getting, even though there are quite a few write ups about how the flash memory card can affect the audio playback sound, it somehow still did not feel real to me, so I flip flopped about getting it or not. Finally decided to try one, as I could always use a 400GB card in one of my other DAPs. (ZX300, ZX507)

So I formatted it in the WM1Z, and copied the 350GB of music from the old card onto it, and gave it a listen to see if I could sense any difference. I'll admit I did not expect much, other than the suspicion that that there might be a slight difference which would be hard to quantify.

Well, I am in shock.

The first think noticed was that bass was more solid and deeper. Continuing on, vocals had more micro detail, and voices had a clarity and purity in low level detail that was not present before. Sound was more immersive and emotive. PRAT/rythms better. The sound felt "live", compared to with the old MicroSD cards (Sandisk and Transend regular Class 10 cards). It is a significant upgrade to the sound, of a magnitude equivalent to a mod.
Let me quantify, though, that the differences may be considered small, but to me, are ultra important, as this is the area that I am interested in, and my system is aimed at, so to me, it is very significant, as it moves the music to be more involving, toe-tapping, musical. The differences I observe are felt, rather than measured. My gauge is whether it can pull me in, and I enjoy the music, and keep listening, without being bored, or losing attention. And I start to notice details in vocals, and a clarity, that I had not heard before. And I think I am hearing better Micro Dynamics (an Aminus term). And God forbid, that it does not put me to sleep, or leave me bored and not paying attention to the music, as has happened on some systems/music.

My theorizing about what is happening is that it has reduced the noise in the system, and as this is in the guts of the system, a reduction of noise has a major effect, to reduce the noise floor, and free up the processor, amps from the extra work of handling the noise, which the extra bass is a symptom of. And allows more micro details to be present, as it is not being masked. The effect is a more transparent and open sound, like a layer of graininess has been removed.

The equivalent that I can think of is when reducing the noise on the AC power in a home audio system. And then wondering how a change on the AC power resulted in stronger bass, better voice details, etc.....

After also trying the Exteme Pro on the ZX507 for awhile, I went back and got another 400GB card. It was a no-brainer purchase that I had no trouble justifying, to equip both main DAPs with the Extreme Pro MicroSD card. It is a bonus that the card is reasonably priced, and I would probably get it even if it cost more, after trying it out.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #2,437 of 3,042
What opamp did you choose to put into your xDuoo XD-05?
I tried two, but ended up staying with the popular burnson chip mentioned in the thread.

Guys what do you think of this kind of EMI/RFI shielding coating/spray/paints?

It’s probably worth exploring it’s application within the Walkman non-conductive components or even in headphones driver internal enclosure area.

It’s electrically conductive, so be careful where you apply it. Don’t apply on pcb boards or electrical pinouts and etc.

I know about that but I got this silver
15926657070957776647393704905806.jpg
because silver is the best conductor.
:)

I don't expect any interference to reach the chips due to the thick case of the Sony.

what I expect is possible interference from generated noise of other components in this unit.
That's why I see the ground wire routed away from the main chip.

I plan to use the paint only around the edges of the chip(to block interference), not in the center, as I don't want the chips's own generated noise to reflect back in.
I will then also use a small dot of TDK type material in the center.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,438 of 3,042
Let me quantify, though, that the differences may be considered small, but to me, are ultra importan
This is very important to me as well!
I assume everyone would want as much details as possible.

Can you perform one more test, and compare it to the internal memory?

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,439 of 3,042

I already did a while ago, the differences are very small, but the Extreme Pro and the Sony Cards are both on the same tiers. The only differences is that the Pro has much higher capabilities. Both of these surpass the internal memory. The internal memory only has lower noises floor when compared to the Samsung which also gives it a better performances (mainly the separations). However the bass on both of these cards are something else

The reason why I did not buy it but stayed with Samsung were because Samsung was much cheaper, but since the Pro can go up to 1Tb now at the given prices, I am sold.

pity, it is not sold in the USA

The next thing we want to spread is how much “Audiophile quality” this card can bring.....because once it is wide spread, expect a $3,000 Card....LOL

@ttt123 get the 1TB one :)....and I am thinking that I want 2TB or even more lol

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,440 of 3,042

I did a different test. I selected music by folder, so I was sure I was playing music off the SD card. I was curious to see whether the difference was observable when the card was being read, as the LED beside the card shows when it is being accessed. It looks like the DAP reads a chunk of data off the microSD card, and buffers it in memory to play, so I wondered if it was the read access that generated the noise. It does not, but the improvement seems constant, and is not affected by whether the card is being read or not.
From this, I theorize that it is the lower noise on the Extreme Pro card that is giving the beneficial effect.

Also, as I believe standard data storage/access process would be to read a chunk of data from the SD card/HDD, etc., and buffer it to RAM, to reduce any latency/lags, etc., and as the WM1Z microSD access LED is only lit intermittently, then the WM1Z actual music playback would be off the RAM, and not directly off the MicroSD card. Given this, then it is the better grade of MicroSD in the system that is giving an improvement to EVERYTHING, including the Internal flash memory. If both the internal flash memory and the MicroSD card playback uses the same data fetch process, then both are being buffered onto the system RAM (unless Sony implemented special audio buffer memory), so there should theoretically be no difference whether the music is stored on the Internal memory, or the MicroSD card.

Of course the above is just theorizing, and if the results prove this theory is wrong, then we need to look for another explanation.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,441 of 3,042
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #2,442 of 3,042
I think you pretty much summed up all of the above. Once the info is lost, it is lost forever, so the error corrections works differently. Error corrections is like a guessing by the algorithms. It gets close, but it can’t be as good as correct information

Noises creates a fluctuations of voltages, and information of binary bits are also voltages....so then of course noises would affect the retrieved information accuracy

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,443 of 3,042
I already did a while ago, the differences are very small, but the Extreme Pro and the Sony Cards are both on the same tiers. The only differences is that the Pro has much higher capabilities. Both of these surpass the internal memory. The internal memory only has lower noises floor when compared to the Samsung which also gives it a better performances (mainly the separations). However the bass on both of these cards are something else

The reason why I did not buy it but stayed with Samsung were because Samsung was much cheaper, but since the Pro can go up to 1Tb now at the given prices, I am sold.

pity, it is not sold in the USA

The next thing we want to spread is how much “Audiophile quality” this card can bring.....because once it is wide spread, expect a $3,000 Card....LOL

@ttt123 get the 1TB one :)....and I am thinking that I want 2TB or even more lol
I am an inherently cheap, but foolish audiophile. Meaning my inbred frugality gives me difficulties when I cannot justify the cost. But most of the time do justify and convince myself,in the end, after agonizing over it, and rationalizing.
I can't easily justify a 1TB card at the moment, though taking a look at the price, it is not bad, and doable, at USD306

The Extreme Pro 1TB is HKD $2390 - $4,380 (USD306 - USD561).

****************************************************************************************************************************
SanDisk Extreme A2 microSDXC UHS-I Card 1TB [R:160 W:90]
No ratings
species:SDXC
capacity:1TB
speed:Read 160MB/s, Write 90MB/s
HK$2,060-2,200
Compare quotes

**************************************************************************************************************************

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,445 of 3,042
@ttt123

I would also recommend to try applying deoxit gold to clean the microsd card's gold contacts.

Deoxit gold can be used to clean 4.4mm or 3.5mm Jacks or any other connectors.

Although in my experience this application needs to be reapplied every six months or so.

"DeoxIT® Gold, #G100L-2DB (Brush) - CAIG" https://caig.com/product/deoxit-gold-g100l-2db/

Also regular contact Cleaner can be used as well if deoxit gold is too expensive.

https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/
Yep, I am a long time believer/advocate of oxide cleaners, from using them about 30 years ago on TV tuners, when nothing else would work. Started with a German product called Cramolin, that I used in Canada.
Then when I went looking to get some more while in HK, found that Cramolin was not available anywhere, and the replacement was Caig Deoxit. My little bottles of Pro Gold, and Red Deoxit are essential maintenance tools which I would be lost without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back