Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,446 of 3,042
What I notice with my old zx2 walkman is that it sounded slightly more better in transient dynamics without a microsd card plugged in. This is experienced by playing the same track on walkman internal memory. I think you guys can test out this no microsd effect for yourself with your own walkman too.

I speculate that the microsd card is drawing away usable battery power/current even when not accessed. Clean electrical supply and strong Current delivery is critical to good sound quality and dynamics in an audio system.

I think maybe in the case of ttt123 new sdcard. It could be because the new sdcard has better idle power consumption from better manufacturing process. Thus it's causing less electrical draw/disturbance/noise to the walkman power supply and etc. That contributed to the perceived sound quality improvements.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #2,447 of 3,042
I think you pretty much summed up all of the above. Once the info is lost, it is lost forever, so the error corrections works differently. Error corrections is like a guessing by the algorithms. It gets close, but it can’t be as good as correct information

Noises creates a fluctuations of voltages, and information of binary bits are also voltages....so then of course noises would affect the retrieved information accuracy
There is another aspect to noise which us old analog people have experience with. Take the front speaker cover off while the tonearm needle is riding on the vinyl record, on a blank lead in/out groove. You will see the woofer cone moving at subsonic frequencies. Very large oscillations of the speaker cone can be seen, but not heard. Now imagine the amount of amplifier power that is parasitically drained off, and not available to apply to real music. Noise can do the same thing to computing and amplifying circuits, causing them to do parasitic work.

In the case of CPU effects, noise can choke systems due to the errors caused on the address/data buses, and the excess error handling invoked. My real life experience with this is from troubleshooting Telephone Central Office switches (my job, for many years), where a remote site with 5 multiprocessor nodes, handling 5000 telephone lines, was periodically locking up. All 5 nodes would lock up, within a short space of time. We took them apart, replaced everything, and it kept happening.
After months of this, we finally replaced all the power converters, even though there were no alarms, voltage/current were all normal, etc.

Found 1 power converter had degraded electrolytic filter capacitors, and was allowing a high ripple voltage on the 5V rail. (these are all high current switching converters).
This ripple/noise was carried over signal leads to the other 5 nodes, and this caused errors on the address/data buses, massive error handling, and all the processors locking up, one after the other. Proven in the lab, where a power converter was instrumented so we could turn a pot, and control the amount of ripple being produced. At 1.2-1.5V of ripple, the processors would get into trouble, and start locking up.

So the above is an example of how noise can affect CPUs and Amplifiers. Even before data is lost, or there is major system impact, noise can cause parasitic loss of CPU cycles, and amplifier power. Bottom line is that things get pretty complicated, and systems can be thrashing, even when they look normal.

Data loss will eventually happen, if the system is thrashing enough to not be able to process everything, and needs to through away work, flush buffers, etc. The vaunted data correction mechanisms are for a "normal" system. When systems get abnormal, then there are no guarantees any more.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,448 of 3,042
@ttt123

You are crazy! Bits are Bits! It's not possible for digital data to go wrong! How can sdcard sound different? Flac is lossless so it must sound the same! Bit perfect! Nyquist theorem only requires 44.1Khz sampling rate, anymore is blasphemy! All LDAC codec source devices must sound the same! It's not possible for Sony to change sound signature in their firmware without acknowledgement! You have to do ABX test or your results are invalid!

Ok I am just joking here.:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,449 of 3,042
I am an inherently cheap, but foolish audiophile. Meaning my inbred frugality gives me difficulties when I cannot justify the cost. But most of the time do justify and convince myself,in the end, after agonizing over it, and rationalizing.
I can't easily justify a 1TB card at the moment, though taking a look at the price, it is not bad, and doable, at USD306

The Extreme Pro 1TB is HKD $2390 - $4,380 (USD306 - USD561).

An somebody suggest a store on AliExpress that sell original 1tb extreme pro cards?
****************************************************************************************************************************
SanDisk Extreme A2 microSDXC UHS-I Card 1TB [R:160 W:90]
No ratings
species:SDXC
capacity:1TB
speed:Read 160MB/s, Write 90MB/s
HK$2,060-2,200
Compare quotes

**************************************************************************************************************************

• Add comparison
    SanDisk Extreme Pro A2 microSDXC UHS-I Card 1TB [R:170 W:90]
    No ratings
    species:microSDXC
    capacity:1TB
    speed:Read 170MB/s, Write 90MB/s
    HK$2,390-4,380
    Compare quotes
  • icon.gif

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,450 of 3,042
@ttt123

You are crazy! Bits are Bits! It's not possible for digital data to go wrong! How can sdcard sound different? Flac is lossless so it must sound the same! Bit perfect! Nyquist theorem only requires 44.1Khz sampling rate, anymore is blasphemy! All LDAC codec source devices must sound the same! It's not possible for Sony to change sound signature in their firmware without acknowledgement! You have to do ABX test or your results are invalid!

Yeah, I have seen these posts somewhere and it is pretty disturbing LOL
Error corrections can even be seen in gaming graphics too when it glitched...doesn’t mean it would get stuck and not moving anymore, but rather the info are not accurate and the corrections compute as good as it could to overcome it....until it froze ofcourse

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,451 of 3,042
One thing to pay attention when listening for changes to sound/critically evaluating gears.

Try to get your background listening environment to as quiet as possible. It will help with your ability to discern micro plankton details better, especially soft bass notes.

I listen at wee hours of the morning in an aircon room with windows closed. It averages around 30db(a) background level base on the sound meter app of my iPhone.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #2,452 of 3,042
@ttt123

OK, OK, I admit I was mistaken. I had just overdosed on junk food and cake, and 2 litres of coke, and I was on a sugar high.

Anyways, I was sure you guys would not be easily fooled. After all, the bits coming out of one SD card are the same as the bits coming out of the other SD card, so it MUST sound the same. And if I thought the sound from one SD card was better than the sound from another SD card, then I must have been delusional. Regardless of what I heard. After all, you can't trust what your ears and brain tell you, without consulting with higher authorities on what you should have heard.

And I already have my learnings from the early days of digital to fall back on, when the Audio CD was introduced. I still remember repeating the mantras, until I fell comatose:
- Digital CDs are perfect
- All CD players are perfect, and sound the same, except for having different features
-All amplifiers are perfect and sound the same. The only reason to pay more is for more features
-Exotic cables are the devil's spawn. All you need is 10 cents a foot cable from Radio Shack, or the hardware store. Just make sure it is thick enough.
-All people are the same. Don't pay any more than you need to. OK, maybe pay a little more for a wife. But not too much! After all, they are consumerables, with a finite lifespan...

See, I am not really totally ignorant. Just mostly.

In the world of 1984, I would turn to Big Brother to get my approved thought and speech. And Newspeak would be the perfect language to guide us to correct thinking. Thankfully, the leaders of our modern world are working like mad to make that a reality. Can't wait until we don't have to think anymore!

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,453 of 3,042
OK, OK, I admit I was mistaken. I had just overdosed on junk food and cake, and 2 litres of coke, and I was on a sugar high.

Anyways, I was sure you guys would not be easily fooled. After all, the bits coming out of one SD card are the same as the bits coming out of the other SD card, so it MUST sound the same. And if I thought the sound from one SD card was better than the sound from another SD card, then I must have been delusional. Regardless of what I heard. After all, you can't trust what your ears and brain tell you, without consulting with higher authorities on what you should have heard.

And I already have my learnings from the early days of digital to fall back on, when the Audio CD was introduced. I still remember repeating the mantras, until I fell comatose:
- All CD players are perfect, and sound the same, except for having different features
-All amplifiers are perfect and sound the same. The only reason to pay more is for more features
-Exotic cables are the devil's spawn. All you need is 10 cents a foot cable from Radio Shack, or the hardware store. Just make sure it is thick enough.
-All people are the same. Don't pay any more than you need to. OK, maybe pay a little more for a wife. But not too much! After all, they are consumerables, with a finite lifespan...

In the world of 1984, I would turn to Big Brother to get my approved thought and speech. And Newspeak would be the perfect language to guide us to correct thinking. Thankfully, the leaders of our modern world are working like mad to make that a reality. Can't wait until we don't have to think anymore!
Foods for thought toward the self proclaimed “pros” scientists !!! Well said

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,454 of 3,042

We love such an obedient fellow, welcome to the fold! Notice the sarcasm Lol 😂

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #2,456 of 3,042
Foods for thought toward the self proclaimed “pros” scientists !!! Well said

Galileo was placed under house arrest after the Pope and his inquisition found him guilty of heresy for his views on the sun being the center of the universe

Seems there will always be a Pope or two claiming heresy of some sort or another

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,457 of 3,042
Galileo was placed under house arrest after the Pope and his inquisition found him guilty of heresy for his views on the sun being the center of the universe

Seems there will always be a Pope or two claiming heresy of some sort or another
That is why we can’t have nice things

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,458 of 3,042

Its the weekends guys. Don't be such bitter fellows :L3000:

Better be kumbaya and hold hands and sing along together; everyone follow me ...one, two, three! Hahahahaha :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,460 of 3,042

A bit of trivia. Today is the 387th anniversary of the day Galileo was forced to recant, and admit he was wrong to say the Earth revolved around the Sun.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smit...-ago-today-galileo-forced-to-recant-18323485/
Jun 22, 2011
Today marks the 378th anniversary of the day the Inquisition forced Galileo to say he was wrong— that the Earth did not revolve around the sun. Galileo had made the proclamation in his book Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, and whether he really believed what he was saying that summer day is debatable. Legend has it that after he recanted his views, Galileo muttered, “And yet it moves,” under his breath, but David DeVorkin, senior curator at the National Air and Space Museum, says there’s no historical basis for that claim.

“I would never say he didn’t say it,” DeVorkin said, “but the best historians say there’s no proof.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back