Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #2,416 of 3,042
741D3B32-836C-4D57-9B21-61AE0DE6CEE6.jpeg

I’ve had the MAX sitting in front of me the whole afternoon but could not muscle up the motivation to unbox it as I’m too engrossed listening to the 1ZEM:L3000:

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #2,418 of 3,042
Just when I wanted to score this as SHM-SACD, two shops gave my money back stating that it is discontinued.
Screenshot_20200617-105526_Chrome.jpg

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,422 of 3,042
IMG_3922.jpg

This is the sight I have been facing for the past couple of days. From Left to Right; stock 1Z, @Vitaly2017 Romi BG 1Z & @Whitigir 1Z-EM. A big thanks to both. It's a sight to behold and 1Z overload to be honest.

This post will focus on the 1Z-EM and listening is done with IER-Z1R+PW Lucifer (amazing cable - both looks and performance).

Again, I am only going to give a simple, easy reading summary of my impressions as I feel like I am running out of verses, words. grammer and descriptive styles; the usual "larger sound stage, better resolution, deeper bass, etc...." is getting a bit stale and long in the tooth.

In summary, the 1Z-EM is a technical monster.

Stock Z is tuned for a warm, smooth, soothing and signature; it is very pleasant to listen to till date (even vs extensively modded players). Good for listening to for long periods and I can just sink inside the music and many a times I have fallen asleep listening to it.

The 1Z-EM on the other hand begs to be listen. It gets your attention from the start go and never lets go. The smallest details are laid bare in front of me and it takes no effort to notice the nuances of the recordings - Vibrations on strings; piano hits, texture on instruments and voice, the intensity and density of the notes. Layering, separation and imaging is from a another universe; yes I can hear and peel off each and every layer of the presentation and all this is possible due to the holographic sound stage that extends uniformly in all axis. There are no voids in the sound stage. I "hear" ambience and presence and the presentation sounds "live" due to the accurate timbres - Tuning is focused on realism. The final comment I have and this is the absolute strongest point of the 1Z-EM is the emotions it can invoke within me listening to me... this transcends any technical aspects of the player... so in tangible but so important. I really can't describe it any better and this is something that needs to be listened to. So... Is there anything bad about the player? YES... It's been taking too much of my time listening to it cause I find it hard to put it down.... and I can't listen to it before going to bed cause it will just make me sit up; pay attention and give me a sleepless night.

There you have it.... the 1Z-EM is an experience and no longer a DAP to me. :beerchug:

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2,423 of 3,042
So just had a question, what is this "EM" mod available for the 1A, and what does it change? I was thinking about modding my 1A to provide a sound as close to the 1Z as possible and was wondering if this mod would do that.

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #2,424 of 3,042
So just had a question, what is this "EM" mod available for the 1A, and what does it change? I was thinking about modding my 1A to provide a sound as close to the 1Z as possible and was wondering if this mod would do that.
This mod will make your 1A sound a bit closer to 1Z yeah. I DIY both players myself too. More pleasing high, cleaner fuller dynamic mid and larger heavier bass.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,426 of 3,042
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #2,427 of 3,042
This mod will make your 1A sound a bit closer to 1Z yeah. I DIY both players myself too. More pleasing high, cleaner fuller dynamic mid and larger heavier bass.

1A-EM has extensive CAP upgrades and internals wires for Balanced output and battery changed to pure gold wires. It will surpass stock 1Z’s performance and give it a more analog signature. It’s not only HW mods and includes a customized FW upgrade which gives a complete solution.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #2,428 of 3,042
IMG_3922.jpg

This is the sight I have been facing for the past couple of days. From Left to Right; stock 1Z, @Vitaly2017 Romi BG 1Z & @Whitigir 1Z-EM. A big thanks to both. It's a sight to behold and 1Z overload to be honest.

This post will focus on the 1Z-EM and listening is done with IER-Z1R+PW Lucifer (amazing cable - both looks and performance).

Again, I am only going to give a simple, easy reading summary of my impressions as I feel like I am running out of verses, words. grammer and descriptive styles; the usual "larger sound stage, better resolution, deeper bass, etc...." is getting a bit stale and long in the tooth.

In summary, the 1Z-EM is a technical monster.

Stock Z is tuned for a warm, smooth, soothing and signature; it is very pleasant to listen to till date (even vs extensively modded players). Good for listening to for long periods and I can just sink inside the music and many a times I have fallen asleep listening to it.

The 1Z-EM on the other hand begs to be listen. It gets your attention from the start go and never lets go. The smallest details are laid bare in front of me and it takes no effort to notice the nuances of the recordings - Vibrations on strings; piano hits, texture on instruments and voice, the intensity and density of the notes. Layering, separation and imaging is from a another universe; yes I can hear and peel off each and every layer of the presentation and all this is possible due to the holographic sound stage that extends uniformly in all axis. There are no voids in the sound stage. I "hear" ambience and presence and the presentation sounds "live" due to the accurate timbres - Tuning is focused on realism. The final comment I have and this is the absolute strongest point of the 1Z-EM is the emotions it can invoke within me listening to me... this transcends any technical aspects of the player... so in tangible but so important. I really can't describe it any better and this is something that needs to be listened to. So... Is there anything bad about the player? YES... It's been taking too much of my time listening to it cause I find it hard to put it down.... and I can't listen to it before going to bed cause it will just make me sit up; pay attention and give me a sleepless night.

There you have it.... the 1Z-EM is an experience and no longer a DAP to me. :beerchug:

Nice little impression review man me just looking at all those 3 1z's and my eyes are glowing and I am totally hypnotized sooo much gold hehe I am mean gold for the ears!!!
Yumsy yummsy!

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,429 of 3,042
1A-EM has extensive CAP upgrades and internals wires for Balanced output and battery changed to pure gold wires. It will surpass stock 1Z’s performance and give it a more analog signature. It’s not only HW mods and includes a customized FW upgrade which gives a complete solution.
Now that's quite impressive. :thumbsup: :ksc75smile:
Especially having the right tune FW go together with that particular HW mods. That is absolute heaven.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,430 of 3,042

Where would I go/who would I talk to if I wanted to get this done? Is there website (such as Romi Audio) that has more information on hardware specs and pricing? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back